• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where to spend a week in Southern Chile (1 Viewer)

swiss7

Hey guys,
As part of a trip next year, I am possibly planning a foray into Southern Chile from Santiago, using a LAN Airpass (cheap flights!). Anyways, I was wondering what the best destinations would be (ie: flying to Punta Arenas or Puerto Montt) and spots to visit. I am planning a week or more around Santiago (visiting La Campana, etc..) and several days in northern Chile (Arica, Lauca NP, possibly Los Flamencos?) before heading into Peru.

Also, would we be better off flying Santiago to Arica or would it be worth catching buses up and stopping in places to do some birding? All up I would like to spend 3 weeks in the country.

Thanks heaps,
Damien

Actually as an additional note, we would probably not be renting a car at anytime, or if so for minimal time as we are on a tight budget. Is it possible to get around Southern Chile and see the birds without a car? For example we would be especially keen to get both steamer ducks, and hopefully Darwin's Rhea.
Damien

Hi,

Lauca NP is not so simple, because the most villages locate over 4500 m.
You need almost 1 week for aclimatisation, if You want stay over night in this altitude.

Best regards
Dieter

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back