• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yahoooooo!!!! (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
I now have male and female hummers. The female showed up last night and this evening she was feeding every 10 minutes in this very chilly 20 degrees cooler than it should be for this time of year weather. How's that for a run on sentence ;)

Attachments

• 041405femRTHummer1.a.jpg
    041405femRTHummer1.a.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 214
LOL, not too excited, are we, KC? :bounce: Cute shot!

Just had my first two for the season yesterday as well, a male Black-chinned and a Broad-tailed, but I didn't see it, just heard its chirrrrrrrrring as it buzzed me early yesterday morning. I saw the back of it this afternoon again, but still just the fleeting glimpse as it took off for the trees. Wahooooooo, is right! I love these little guys!

Great KC.

I have female and male (don't know if more than one of either yet) Ruby-throated hanging around here in the Lost Pines. Have never tried to find a nest around the house.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Katy, my boss positively hates it when the hummers arrive cause I make sure I am out of the office while I still have sunlight. She asked me again, how long they will be here for. Boy did her face drop when I told her October ;)

Hi Mark.

I'm only sure of one male and one female myself. The problem here is I have sooo many pines and so many vines which I have been weeding out slowly. The point being that it is so hard to try and even locate a nest. Loads and loads of honeysuckle, carolina jasmine and a lot of thorny vines. The thorny vines which seem to have choked out a lot before I got here are slowly being cut out and down.

I know the feeling KC. With all the plants around my garden often looks more like a jungle, especially from now through next March when I am on the road talking about and looking for hummingbirds!
I just saw what I am sure was a female Black-chinned! I do not expect them in this area at this time of year, but some of my neighbors are insisting on removing a lot of pine trees and as a result some properties, which do not sell immediately, are looking more like the land about 40 miles west where the Black-chinned is the predominant bird. Maybe I will see both species through the nesting season this year!

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Katy Penland said:
LOL, not too excited, are we, KC? :bounce: Cute shot!

Just had my first two for the season yesterday as well, a male Black-chinned and a Broad-tailed, but I didn't see it, just heard its chirrrrrrrrring as it buzzed me early yesterday morning. I saw the back of it this afternoon again, but still just the fleeting glimpse as it took off for the trees. Wahooooooo, is right! I love these little guys!

Hi Guys: Know the feeling. A pair of rufous showed up March13. I'm at the extreme southern edge of their summer range and expected they were just passing through, but believe I have two pairs hanging out. Several trees give a good location to defend territory and give the annas fits. Anyone up in Oregon, Washington, or BC have sighitings?

Katy, Do you get black headed grosbeaks? I sent 3 families to Mexico on August 23, and the first male showed up Monday during a 3" snow.

Craig

craig whitmore said:
Katy, Do you get black headed grosbeaks? I sent 3 families to Mexico on August 23, and the first male showed up Monday during a 3" snow.
Craig
I sure do and I can't wait for them to return this summer! We had several breeding pair on and around the property last year. I love listening to 'em eat -- those beaks can really snap! ;)

I'll be visiting my favorite Black-headed Grosbeak area next weekend when I go west to the Davis Mountains. Hope to get a few new pics.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Most of what I get are owned by my employer. I do post a few once in a while so if I can figure out how, I may just do so.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Think I may have figured it out.

Black-headedGrosbeak.jpg
Black-headedGrosbeak1.jpg
Black-headedGrosbeak2.jpg

Me too me too!!!! I haven't seen ANY before today, but out of nowhere a male and a female showed up! I have two feeders, one SE (post mounted) and the other NW (window hung). I saw the female buzz up to the NW one right at about 6:30pm. I freaked, but didn't move so she wouldn't be scared away. When she flew off, I grabbed my camera. She came back and I was still setting up, so she flew off, scared. I was in place the next time she came back, but the camera was out of focus. :( She didn't come back in 45 minutes of me waiting with the camera poised, so I turned it off and went to make dinner. This puts me in view of the SE feeder, on which a male was perched, calm as could be! I ran back to grab the camera, but by the time I got to a decent light point, he was gone. I waited around a bit, but he didn't come back before dark. Hopefully I'll get some decent photos tomorrow.

Congrats on your great shot!

Mine seem to favor the window just outside my kitchen and figures, I put the screen back in 2 days ago. Well tomorrow it is coming back out. That feeder faces an eastern exposure but is also nestled in a dogwood tree and they just sit on the branches between fill up.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back