• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Aurora 8x42 (1 Viewer)

harold9649

Hi just wondering if anyone knows which country the above are made Japan or China also how do they compare with the latest DBA 8x42.
Harold

Mine have a sticker by the hinge saying Opticron Japan, so I would guess if Opticron are being truthful then they are made in Japan.
I tried both the DBA 8x42 and the Aurora 8x42 side by side before purchase, having gone in to buy a pair of DBA bins. I was so impessed by the image quality of the Auroras that I was quite happy to shell out the extra hundred pounds or so for the Auroras, rather than purchase the DBA bins.
Another thing about them, if you're a spectacle wearer the eye relief with the Aurora is far superior to the DBA bins.

I was wondering how the Aurora compares to the Minox HG (the older one, not the new £1000+ APO). Anyone tried them both?

Michael

Two easy answers for you:

- Yes, definitely made in Japan. No way can we find a Chinese factory that can hit the quality needed for this type of bino

- The Aurora encapsulates the Opticron aim to make lighter, brighter, sharper binos as the price increases. So the overall package feels smaller in the hand than the DBA and its optics are a step above too

As always, try to find a place to try them side by side and preferably against some other makers too so you get a fair comparison.

Cheers, Pete

Two easy answers for you:

- Yes, definitely made in Japan. No way can we find a Chinese factory that can hit the quality needed for this type of bino

- The Aurora encapsulates the Opticron aim to make lighter, brighter, sharper binos as the price increases. So the overall package feels smaller in the hand than the DBA and its optics are a step above too

As always, try to find a place to try them side by side and preferably against some other makers too so you get a fair comparison.

Cheers, Pete

As Peter says try before you buy. The best place to try the Aurora and the Minox HG will be the British Birdfair in August. If you can make it there.

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back