• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-tailed kites in Santa Cruz, California (1 Viewer)

marcsantacurz

I had some interest from non-BirdForum people about a white-tailed kite with old injuries. I've posted a few photos of it before here on BF: https://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/610944.

I wrote up some of my experiences with the kites along with quite a few photos of their behavior and interactions with other birds on my website. If you would like to follow up on them, here you go: https://tear.com/2018/10/the-white-tailed-kites-of-santa-cruz

I attached a few of the photos from the story here. They show one of the adults with his injuries (this is the photo linked above) to right wing, right eye, and right eyebrow. The next is the same bird perched in a tree with a good detail on the injured eye. The next is two of the kites (one a juvenile, one adult) grappling each other before plummeting towards the ground. The forth is an adult (not the injured one) with prey transferring it to a young juvenile. The fifth is an adult (likely same as in #3 and #4) trying to scare off a northern harrier that landed in its hunting field.

Marc

Attachments

• 850_4658.jpg
    850_4658.jpg
    370.5 KB · Views: 7
  • MEM_4004.jpg
    MEM_4004.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 850_1734.jpg
    850_1734.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 7
  • MEM_3179.jpg
    MEM_3179.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 850_0228.jpg
    850_0228.jpg
    883.9 KB · Views: 7
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back