• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weldon Spring (Suburb of St. Louis), Missouri, United States - Gold Finch? (1 Viewer)

April818

I am new to birding. I have seen the usual Cardinal, Mourning Dove, Blue Jay, Starling, Wrens, House Finch, Black Birds, Juncos and even a Tufted Titmouse. This morning I saw an unusual little fellow. 'He/she' was smaller than a House Finch - looked muddy yellow-green on its body but the wings and tail feathers looked 'striped' black and white' from behind when he/she was standing on my porch. Could this be a Golden Finch? Shouldn't they be gone somewhere warm at this time of year? We have recently had an ice storm with snow. I have lots of black oil sunflower seeds, nyjer seeds, and a cheap mix of cracked corn, millet and sunflower seeds. I'm not sure what this little bird was eating- either the thistle or black oil seeds.

Sounds like an American Goldfinch to me. Sibley lists them as being year round in the St. Louis, MO area. They prefer thistle seed, but I have seen many eat black oil sunflower seeds as well.

You're right, it sounds like an American Goldfinch. They love thistle seeds and stay around all winter in your parts.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back