• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New open viewer for my E3 (1 Viewer)

Derry

I shoot a lot of the grand kids sports in dim lit gyms and trying to follow the action through the lens all the time gets to be a pain,, I had seen a small red dot viewer a year past that mounts in the flash hot shoe allowing easy following of the action,, endless searching on the web has not found one though,,

so I decided to make my own this past week with some items in my shop,, just shot the granddaughters volleyball game and it works great,, very easy to follow the game with both eyes while following the ball (action) with the sight eye viewing through the pointer,,

I used my Oly 35-100 f2 and would peek through the view finder occasionally when changing mm length just to be sure I was aligning on the center focus point of the camera,, I use S-AF with a constant half press of the release to keep the lens focused on the main subject while moving,,

another guy shooting a Canon came over and asked me what I was using and and after telling him he ask where he could buy one,,

Derry

Attachments

• DSCN1344 (800 x 679).jpg
    DSCN1344 (800 x 679).jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 83
  • DSCN1343 (800 x 600).jpg
    DSCN1343 (800 x 600).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN1345_edited-1 (800 x 600).jpg
    DSCN1345_edited-1 (800 x 600).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 85
That looks like a nice idea. Can you be more specific about how you made it - e.g. what did you use for the circular tube, how does it attach to the hot shoe, etc.?

Rah, I build RC model planes and boats, the scrap is just material I had in the shop,,

used a thin plywood for the hot shoe base and then a piece of pine on top of that for the plastic tube(s) base,, drilled a hole from the bottom to insert a heavy wire that can be bent if required for the sight guide,, super glued it all together,,

the one plastic tube is from a sink drain kit,, no idea where I obtain the outer plastic clip holder, just laying around the shop,,

very easy to insert and remove,,

hopefully the photos below can show the construction, sure nothing special but it works great for me,,

Derry

Attachments

• DSCN1358 (800 x 851).jpg
    DSCN1358 (800 x 851).jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN1353 (800 x 696).jpg
    DSCN1353 (800 x 696).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN1352 (800 x 560).jpg
    DSCN1352 (800 x 560).jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCN1354 (800 x 834).jpg
    DSCN1354 (800 x 834).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 66
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back