• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Easter Island (1 Viewer)

Allen S. Moore

Isle of Man
I have read that the avifauna of Easter Island is very impoverished, but I am thinking about going there to see the statues next year. Has anyone from the forum been there, and what birds did you see?

Allen

Last edited:
Easter Island bird list

you could well say the avifauna is very impoverished - the native land birds are entirely extinct! (Only a few species are known from pre-European remains in caves and lava tubes). Most of the breeding seabirds were also wiped out. I haven't been there myself, but there are still a few seabirds around and a few introduced land-birds

Here is the Easter Island checklist http://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/checklist.jsp?region=clei&list=clements

Many thanks. It is an interesting, albeit very short, list. I was wondering if any waders ever made it to Easter Island!

Allen

as I understand it, most of the Easter Island shoreline is cliffs. There aren't many beaches for waders to, um, wade. There are no longer any streams on the island since the forest cover was entirely destroyed, but there is a swamp at the top of the island (not sure if its continuously wet or not though).

as I understand it, most of the Easter Island shoreline is cliffs. There aren't many beaches for waders to, um, wade. There are no longer any streams on the island since the forest cover was entirely destroyed, but there is a swamp at the top of the island (not sure if its continuously wet or not though).

Aye, I have a DVD with some films by David Attenborough which includes "The Lost Gods of Easter Island." It includes a scene on the island in which David Attenborough stands on a sandy beach describing Captain Cook's visit. The cliffs look quite spectacular, too.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back