• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

brief reviews of 4 binoculars purchased New (1 Viewer)

ksbird/foxranch

I wanted to post these reviews to the "equipment review" section of this website (www.birdforum.net) but I couldn't find a button marked "Write a new review" so I couldn't figure out how to list these comments in the equipment review section.

I recently received a pair of Steiner Merlin 8x32 binoculars. I found the field of view was too small, the eye lenses didn't allow for use with eyeglasses and the views were not very bright compared to comparable binoculars. The view seemed to be very sharp and the contrast was good. But they didn't rank as one of the better binoculars I've seen recently and at the price (US$440), they were no bargain. The rubber armoring was nice and the weight and feel were excellent. But they just didn't give me the views I wanted.

I contacted the retailer and asked if I could exchange the Merlins for other binoculars. When they agreed and made a note of my name etc. I went to visit them with the binoculars, box, papers etc. One of the most important considerations I have when buying binoculars is that my interpupillary distance is 78.2mm, so binoculars must open completely to accomodate my eyes without blank spots. The Merlins were able to do this, and the eyecups were excellent, but any binocular I buy has to pass this test.

My timing was lucky. When I visited the binocular counter with the Merlins I noticed that Steiner 8x30 porro prism binoculars were at half price (Normally $399 for 8 out of their 9, 8x30 models, but on that day only US$189/199, and I believe the clearance of those models is still ongoing). The Steiner 8x30 porro prism binoculars come in a huge variety of types with names like Navigator/Hunting/Military/NightView/Safari/Tactical etc. The difference in all these models is the coatings. Depending on the uses, the anti-reflection coatings are various colors and thus reject various narrow color bands or UV or IR. These binoculars are all rubber coated, nitrogen purged, water/fogproof, and most have integrally attached objective covers.

I got a pair of the Steiner 8x30s labelled Hunting because they were designed to reject a narrow green color band so that brown birds could be seen well up against a green background. Our ranch is in a forested area of Kansas and so this is very helpful, especially when watching nesting birds. There are few if any green birds in our area. The basic design of all the Steiner 8x30s is similar. The eye lenses are very large and are easy to use with eyeglasses for a full view. The field of view is large. The ergonomics of the design allows for easy holding. The weight is not too heavy to cause fatigue, but heavy enough to help with steadiness. Color contrast and sharpness are excellent, edge-to-edge. Interpupillary distance just barely fit me wide open, but that's good enough. Steiner binoculars are made in Germany.

With the extra trade-in credit I also purchased a pair of old model but new-in-box Nikon Naturalist 7x35 binoculars. This is a non-waterproof, porro, multicoated "old-style" body design with a fairly wide field of view (8.6 degrees). The sharpness edge-to-edge was excellent. These binoculars were a bit heavier than the Steiner 8x30s but not much. The flare resistance, almost looking into the sun was excellent (this is a key factor for me when buying a widefield binocular). While the color contrast was not the best I've ever seen, it was very good considering the US$90 cost and the 25 year USA warranty is very good. The eye lenses would not accomodate eyeglass users, but the interpupillary distance was just sufficient for me. These Nikon binoculars were made in Taiwan.

Finally I used the balance of my trade in credit to buy a pair of Burris 8x32 Fullfield binoculars. These non-waterproof roof prism binoculars have a much wider field of view than the Merlins. The brightness and sharpness of these binoculars is also impressive. These binoculars claim to be made in the USA, so I was very surprised that they sold for less than US$200. They were a bit lightweight for my taste but someone smaller than 6ft4 (193cm) and 198 lbs (90kgms) might find them "just right". The rubber coating on the body seems a bit slick too, but that isn't a huge factor since the shape is easy to grip. The color contrast good if not great, and overall this binocular seemed like a very good value. The eye lenses were large enough to allow eyeglass wearers to see the full field.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experiences. You don't really hear much on the net about Steiners for birding. It is nice to hear something new.

However, I am left feeling a bit apprehensive about those coatings you mentioned. Most folks tend to prefer a relatively neutral color representations. How much is color actually affected by the coatings on those bins?

about the Steiner coatings

When I checked the Merlin binoculars I returned, the view seemed quite neutral although perhaps it was creating the best contrast for "browns". I think this is why the view seemed less bright than other binoculars I use as a standard (the Swarovski 8x42). I have Zeiss binoculars that have different color coatings on each lens surface. This tends to give a view that is "color neutral" (to me).

The only Steiner 8x30 porro binocular that had this same "Zeiss color neutral" view (to me) was an 8x30 model with UV block coatings (reducing UV tends to improve sharpness, because it reduces visible "haze"). The Hunting model I chose, with green coatings, is definitely able to produce excellent brown contrast while reducing the green light in the view, so leaves looked a big less briight than those same leaves looked through the more "neutral" coated 8x30s. But this tends to make brown birds "jump" out of a green background, and that is good for my location.

The Steiner "firebird" 8x30 model, with red lens coatings (which I'm assuming are designed to reduce red light and IR like you get at sunset), produced a ghastly image with a slight blue tint. Of course I was checking this bin out at midday. If I used it at dawn or dusk, I might have liked the view allot (who knows?).

The Steiner 8x30 intended for boating seemed to have a dark blue coating (which may have rejected some of the blues). Another model of the 8x30 (I can't remember the model name), had a magenta coating and may have been best used where you wanted to see greens and yellows best. The Steiner website seems to describe perhaps 5 or 6 of the different models of 8x30 porro prism bins that they make. For each model there is an explanation of why the coatings are what they are.

The Steiner 8x30 porro prism model I have is not as sharp as the Zeiss or Swarovski 10x50s or the Leitz or Invertron 7x50 bins I use. But they are as sharp as any of my Nikon, Kahles, Minolta or other quality brand bins I use. Still the 8x30s give a very wide field view (at least 50% wider than the 8x32 Merlin) and this may be why the 8x30 seems a notch less sharp than the "big dogs" that have the bigger objective lenses (although I really had to check closely to see this difference).

The Steiner 7x50 Marine bins I use are superb and they seem as sharp as any bins I use. The 7x50 Steiner Marines have indiv eyepiece focus and the color contrast may be a touch less perfect than the Zeiss and Leitz models, but the Steiners have a field that is almost 10 degrees wide and they are nearly "compact" being less than 6 inches front to back. As well the Steiner 7x50 Marine is brighter than any of the Leica or Zeiss roof prisms I've seen in the past few years.

I've seen Steiner 15x80 bins that were every bit as good as the 15x Zeiss bins sitting right next to them at a fair, so I think Steiner can make a bin as well as the best, but maybe they just put less "effort" into some of their less expensive models. Even so, I've never seen an "average" quality Steiner bin, going back 16 years to the Steiner 8x25 Champ reverse porro mini-binoculars I still use today. The Champ couldn't be used with eyeglasses, and it was blue mag dioxide single coatings through and through. But it is wide enough for my wide interpupillary distance and surprisingly sharp even compared to high end minis today.

FrankD said:
Thanks for sharing your experiences. You don't really hear much on the net about Steiners for birding. It is nice to hear something new.

However, I am left feeling a bit apprehensive about those coatings you mentioned. Most folks tend to prefer a relatively neutral color representations. How much is color actually affected by the coatings on those bins?

I don't think these kinds of manipulations of color transmission are ever desirable in a birding binocular. Some might be useful for eye protection in snow/sand or target acquisition for hunters in special circumstances, but they will always lead to decreased color accuracy and lower overall light transmission. A coating that rejects green wavelengths can't really even be counted on to increase contrast between "brown" objects and a green field unless the brown (yellow,red) objects are as bright or brighter than the green background. If the brown objects are darker than the green background then reducing green transmission will actually decrease contrast. A more serious penalty from coatings rejecting green wavelengths would be reduced low light performance since the eye is most sensitive to blue/green in low light. In fact, the combination of coatings and glass in binoculars is already pretty non-linear in regard to color transmission without making it worse on purpose. Typically, in most binoculars there is a peak in transmission somewhere between 550(yellow/green) and 650nm (red) and a drop off in transmission at wavelengths below 500nm (green) which may reach 20-30% or more at 420nm (violet) .

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back