• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus E-520 review on dpreview (1 Viewer)

NoSpringChicken

United Kingdom
There is now a review of the Olympus E-520 on the dpreview site:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusE520/

They award it a 'Highly Recommended (just)' and make the usual criticisms of the small viewfinder, limited dynamic range and poor high ISO performance. I think Olympus will have to address the shortcomings of the four-thirds sensor in the next series of models before they get completely obliterated by the competition.

Ron

Yeah, Ron, but I think that the smaller sensor is one of its biggest benefits. The review doesn't even discuss the very reasons I am going to buy the E-520 - the smaller lenses and higher "crop-factor" magnification you get with them. Have you seen the size and price (esp with stabilization) of a 600mm equivalent lens for the other manufacturers' DSLRs? This is a BIG advantage of the Olympus sensor and I, for one, am willing to trade the somewhat better high-ISO noise performance and dynamic range for a smaller and less expensive setup.

Some reviewers have been putting down Olympus since I bought my first one in 1966 (which is still working). 20 odd bought since then and they are still viewed with suspicion.

True they are different - they do some things better than other makes and some not as well. At the end of the day I know how to use them and have produced a lot of photos that have pleased many others.

Putting it bluntly - if they stop producing a useable camera I will switch - as I did during the film auto-focus era (still keeping the film OMs as they are still the best) but at the moment I have no problems with the slrs and if they produced a replica Canon or Nikon who would buy it?

As with bins - use what works for you and wait with the rest of us to see what the just announced 'mini' 4/3 system will bring us.

N.B. I do buy and use other makes but they all generally drop into disuse in case you think this is blind faith. My favourite compact is a Canon IXUS 80.

I think that one could easily argue that Olympus is on the right track when they try to differentiate themselves from Nikon/Canon with products that can capture certain niche markets. Manufacturers like Pentax might have a harder row to hoe, going head-to-head with the big boys.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back