• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Unusual Rat behaviour? (1 Viewer)

ChrisKten

It's true, I quite like Pigeons
... or maybe just the first time that I've seen it.

I posted about this Rat the other day, and by now I should have got rid of it, but I'm curious about what it's doing. For now, I'm just watching it.

It never leaves the tree, in fact never goes below about 12 feet - I've never seen it eat anything - it only appears for a few minutes each morning and just seems to be sniffing for scent markings (that's a guess). All feeders are brought in before dark, and thanks to the Pigeons, there's no food on the ground.

So, unusual behaviour, or normal perhaps territorial behaviour?

I've attached a few grab shots that I took through the window this morning, just resized for upload... just to show that it really is in the trees. Rat is more light-brown that it appears in the pics

Thanks

Oh, related to my previous thread... the Squirrels haven't tried to kill it, but they do chase it out of the trees - actually, more like it runs off and hides when the Squirrels get within a few yards.

Attachments

• DSC07150Rpf900.JPG
    DSC07150Rpf900.JPG
    297.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DSC07159Rpf900.JPG
    DSC07159Rpf900.JPG
    286.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC07175Rpf900.JPG
    DSC07175Rpf900.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC07190Rpf900.JPG
    DSC07190Rpf900.JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 103
I looked at your shots and wondered about the bulge at the tail base. When I googled pregnant Brown Rat I got one or two pictures that showed something similar... I think you need to chop the little beggar sharpish.

John

I looked at your shots and wondered about the bulge at the tail base. When I googled pregnant Brown Rat I got one or two pictures that showed something similar... I think you need to chop the little beggar sharpish.

John

Thanks for replying, John

I wondered about that bulge too, but I found quite a lot of mentions online of the bulge at the base of the tail, but none that associated it with pregnancy, although many seemed to have been told it was a tumour... doesn't mean that it's not a pregnant female though.

I'm pretty sure that it's nesting elsewhere, but I can't figure out what it's doing in my trees... seems to have no interest in the food.

Anyway, I know what I have to do... succeeding is another matter.

Thanks for replying, John

I wondered about that bulge too, but I found quite a lot of mentions online of the bulge at the base of the tail, but none that associated it with pregnancy, although many seemed to have been told it was a tumour... doesn't mean that it's not a pregnant female though.

I'm pretty sure that it's nesting elsewhere, but I can't figure out what it's doing in my trees... seems to have no interest in the food.

Anyway, I know what I have to do... succeeding is another matter.

I'm sorry.... from watching wildlife to setting kill traps to having to finish off a trapped but conscious rat by hitting it desperately and inaccurately with a length of 2" X 2" while roaring "die you ******!" was a set of lines I never saw myself crossing, but an en masse rat invasion changes your perspective hugely. If it must be done then 'twere well it were done quickly.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back