• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Why can't I attract birds? (1 Viewer)

I live in the center of about 20 oak trees. There's birds everywhere except where I want them. I have a huge plate glass window looking out into the back yard. I'm wanting birds to hang out in that area. I've hung a diy bird feeder from a tree out there with some generic cheap variety bird seed, I built a diy bird bath with a little fountain for them and I've hung several bird houses in the area but not too close to the fountain and food. It's been a month and I have yet to see a bird anywhere in this area. They haven't ate the first seed. They haven't used the bird bath not even once and they have no interest in the bird houses. What have I done wrong? I do have a hummingbird feeder hanging from the window and I see a hummingbird everyday but as far as every other bird goes. They don't pay this area any attention. Is it because I live in the middle of 3 acres of woods and they already have all they need? Advice please and thank you.

Hi chrisdiehl

It's difficult for me to say for sure, but it could be that as it is now autumn (sorry fall for you LOL) there is plenty of natural food for them to eat. However, when supplies get reduced they should come across your menu and check it out.

Whether you're providing the right mix of feed will depend very much on what birds are in the area and also if they would feel secure going to the feeders (is there somewhere to escape to if a hawk pays a visit?) for instance.

Please let us know how you get on - a picture may help with giving more advice too.

Here's the fountain I made. To the right is the door going into the house and about where I'm standing to take this picture is a large oak tree that has the feeder hanging from it. It is still very much summer here and consistently gets up to 100 degrees f. Not sure if that matters much though. The window hanging will have a viney plant of some sort growing up and out soon hopefully.
4e8071b52dbd2ee9d6b6ec2583155d36.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

How far away is the nearest "cover" quite a lot of the smaller birds like to approach the feeder from this cover, it also gives them a place to flee to if threatened. I would suggest a distance of no more than 15feet would make them feel safe.

Den

The nearest cover is a little bit away. Maybe 40 yards or so. Could that be the problem? I'm also thinking that they have food everywhere in the woods around us. All kinds of bugs and worms I'm sure.

Hi again Chris

I'm sure that the availability of natural food is part of the problem. But the lack of close cover will be the biggest issue.

So..... either move the feeders closer to where there is some cover, or plant some nearby.

If I turn around from where I took the picture of the fountain, this is the backyard. It's their nearest cover and probably has all the food they could ever want.
8ba679ff00de44c24b90eba1b2016e69.jpg

I think there may be two problems. First one is the lack of cover which has been mentioned. Birds like to be able to take cover quickly which is why feeders should be hung near to trees or shrubs or bushes. The second problem could be the huge plate glass window. If you are sitting/standing/moving about behind the huge window, it will put the birds off.

I don't think the supply of natural food will have much impact. My house backs on to woodland and there are fields all around, but I still get a huge number of birds visiting my feeders every day. Another thought - I wonder if your bird bath is too small? The birds in my garden like the large, wide and shallow bird bath we have.

Cover for passerines would be an issue. A wide open area around feeders is ideal for a passing Sparrowhawk etc. About 6 feet max imo from a hedge or protective shrubbery would be good. My feeder dangles from a shrubby Willow from which the birds can hang out in when popping on and off the feeder:t:

Laurie -

Cover for passerines would be an issue. A wide open area around feeders is ideal for a passing Sparrowhawk etc. About 6 feet max imo from a hedge or protective shrubbery would be good. My feeder dangles from a shrubby Willow from which the birds can hang out in when popping on and off the feeder:t:

Laurie -

Yep 4-6 feet from cover, not right beside it because that allows predators to lurk and surprise the birds. So just beyond one cat-leap away!

Also, birds watch each other. So once it catches on, you will find more and more at the feeders.

I have planted shrubs around my feeder area that provide a place for birds to flee from hawks and neighbors' cats that they let run wild. A bird can perch on a branch within 3 feet of a feeder and they always land first near the feeder and then make a short flight to the first feeder.

I also have a generic feeder that attracts many species but also a thistle feeder for finches and a feeder with sunflower seeds in the hull for the grosbeaks and ground feed quail and towhees and sparrows. My sugar water feeders attract hummingbirds and hooded orioles. A whole peanut feeder attracts acorn woodpeckers, Steller's jays, and scrub jays.

The birds go from tree limbs to branches of the shrubs and from there to a feeder or to the ground. They need to travel at most a distance of 3 feet to reach safety. Want more birds then plant some bird friendly bushes in your yard as well as some very close to your feeding area.

All good ideas that elkhornsun suggested. In the meanwhile, for quick short term solutions:

1. Hang two or three different types of feeders from the limbs of the big tree in the second picture. You will probably need squirrel baffles on the wire or cable supporting the feeders, placed above the feeders so that squirrels cannot climb down wire to access the feeder. Also hang feeders far enough from main trunk so squirrels can’t jump to the feeders.

2. After birds start using feeders under the tree, invest in a couple of rods or posts stuck firmly in the ground with hooks and brackets to attach more feeders placed about 20’ from the tree and closer to your house. Be sure to attach squirrel baffles on the posts to keep squirrels from climbing up the posts. By attaching forking dead branches to the posts above the feeders, you will provide the birds with something to land on so they can survey the feeders. This makes a big difference. Also the same kind of landing perch next to any kind of bird bath makes the birds much happier and more secure.

3. Cheap bird food is a waste of money. Invest in several different kinds such as peanuts and niger (thistle), but always use black sunflower seed as your primary food. If you do these quick solutions, and implement the long term landscaping suggestions by elkhorsun (using only native plants) you will create a bird haven in your back yard just in time for fall migration.

4. As you attract more birds you will need to do something to prevent birds from crashing into your picture window. There are some commercial stickers available, and a variety of homemade solutions. Lots of information on the internet.

5. Get some decent 6x or 7x power binoculars to keep by your window, a fieldguide, and enjoy. Good luck.

One other factor is that in the summer most birds feed mostly on insects (fat and protein). In the early fall they like to fatten up for migration so they eat a high carb diet, fruit. In late fall and winter they eat seeds. So in the summer the bird will mainly be in the woods behind your house except for utilizing different water features you may provide, and an occasional snack on seeds.

But in the fall and winter those still around will flock to your yard. Especially if you plant native bushes, vines, and trees that bear fruit.

The thing is that birds are not looking for adventurous new ways to eat and so they tend to avoid any new setup, meaning a new feeder generally takes a long while to attract any. I do have a thought though, supposing the feeder in question is in a spot that's safe for them. At one time it was common practice in my region to put out stale white bread to attract birds, in fact my parents even bought special cheap 'bird bread' to put out in their platform feeder, only stopping when they realised they were exclusively pulling in hordes of starlings and grackles (in their defense, there was hardly any quality wild bird seed available in those days). Anyway, the bread had the effect of making all the birds in the area comfortable with the spot they were feeding from and so when the grackles and starlings were gone, my parents were able to attract birds with what seed they could buy.

Which is a long winded way of suggesting that you try putting out some bread for a while to get a few birds coming in, then taper that off once the birds know your feeder is there and is safe to use. Bread is of course supposed to be a bad food for birds in the long run, but as I say you should only have to deploy it for a short while to get things going. Or you can just wait, patience always pays in the long run as far as feeders go.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back