• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New USA Distributor for Optolyth/Alpin Bins and Scopes (1 Viewer)

ceasar

I just received my Fall/2005 copy of the "Deutsche Optik" catalog. www.deutscheoptik.com

They announce that they are, once again, distributor for Optolyth Sporting Optics of Germany. They also state that they are taking on the O&R of Optolyth's products in the Western Hemisphere because it is too complex to send warranty and repair work back to Germany. This deal was made with the new owner, Berndt Zinngrebe, who also owns Sill Optics.

They announce the reintroduction of the "OLD" Alpin Porro Prism Bins and are listing 6 models for sale: 8x30, 8x40, 10x40, 7.5x42, 10x50, and 12x50. Prices listed are $489.00 through $589.00. They blurb that they are the best birding glasses made. They also list 4 large (63mm) roof prisms, an 8x56 "Vianova" roof prism and a field scope and an APO 100mm spotting scope all under Optolyth's name.

Additionally, they are selling Minox's 4 aspheric Roof Prism bins for much less than the "Big 3's" equivalent models.

All these bins aren't too well known here in the USA. Anybody have any comments or opinions, pro or con?

ceasar said:
I just received my Fall/2005 copy of the "Deutsche Optik" catalog. www.deutscheoptik.com

They announce that they are, once again, distributor for Optolyth Sporting Optics of Germany. They also state that they are taking on the O&R of Optolyth's products in the Western Hemisphere because it is too complex to send warranty and repair work back to Germany. This deal was made with the new owner, Berndt Zinngrebe, who also owns Sill Optics.

They announce the reintroduction of the "OLD" Alpin Porro Prism Bins and are listing 6 models for sale: 8x30, 8x40, 10x40, 7.5x42, 10x50, and 12x50. Prices listed are $489.00 through $589.00. They blurb that they are the best birding glasses made. They also list 4 large (63mm) roof prisms, an 8x56 "Vianova" roof prism and a field scope and an APO 100mm spotting scope all under Optolyth's name.

Additionally, they are selling Minox's 4 aspheric Roof Prism bins for much less than the "Big 3's" equivalent models.

All these bins aren't too well known here in the USA. Anybody have any comments or opinions, pro or con?

Hi Ceasar,I just checked and Bear Basin Outfitters use to stock the Optolyth Alpin series and spotting scopes and now there is only the Optolyth spotting scopes listed.I had a Optolyth Alpin 7x50 I bought off the big site and the archery site that had it listed and sold some on this site was forced off.I don't know if this was a good example of these binoculars but I didn't like it.I thought the image was soft.The 7x50 was nice and light.I traded this binocular for Nikon 10x35E and liked it better,sold the E and bought Nikon 10x42SE and like it a lot better.
Regards Steve

Hi Steve,
I get the D.O. catalog regularly. It's interesting, like looking around a high end army/navy store. Lots of used European Army optics, watches and other old military items. This is the first time they have carried new quality(?) bins with the ability to service and repair them. They have used and very interesting 8x30 Leica IF Swiss Army bins with reticles that are tempting but $499.00 is too steep. The Optolyth Roof Prisms are real big bins.
The Alpin 7.5x42's which weigh a little over a pound are interesting too. They cost $529.00 (New)

As for me, I'm happy with my Nikon 8x30E2's and 10x35E2's.
Bob

PS Here's 2 more goody's if you can live with Individual Focusing. Minox BD 9.5 x 42 and 6.5 x 32 IF ASPHERIC armored Roof Prisms at 449.00 and 429.00 Argon gas filled with roll down eyecups. They really look good in the picture. Page 23 catalog.

Last edited:
[The best news about Deutsche once again carrying Optolyth is that the sweet 25x70 scope is available. I have owned over a dozen Leica and Swarovski instruments (among others) and the little Optolyth is the scope I keep taking with me. It goes down to 7.5 inches high and weighs only 40 oz. As long as you don't use it in a hard rain it is robust. I think the eyepiece is among the best in the scope world and the field of view on this thing stuns.

Optolyth 22x70

Just moved this thread to the Spotting Scope & Tripods/heads section.
Thought it might be more appropriate. My apologies for the double post..

Hi all,
New member reviving an old thread.
This is one of the few threads I've found online regarding my newly acquired scope.

Just purchased this Optolyth 22x70 spotting scope from someone that inherited it.
Plan on viewing wildlife, mostly eagles and various other birds near Steamboat Springs, CO.
Also for viewing targets in the 25 to 100 yard range.

The view through the scope seems to me to be fantastic.
My concern is the condition of the coating on the front lens.
Not really sure but I'm guessing it's been partially removed by improper cleaning methods.
Looking through the scope, I don't notice any spots or impaired view.

Should I worry about this?
Can it be properly repaired/re-coated?
If so, considering the age of the scope (made when there was an East and West Germany), would a repair be cost prohibitive?

Regards, Ken

Attachments

• Optolyth (1)a.jpg
    Optolyth (1)a.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Optolyth (2)a.jpg
    Optolyth (2)a.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 95
  • Optolyth (3)a.jpg
    Optolyth (3)a.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
Hi Ken,
The circular marks indicate cleaning, which seems to have removed the multicoating.
I wouldn't bother, although one can get optics coated.
It would mean taking out the objective and stripping the old coat I think and maybe single or double coating.
Maybe astro suppliers can give you a coating facility.

I would also look for fungus marks internally.

If the view is good, I would leave things alone.

I don't think Optolyth make binoculars any more, just imports.
Not sure about scopes.

Coating would need an expert in removing the old coating, without damaging the surface accuracy. I suppose $100 plus?
I got two 120mm objectives single blue coated for £25 each about 1980. AT MY OWN RISK as heat can break optics, although 70mm is less of a problem. I had a third 120mm objective that I didn't get coated as insurance in case the others broke. The coating was completely successful and the resulting custom telescopes are very good.
I don't know if the Optolyth objective is cemented or air spaced.

P.S.
You could ask Optolyth if they would sell you a spare objective.
But this may cost more than the scope is worth.
If the front surface coating is the only damage then the scope should perform well if the scratches are not too numerous or deep.

The photo is a good reminder of what not to do. I.e. don't clean optics for no reason and don't use rough materials and don't rub hard.
It amazes me what owners do to perfectly good optics.
I have seen worse than this.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back