• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Big Raptor (1 Viewer)

AlecC

On Sunday I had come along the M4 then up the M25 when I saw to my left a "buzzard", as I got closer I then thought that's a big buzzard, then it banked to the right, showing a white tail and dropped down into some trees. I was hoping by now to have read a report about a white tailed eagle to confirm what I finally thought it was. Looking at a map it was around Elk Meadows at about eleven o'clock. Is there an eagle being flown from these grounds or was it the juv white tailed eagle that's been seen around the UK ?

Are you sure it was not a Red kite? They have a white underside to the tail and are quite common around that side of the M25.

Though not that much bigger than a buzzard, they do tend to look larger as they tend to fly lower.

On Sunday I had come along the M4 then up the M25 when I saw to my left a "buzzard", as I got closer I then thought that's a big buzzard, then it banked to the right, showing a white tail and dropped down into some trees. I was hoping by now to have read a report about a white tailed eagle to confirm what I finally thought it was. Looking at a map it was around Elk Meadows at about eleven o'clock. Is there an eagle being flown from these grounds or was it the juv white tailed eagle that's been seen around the UK ?

Don't think a juv WTE would have a white tail.

I have carried out forestry works on this Estate within the last year & AFAIK there is no large bird of prey flown from within.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back