• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's going on with this finch? (1 Viewer)

Fraulein ash

Woodpecker stalker
Recently, some Purple Finches started showing up at our feeders out of nowhere, so we were really excited to see them! I was taking lots of photos and I noticed this little guy had some weird stuff on his face... at first I thought maybe he buried his head into the seed on the platform and it got stuck all over his face or something.

Then I saw (what I am assuming) the same bird a week later, his face was still looking weird. It seems like he doesn't really want to close his right eye all the way.

Anyone know what's going on here? Is he ok?
I have more photos if needed.

Attachments

• rsz_fincheyes.jpg
    rsz_fincheyes.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 14
  • rsz_1fincheyes2.jpg
    rsz_1fincheyes2.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 11
  • rsz_1fincheyes3.jpg
    rsz_1fincheyes3.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 15
A disease chronic to House and Purple Finches. Make sure your feeders are cleaned frequently as it is a catchable disease.

Oh NO!! Poor little guy. :( Is that all I need to be doing here, cleaning my feeders regularly? I already do that, once every 2 weeks or more frequently on some feeders when they need it (like the platform, it usually needs cleaning every few days). Is cleaning the feeders every 2 weeks with a solution of 1 part bleach 9 parts water sufficient enough to combat this? What about antibiotics in the bird bath, should I look into doing that? I have liquid Baytril (Enrofloxacin Fluoroquinolone Antibiotic) for pigeons available to me at the local shop, it's to treat Myco… but I am not sure if this would be dangerous for the rest of the birds, I worry that the ones that aren't sick would build an immunity to it or something.

I know Mr Finch didn't get his disease at my feeder since I only had House finches up until a few weeks ago, then a huge flock of Purples just showed up. I've never seen any birds at my feeder with eyes like this before the purple guy appeared. But my feeding station is very active with a nice variety of birds, I am very worried about the rest of them now.

Don't get carried away with your worrying.

As long as the Purple Finches are still feeding there, I would do a cleaning once a week. I can't answer your question on antibiotics but perhaps a nature rehabber in your area could answer your questions on that. Until you get a straight answer, I would not feed them anything in the form of drugs of any kind.

Be wary of using the antibiotics.

They may help this finch but if an immunity develops in bacteria that is in the vicinity it may lead to a "much harder to kill bacteria" causing more widespread issues...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back