• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

slc v's bn trinovids (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
anyone compared swarovski 7+42 slc to leica 7,8+42 trinovids?
i had planned on replacing my wonky old porro's for a budget roofprism glass from opticron or similar but next week i'm going to try out some new slc models,if i'm really impressed i might get a pair on credit.i'm particuly interested in how they compare with regard to brightness.
any advice welcomed.

matt

Last edited:
matt green said:
anyone compered swarovski 7+42 slc to leica 7,8+42 trinovids?
i had planned on replacing my wonky old porro's for a budget roofprism glass from opticron or similar but next week i'm going to try out some new slc models,if i'm really impressed i might get a pair on credit.i'm particuly interested in how they compere with regard to brightness.
any advice welcomed.

matt

First, I'm biased, I like Swarovski stuff and own some SLC's. Now to my opinion and it is an opinion, I think you'll find the SLC's more comfortable to hold, the glass is just as good, if not a mite better. In the long run, you're going to have to make up your own mind based on price, warranty and what feels good to your hands and eyes.

Jaeger near Chicago

matt green said:

matt

yes Matt,

neither are as good as 7 x 42 ClassiC dialyts :cool:

seriously both would be great, try second hand maybe? W. Express often have very good deals on Nikon HGs too...

Tim

matt green said:
i had planned on replacing my wonky old porro's for a budget roofprism glass from opticron or similar but next week i'm going to try out some new slc models,if i'm really impressed i might get a pair on credit.i'm particuly interested in how they compare with regard to brightness.
any advice welcomed.

matt
Matt,

The SLC and Trinovid 7X42 models are wonderful bins that should never be compared to an 8X42 format. The increased FOV and enhanced stability of many high quality 7X42's generates a very seductive view many find irresistible. I've never found an 8X42 that evokes the feeling I get when I pick up my 7X42 Ultravid.

The SLC and Trinovid are optically VERY similar, so you'll probably have to focus on price, comfort, or some other personal preference. The FL and Ultravid 7X42's are brighter than either model, but for most of a typical day the difference is meaningless. The latter models also cost considerably more.

I’ve looked at every available 7X42 and the SLC and Trinovid models are both excellent glasses. Take your time and sample as many as possible.

Good luck,

John

hi all, finally checked out those swarovski neu 7+42 and 10+42 slc's this morning.the 10's were pretty good but difficult to hold steady,crossed those of the list.the 7's were much better with that glorious 140 field of view but then i compared them to a pair of leica bn trinovids[8+42],no contest,the leicas were much sharper and had better colour and resolution.both the swarovski focus wheels had stiffness in one direction which also put me off.
the swarovski's are still a fine pair of bins but for me the leicas had the best alround feel and image.

matt

Matt,

A German shooting magazine recently did some daylight and twilight transmission tests on nearly 30 pairs of binoculars. Here are some examples of daylight transmission, which cannot necessarily be extrapolated to other models in the range:-

Leica Trinovid 10x42 82,4%
Leica Ultravid 10x42 87,6%
Meopta Meostar 8x42 86,8%
Swarovski SLC 8x56 88,2%
Swarovski EL 8,5X42 86,9%
Zeiss BT* 10x40 90,9% (this was the Conquest!)
Zeiss T*FL 8x42 93,3%

I own the 7x42 SLCs, with which I am very satisfied, and am a little surprised that you preferred the Trinovids, as I have not been overly impressed with some of the Leicas I have seen. I have noted poor flatness of field but perhaps that's just the sensitivity of my old eyes and virtually zero accommodation!

BTW, I strongly recommend that you try to get a look at some Meopta Meostars. My trouble and strife recently expressed a wish for some better bins for Christmas and I bought her some 7x42 Meostars. Optically and mechanically they are fully on a par with my SLCs, focus to 3m (instead of 4m) and are 2/3 of the price. Despite the latter, Meopta are obviously intent on competing with the very best.

John

John Traynor said:
Matt,

The SLC and Trinovid 7X42 models are wonderful bins that should never be compared to an 8X42 format. The increased FOV and enhanced stability of many high quality 7X42's generates a very seductive view many find irresistible. I've never found an 8X42 that evokes the feeling I get when I pick up my 7X42 Ultravid.

John and I totally agree regarding the 7x42. One reason the qaulity of the 7x image over 8x is because it has one less glass element to diminish light transmission.

As to the SLC vs BN, I've had both. I prefer the BN. However, the Ultravid 7x42 is a whole other level of performance and I believe it's the finest binocular made. Were I in the market for a 7x42 I'd gather the extra Sheckels and get the Ultravid.

Brad_A said:
John and I totally agree regarding the 7x42. One reason the quality of the 7x image over 8x is because it has one less glass element to diminish light transmission.

Is it a GENERAL truth that 7x can be done with one less glass element than 8x or 10x? If so what is the reason for this?

Does that hold for compacts as well?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back