• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yucatan, Mexico - Flycatchers (1 Viewer)

rylirk

United Kingdom
Another few mysteries! There were loads of these little yellow birds around in the Yucatan peninsula in April 2015. The guidebook claimed they belonged to three species: boat-billed flycatcher, great kiskadee and social flycatcher. I think I managed to get an example of each (respectively)?

Attachments

• Boat-Billed Flycatcher.JPG
    Boat-Billed Flycatcher.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Great Kiskadee.jpg
    Great Kiskadee.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Social Flycatcher.JPG
    Social Flycatcher.JPG
    270.3 KB · Views: 23
I agree on one and two. I am unsure about the third: is there an image showing the head from the side even if slightly out of focus?

Niels

Afraid not, this is the only photo I have. I was going off the white stripe in the relatively thick black face stripes compared to the other two.

Size of bill and colors of back compared to the primary/secondary edges on the wings are usually the best pointers for a Social Fly (in addition to its voice being very different from Kiskadee).

Niels

Update! Found 2 photos a companion took of the same bird that I'd ID'd as the social flycatcher (the 3rd photo). Not a drastically different angle, but do these help?

Attachments

• DSCF4885.JPG
    DSCF4885.JPG
    332.7 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF4886.JPG
    DSCF4886.JPG
    210 KB · Views: 8
I have played around with your images and especially lightened them up. I think you were right all along.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back