• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sigma 150-500mm OS Lens (1 Viewer)

I've been reading this with interest. The results posted don't seem much sharper than what I've seen from the old 135-400 and 170-500.
As Stu says, I am yet to be convinced that this lens is as good as some make out. It does seem to have limitations, and the 100-400 is a sharper lens.
Fair enough, its pretty cheap, has a nice zoom range and stabilisation, but consider that you could get a 2ndhand 400 f/5.6 for a little more; now that is a sharp lens. Yep, you lose 100mm, but it makes up for it in sharpness.

But it doesn't zoom!

I'd have missed some belting shots today had I not been able to zoom out. It's only worth using a prime if you're totally committed to that focal length. I'd love to have a prime super tele lens - and maybe one day I will once my kids have left home or something - but for now a zoom meets my (and many other people's) needs perfectly.

The lens itself may not zoom - doesn't stop you moving though. I used to have a super tele zoom, and not in a year of shooting with it did I feel the need to zoom out. What's more I have never wanted to zoom out with the 400!
I would have recommended the 100-400, but that's more expensive still.

Yeah, I had read that Roy - very interesting. I wonder if it applies to the 150-500?

Either way, like Stu, I wasn't trying to say anyone was wrong by buying the sigma, just that it isn't the only/sharpest option for £~700.

I still maintain that for a true budget lens (around the £200 mark), the sigma 135-400 is excellent.

Last edited:
Hi everyone took my 150-500mm lens back to the shop, Jacobs.The staff was very helpfull and they swaped it for another one and the results are that my photos are pin sharp.So there must have been something wrong with the lens internaly.Tryed it out at the weekend,just have to put them on my p.c.

Am planning to take back my Sigma to the shop tomorrow morning - hopefully will be able to get a copy that doesn't backfocus... or at least one that doesn't do it much. The one I have I've hit the endstop on my D300's AF fine tuning trying to correct it!

Have managed some pretty reasonable results with it even with the backfocus problem, but distant focus is pretty bad, probably due to the fine tuning (or not being correct or a lens issue... ). Distant objects are also showing some blooming too - I know this lens can show this on out of focus elements but it's heavy enough to blur details.

Had another go with the 150-500 today set at 400mm. Light not too good, usual low cloud, but no wind.

All shots at ISO 400, -0.33EV and 403mm, all taken as Jpgs as it's much quicker to process. Lens on tripod OS turned off.

I think they turned out well, reasonably sharp and plenty of fine detail.

Chaffinch - 1/250th @ f8
Great Tit - 1/200th @ f8
Dunnock - 1/200th @ f8

Attachments

• chaffinch-2717.jpg
    chaffinch-2717.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 151
  • great-tit-2698.jpg
    great-tit-2698.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 143
  • dunnock-2701a.jpg
    dunnock-2701a.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 164
Those are great John - if I can get results that good from this lens I'll be very happy.

The lens went back this morning and I have a replacement now. Tried it in the park and what a big difference! Pretty much no blooming, distant focus is fine, very close focus may be a tiny bit out, but not much - I need to do some tests on that. If it is out it won't be much, a very small adjustment to af fine tune I think. A lot of practice needed to get the most from it but am getting reasonable results now handheld at 500mm so it bodes well. Might need to visit the gym to build up my muscles though! ;)

Last edited:
I'm finding that using a tripod with OS off gives very good results, I do use a wired remote release though, helps a lot with slow shutter speeds.

Glad you're up and running again, Look forward to seeing your results soon.

The sun has finally returned to dark and dingy Sweden and my results with the camera have improved dramatically as a result. Have taken to getting out birding with just my bins and the the camera, a Nikon D90 with the Sigma 150-500 OS attached, as my scope is away for repair.
All of these images taken over two bright days, all handheld, all at 500mm. Have found the improving light lets me up the shutter speed which greatly improved results, Mallard and Coot were at 1/500, whilst the rest were all at 1/1250, ISO 400 across the board for them all. Have moved to manual dial on the camera, often taking a read off auto dial as a guide, starting to get a feel for it at this stage...
Finding this lens to be a joy to use, do not find it soft at all in reasonable light and am looking forward to the spring migration hugely. Can imagine prime lenses are mind blowing, but then so is the price and I figure for well less than a grand I don't mind working a bit harder to get results. Certainly these results are encouraging me and I reckon some really good results will come in time to this lens...

A question, I have been shooting in JPEG, have never used RAW, so should I start shooting with RAW now? I have a large external hard drive, so space is not an issue any more. Just how much better is RAW, is it worth making the change sooner rather than later and might I regret it if I continue to shoot in JPEG and I do manage to get some cracking shots over the spring?

Attachments

• Mallard 1.jpg
    Mallard 1.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 89
  • Woodpigeon.jpg
    Woodpigeon.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 106
  • Coot.jpg
    Coot.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 103
  • Common Gull 2.jpg
    Common Gull 2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Nuthatch.jpg
    Nuthatch.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Thanks John. Was using a tripod today at the park to photograph the goosanders and was trying out my Kenko 1.4x teleconverter with the Sigma as they were a long way off. It worked pretty well I think, check out the attached shot and this one in the gallery.

Nice shots buzzard - good results you're getting there. :t:

Attachments

• goosander.jpg
    goosander.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 159
Last edited:
This is my first input in the birdforum so if I make a mistake in uploading shots etc please bear with me.
I am relatively new to photography and am just beginning to get to grips with it. I have recently purchased this lens and am using it on a nikon D80. I have used no other lens but the kit lens the camera came with so cannot compare to any other. However, so far I am over the moon with this lens and have taken some shots that I am very happy with.
I could not justify paying loads of money on a prime lens or a nikon lens as this is just a hobby for me.
The lens does need good light to get a decent shot and I have had many rubbish shots which I mainly put down to my inexperience, but the reach that it gives me makes photography much more enjoyable.
Anyway, enough waffling.
Both of these (my best shots) were taken using aperture priority, f8, 1/160s, iso500.
The bullfinch was at 250mm, but the nuthatch was taken wide open at 500mm.
(Any input as to the images good or bad, or if you think the settings could be tweaked, please feel free to comment, but make it easy for me to understand as camera jargon is double dutch at the moment).
BTW when set on aperure priority and at f8 can you change the iso and shutter speed yourself or does the camera automatically do it?
If you can then how?
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 56aa.jpg
    56aa.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 165
  • 71aa.jpg
    71aa.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 192
Thanks John. Was using a tripod today at the park to photograph the goosanders and was trying out my Kenko 1.4x teleconverter with the Sigma as they were a long way off. It worked pretty well I think, check out the attached shot and this one in the gallery.

Certainly can't complain about those two shots Fozzy, at 700mm I think they're great.

I've been having a play with the cameras microadjustment setting on mine, it does seem to make a difference, perhaps Sigma aren't quite so hot with their quality control as they should be!!

Here's a Robin at 500mm and a 100% crop from it.
1/50th @f8, ISO 400, +0.33EV, OS on, 500mm.

Attachments

• robin100%crop-1718.jpg
    robin100%crop-1718.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 146
  • robin-1718.jpg
    robin-1718.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Those shots are superb bisonsbits - you're getting some great results there!

Thanks a lot John - yes, not bad at all considering the TC. I'd expected worse results using one on a zoom like this, they came out very well really. Great detail on your robin shot, very clear filaments on the feathers! I will be doing the same with my lens soon - just need to find the time to do it!

I think you're pulling our leg about being new to photography Bisonsbits, that's two great photos you've got there.

If you're set on AV and a certain aperture changing the ISO will automatically change the shutter speed, the shutter speed will be higher if you increase ISO and vice-versa.

Keep posting your pics and if you have questions about photography etc post them as well.

Hi Alan,
Glad to hear you're enjoying 'easy' photography after digiscoping, keeps you saner don't it mate ;)

If you feel happy with what you're taking it's probably time to start using RAW, it does give improved quality over Jpg but it's no magic formula, you still need a good 'negative' to start with.

Go for it Alan, the part of the world you're in there's always the chance of a Mega and how would you feel if you got a shot of one in Jpg only. Best option at the moment is to go out and shoot RAW/Jpg on a few easy subjects and see what you think of the difference.

All the best

John

Sorry for the late reply.....
Fozzybear, thankyou for your kind comments.
john-henry, thankyou for the information and kind comments....I assure you, that I got my first dslr in mid 2007 (Nikon D80 & 18-135mm kit lens) and have been using this set up until I purchased the Sigma lens just before christmas.
Before this, I have only used point & shoot cameras on holidays etc.
I have always loved wildlife and always wanted to do this type of photography, but have never been able to afford it until recently and even now find it expensive (hence the reason for buying the sigma lens over other "better" lenses). That is why I stated on my last post, that I could not compare this lens to any other, but what a beginner thought of it.

Well you're off to a great start Bisonsbits, try various settings and zoom lengths to get an idea of what they do and don't be afraid to ask questions, either on this thread or other ones in this forum, there's a lot of good photographers on the forum and a lot of readily available advice if you look for it.

But most of all keep shooting away and enjoying it.

Don't know if anyone else has tried this yet but I find it adds extra stability when hand-holding, shorten the strap that came with the lens so when the camera's against your face it's drawn tight against your shoulder, bit like a rifle sling, certainly makes a difference for me.

Here's a few shots from the local park today.

Little Grebe - 1/320th @ f8, ISO 400, -0.33EV, 500mm
Jay - 1/400th @ f8, ISO 400, -0.33EV, 500mm
Blue Tit - 1/800th @f8, ISO 400, -0.33Ev, 370mm

Attachments

• little-grebe-3063.jpg
    little-grebe-3063.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 191
  • jay-3049.jpg
    jay-3049.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 229
  • blue-tit-3025.jpg
    blue-tit-3025.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 209
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back