• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

One redirect too many? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
I was just editing an entry where I wanted to put in a link to Australasian Gannet, which however produced a broken link. I therefore searched for Gannet in the expectation of getting a list of the possible gannets. Instead I got Northern Gannet, because someone had put in a redirect. I had to do a search for Morus to get my list and find out that the one i wanted was Australian Gannet.

So my question is, is this one redirect that should not have been made? or would it be too surprising to the casual British/European birder that there was more than one gannet?

cheers
Niels

That should definitely go to a list of possible gannets rather than straight redirect to Northern.

Furthermore: there are certainly other situations like this. I found a similar case this morning. Santee Lakes, California listed White Pelican which redirected to Great White Pelican Pelecanus onocrotalis. Obviously from context this should have gone to American White Pelican P. erythrorhynchos, and I edited accordingly.

So, how to fix things like this? I just edited the White Pelican redirect so it prompts the user to select between the two options, using as a template the existing page for Nuthatch.

B***r it that was me in the early days!:-C

I did loads without realising it was quite so 'global' and I wasn't the only one;)

Most of them have been fixed in the way you have done jt but I think there are some more - came across 'Quail' yesterday but didn't have the strength to sort it at the time.

All the ones I did (and know about) I've put on my Watch List, in the hope that one day we'll find out how to delete pages.

I think my biggest boob was Kingfisher:eek!:

D

hmmm... I'm in trouble now.

With all those incorrect Re-directs deleted there's now loads of broken links everywhere.

I can do most of the UK ones, (White-fronted Goose is giving me a problem though) but when it gets to southern Europe etc I just haven't the knowledge to know which one (sometimes a choice of many) it should be.

Even clicking on all the options, doesn't always help as there are still so many Stubs.

For instance 'Reed Warbler' in Akrotiri - there's 26 of them:eek!: I know it's not 'Great Reed' as that is also listed... do I presume it's Eurasian?

That's just an example BTW

D

I'm facing the same problem, but I will fix it for the Swiss sites. I guess Reed Warbler would be Eurasian there.
There is still a lot of work to do....;)

Off to the Swiss birdrace now..... (More about it on Sunday)

hmmm... I'm in trouble now.

With all those incorrect Re-directs deleted there's now loads of broken links everywhere.

For instance 'Reed Warbler' in Akrotiri - there's 26 of them:eek!: I know it's not 'Great Reed' as that is also listed... do I presume it's Eurasian?

Yesterday I went through and cleaned up the damage from my White Pelican redirect mentioned above. The one errant redirect to "Great White Pelican" in southern California (should have been American) was not so much a problem. That the entirety of southeastern Europe was using unmodified White Pelican...that took a while to fix, and I tried to clean up anything else broken on the same page. (Felt like I spent half an hour typing "Eurasian" and "Common" in front of various things!) Unmodified "Reed Warbler" in the western Palearctic should be Eurasian. Great Reed is the only widespread alternative, and the fairly systematic checklist pattern of listing "Reed Warbler, Great Reed Warbler" is a dead giveaway. This at least can be sorted with a look at Collins, since I've never been anywhere with multiple reed warblers. There is a bunch of stuff out there that will need local knowledge or some taxonomic expertise to sort, though. Collins does not do a good job defining the wintering ranges for European and Siberian Stonechat, for example.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back