• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Bear Attack! (1 Viewer)

steveo

King Midas in reverse
United States
For the second time this year a very large Black Bear destroyed my feeders. Does a feeder set up exist that is bear proof . For examlple a steel pole sunk in concrete with the feeders at ten feet. Basically i'm screwed right. All suggestions welcome. Thanks

Hi,

Sorry to about your bear problems. I live in New Hampshire and have had bears destroy my feeding station TWICE!

The only way I have found to stop them is to bring my feeders in at night.

I look forward to December when they go to sleep.

John

Your best bet is, as John stated, to bring your feeders in at night. I know it is a very big drag but it is the safest way to deal with the bears.

In Pennsylvania we have LOTS of Black Bears. When they become a nuisance, which happens often here in the Pocono's (because new home owners and summer visitors think they are cute and feed them); we call the Game Commission. They come, live trap them, tranquilize them, tag them and haul them off to some very rural place; usually in N.Central Pa. a hundred miles or more away. If they come back they are in trouble! 2 years ago a 400 pound male decided to hibernate under the front porch of a home in a village about 10 miles from Stroudsburg, Pa. A couple of kids about 6 years old or so who lived in the house discovered it's presence. Fortunately, no one (including the bear) got hurt.

Bob

Last edited:
I have had bear problems myself.

Always bring feeders in at night. And if you have a returning bear during the day, take in the feeders for a couple weeks. If you feel bad enough for the birds, maybe throw some loose stuff on the ground. But just a little at a time so there won't be any leftovers for the bear to pick through.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back