• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

NA Warbler on winter holiday (Ecuador) (1 Viewer)

opisska

rabid twitcher
Czech Republic
Ecuador, November.

Sorry for yet another terribly photographed bird. This one I was thinking Blackburnian based on the head pattern, but then the discussion in my other thread happened - https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=386141 - which made me look at the tail and so this looks like too much black at the tip? But surely this doesn't make sense for Cerulean by other features, right? So it's something complete different?

This is every photo of the bird that I have.

Attachments

• 1-06_bMG_5260.JPG
    1-06_bMG_5260.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 1-06_bMG_5261.JPG
    1-06_bMG_5261.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 1-06_bMG_5262.JPG
    1-06_bMG_5262.JPG
    550.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 1-06_bMG_5263.JPG
    1-06_bMG_5263.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 1-06_bMG_5264.JPG
    1-06_bMG_5264.JPG
    239.6 KB · Views: 36
The pale feet in #3 and the undertail pattern have me wondering Blackpoll Warbler after looking quickly at the Dunn & Garrett Warblers guide. Where in Ecuador were you?

Shouldn't there be some yellow visible on a YRW? And isn't the facial pattern too much? I know that there are many forms (now even elevated to species by IOC) in YRW, but still, this looks weird to me. But I may be wrong.

This is taken around the Pacto Sumaco village, for birders it may be easiest to say that it's the area where Wildsumaco is

I think Microtus is correct. Blackpoll always appears short tailed, and certainly the two flight shots #3 and 4 show a very short tail, with white tail spots. Blackpoll seems most likely on these features.

Stu

Great! After this July's not-so successful trip to see some warblers in the US, I am starting to think that Ecuador is a much better destination to see NA warblers :)

I agree with Microtus, the under-tail and side breast streaking on a white base are somewhat reminiscent of Blackpoll Warbler.

Cheers

The pale feet rule out Yellow-rumped Warbler, which has under 10 eBird records from Colombia (indeed, all of mainland South America) and no records from Ecuador. The short tail is another Blackpoll feature, as Stu pointed out.

I would agree with Blackpoll Warbler. And as Microtus said, YR Warbler is a continental level mega for S America, and as yet unrecorded in Ecuador.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back