• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's this - Costa Rica (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
May be Long-billed Gnatwren but it has a short bill and tail?

What can be seen of wings and tail look finely barred, reminiscent of a Wren.

Taken at Tapanti

A

Attachments

• DSC_6417.jpg
    DSC_6417.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC_6418.jpg
    DSC_6418.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
How about Ochraceous Wren? I think I'm seeing barring on the visible flight feathers in one of the images. Apols if out of range, the CR site names don't mean anything to me these days!

How about Ochraceous Wren? I think I'm seeing barring on the visible flight feathers in one of the images. Apols if out of range, the CR site names don't mean anything to me these days!

Ochraceous is in range Larry but I think it's too grey underneath and the face and throat too plain plus it would be a very long bill for the species?

I noted the barring in my OP and said that it was Wren like, it wasn't seen to cock it's tail at all.

Edit; Looking at Google images and O Wren may not be a bad call.

A

Last edited:
Hi Andy

The pic you recently published on Surfbirds labelled Zone-tailed Hawk actually shows a Crane Hawk

Hi Andy

The pic you recently published on Surfbirds labelled Zone-tailed Hawk actually shows a Crane Hawk

Thanks KGS. very much appreciated, now changed.

I can see why you're right, I was influenced by the apparent spotting on the breast and apparently yellow rather than red legs but I can see I was wrong.

Andy

Last edited:
Thanks KGS. very much appreciated, now changed.

I can see why you're right, I was influenced by the apparent spotting on the breast and apparently yellow rather than red legs but I can see I was wrong.

Andy

You are publishing a truly amazing collection of Costa Rica bird photos!

You are publishing a truly amazing collection of Costa Rica bird photos!

Many thanks, all down to my wife, she's the one with the talent, the patience and the camera!

Please don't hesitate if you find any more errors.

A

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back