• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best Video Head with Arca Swiss type Quick release (1 Viewer)

sunlight

Looking for advice for the best head to use with my Kowa 88. Was thinking of a video type fluid head but would like one with an arca swiss type release to use as well with my DSLR. Any recommendations on what to look at would be much appreciated.

I searched for the same thing but finally settled on the Gitzo G2380. Works very well with my 883 and is also good for my DSLR and 300/2.8.

Any way to convert this to an arca swiss quick release? Hate having multiple different plates to use and would rather stick with one system.

For the past two or three years I have used a Berlebach 552, which uses Arca-Swiss plates.

It is stable, lightweight (820 g) and very well made (all CNC) and is rated up to 6 kg. There is adjustable tilt friction, independantly lockable pan and tilt, and a pre-load lever for scopes or cameras weighing more than 2 kg.
A disadvantage is the price of around €400.

For use with a camera the three-way version (642) might be of interest. There is also a smaller, lighter and cheaper version (510) rated at 5 kg.

Should you decide to go with Gitzo there is an adapter from their "C" plates to Arca-Swiss (Part no. GS5160CDT) or a universal Arca-Swiss adapter for 1/4" or 3/8" (GS5360AS).

John

I searched for the same thing but finally settled on the Gitzo G2380. Works very well with my 883 and is also good for my DSLR and 300/2.8.

I have also a 2380 head.
I have put on the gitzo plate (with 2 bolts) a wimberley clamp and so i can use arca swiss style plates.

Looking for advice for the best head to use with my Kowa 88. Was thinking of a video type fluid head but would like one with an arca swiss type release to use as well with my DSLR. Any recommendations on what to look at would be much appreciated.

I've looked for the same but I didn't find anything light enough to suit my needs. I think the easiest solution is to bolt an Arca-type plate clamp (such as one of the RRS models) to your (in other respects) favorite head.

--AP

I've looked for the same but I didn't find anything light enough to suit my needs. I think the easiest solution is to bolt an Arca-type plate clamp (such as one of the RRS models) to your (in other respects) favorite head.

--AP

See post #4. The Berlebach 510 weighs 700 g, not much heavier than a Manfrotto 700 RC2, and better in every way.
There would be no point in stacking an Arca-swiss adapter on top of another QR system and I know of no other good lightweight heads lacking QR.

John

Last edited:
See post #4. The Berlebach 510 weighs 700 g, not much heavier than a Manfrotto RC2, and better in every way.
There would be no point in stacking an Arca-swiss adapter on top of another QR system and I know of no other good lightweight heads lacking QR.

John

ok, but can a berlebach take a 500mm f4 lens and camera ??

See post #4. The Berlebach 510 weighs 700 g, not much heavier than a Manfrotto RC2, and better in every way.

John

That does indeed seem a very good option. I wonder how best to get one in the USA.

My thought to meet my light weight head desire was to have the QR system of another head machined off, then tapped for a couple bolts to affix a RRS B2-Pro clamp (or similar), not to attach the adapter to the existing QR. But for a more typical (heavy) system, adding the clamp to the unmodified head would not add significant weight (~150 g?), and by removing any rubber and drilling the existing QR for a couple bolts with which to attach the adapter, the connection would be completely solid.

For the past year or two, I've been using a Gitzo GH1720 as my light weight scope head. I like it a lot--it is significantly lighter and more stable than the Manfrotto 700RC2. I'm using the slightly sloppy QR that came with the head, but I may have to look into the Gitzo GS5160CDT adapter that you mention.

--AP

I have tried the Berlebach head after a local shop ordered one in, and while I agree with John on its excellent build quality, solidity and very reasonable weight, we were disappointed in its lack of damping for scanning movements with a scope. For pointing it at a target, locking it up and viewing it was excellent, but the type of birding we tend to do in Finland involves a lot of scanning shorelines or waters as well as scanning the sky and following birds in flight with our scopes. In this kind of use, there needs to be very good viscous damping in the horizontal and vertical movements of the head, and the Berlebach did not perform as we would have liked.

For the Kowa 883, the Manfrotto MVH500AH or the Sirui VH-10 should work very well. The Gitzo 2380 is also excellent, but is heavier and lacks the counterbalance spring that the Manfrotto and Sirui have, and that is a feature I no longer want to be without.

Kimmo

Kimmo,

I was unaware of the introduction of the Sirui VH-10 and VH-15 heads, which would appear to be another couple of nails in the coffins of the established manufacturers.

I have a Sirui L-10 tilt head on my monopod and an M3204 carbon fibre tripod. Their products are very well thought-out, excellently made and very competitively priced.

John

John,

The Sirui VH-10 became available here in early winter this year, so they are very new still. Their one drawback has been the stiffening of the horizontal viscous movement in sub -10 centigrade temperatures. Although my unit still works at -20, with smooth panning, trying to move the head quickly in the horizontal direction is impossible, and one or two buyers have broken theirs, presumably because they tried to force the movement when the fluid had stiffened. The importer has told us that Sirui is changing the viscous fluid they use to rectify this, but I haven't seen any of the "upgraded" units yet. Once they come, I'll try them and if the movement in normal temperatures is still as good as now, I'll swap again. I'll keep you posted on these forums.

In general, the VH-10 is really well thought out, and super stable. One aspect I especially like is the rounded shoulders of the top platform, which give much more space for the focusing hand with collar-type focusers such as Nikon and Swaro scopes have. The quick-release plate is also very well thought-out, with a machined beveling in the head that greatly facilitates pushing the plate into its place. The telescopic handle is also very good and allows much more flexibility in handle orientation than any of the Gitzo or Manfrotto systems I have used.

Kimmo

Sun,

I don't know of ANY video heads that use the Arca-Swiss friction type clamp system. Or at least smaller fluid heads that would normally be used with a spotter.

Which is a shame. The A-S style clamp can hold a mountain.

The Manfrotto 500, 501, 701 plates (as well as the Benro S4 & S6, and the Sirui VH-10) have the wedge shape of A-S plates, but don't develop full friction along the entire length like the A-S.

The connection between spotters and heads has always had the most deleterious affect on the scoped image. I started using a scope about 20 years ago with the ubiquitous Bogen 3130. That plate-clamp system was disappointing from the start. When starting photography a few years later and discovered the A-S clamp I was amazed and disappointed it wasn't used by video head mfrs. One of the best design decisions Swarovski ever made was to shape the ATS foot to mount directly into the 3130/128RC head without the clamp. Not as solid as A-S style, but a vast improvement.

Haven't seen every video head out there so I might stand to be corrected.

I'm looking at purchasing the Swaro ATX/STX 95mm scope sometime down the road and will likely use the Sirui, Manf. 500, or Benros that have been mentioned in recent threads.

Last edited:
Yeah, I checked the RRS, Markins, & Wimberley sites just after my post. Only qualifying head was that $1,695, 4.2lb head from RRS. I'd snap one up in a heartbeat and also buy a spare...but that 10 week wait is just too much!

One option for the OP to consider is getting an A-S type clamp/plate combo from one of the 3 mfrs. mentioned above and attaching it to the Manf. 128. I would have looked into this if the Swaro AT foot had not fit directly into my 3130 head.

...One option for the OP to consider is getting an A-S type clamp/plate combo from one of the 3 mfrs. mentioned above and attaching it to the Manf. 128...

Yes, if the OP likes the operation of that head, this solution would be very easy and work very well. The slot in the 128 would allow very secure double-bolt attachment of the QR clamp without need for modification.

--AP

I just changed from Manfrotto 701 HDV to a Surui VH-10 and I can´t say anything else that im impressed, this is supersmooth and nicely done, Aluminium all the way with the right feeling to it, makes you wonder if all the bigger brands are getting a bit greedy and I don´t mean greedy for quality.

I just changed from Manfrotto 701 HDV to a Surui VH-10 and I can´t say anything else that im impressed, this is supersmooth and nicely done, Aluminium all the way with the right feeling to it, makes you wonder if all the bigger brands are getting a bit greedy and I don´t mean greedy for quality.

Hi Steglit
in a thread of some weeks ago, I asked opinions about the newer Manfrotto MVH500AH with reference to my current (and older) 701 HDV of which I am fond (used with a Nikon Fieldscope ED 82A, only for visual use).
Kimmo Absetz told that the Manfrotto MVH500AH is an excellent choice, but the Sirui VH 10 is even better in terms of rigidity, material and building quality.
Well, as an owner of both heads, do you think it might be worthwile to change the 701 HDV to the Sirui? How did you find the Sirui VH-10 better than the Manfrotto 701 HDV?

Thanks
Luca

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back