• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron DBA Oasis 8x21 (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
These newish Opticron compacts have a great FOV (7.5). In Dublin, they retail (in the only shop where you can test them, or any decent bins) for about 400 euro, which is about the same as this shop is charging for Zeiss Victory 8x20 and Leica Trinovid 8x20 (the new Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR cost about 90 euro more, and the same shop seems to be overcharging considerably for Nikon HGLs, but hey, this is Dublin). I'm still debating with myself about which new compacts, and have pretty much narrowed my search down to Leica Ultravids, Zeiss Victory or just maybe these DBA Oasis. What I like is the FOV, but has anyone tried them in the field?

Sancho,
I really, really, (I mean really) like my Leica 8 x 20 BA Trinovids which are still available. They cost me $150.00 less than the Ultravids would have. If you see any laying around give them a try! I've tried these indoors (at opera's and concerts) and outdoors, mornings, noon and evenings and they continue to surprise me. Nice ER and about 335' FOV. Very bright and very sharp over a good 85 to 90% of the image. Negligible CA and pincushion distortion.
Bob

Last edited:
ceasar said:
Sancho,
I really, really, (I mean really) like my Leica 8 x 20 BA Trinovids which are still available. They cost me $150.00 less than the Ultravids would have. If you see any laying around give them a try! I've tried these indoors (at opera's and concerts) and outdoors, mornings, noon and evenings and they continue to surprise me. Nice ER and about 335' FOV. Very bright and very sharp over a good 85 to 90% of the image. Negligible CA and pincushion distortion.
Bob
Thanks for that, Bob. The Trinovids are still available here, and your endorsement sounds like it's from the heart, which says it all! Éanna

The problem with all compacts (less than 25mm aperture) is the bad eye-relief. Almost all 8x20:s are worthless for eyeglasses, but the Opticron 8x21 is stated to have 17 or 19mm (I have read both numbers) eye-relief. May the Opticron DBA Oasis 8x21 be the first real compact binocular suitable for eyeglasses? In that case I am very interested in them, especially when the apparant FOV is 60 deg. My Minolta Activa 8x25 D WP XL is great for eyeglasses, but the AFOV is only 44 deg.

Patric

Sancho said:
These newish Opticron compacts have a great FOV (7.5). In Dublin, they retail (in the only shop where you can test them, or any decent bins) for about 400 euro, which is about the same as this shop is charging for Zeiss Victory 8x20 and Leica Trinovid 8x20 (the new Leica Ultravid 8x20 BR cost about 90 euro more, and the same shop seems to be overcharging considerably for Nikon HGLs, but hey, this is Dublin). I'm still debating with myself about which new compacts, and have pretty much narrowed my search down to Leica Ultravids, Zeiss Victory or just maybe these DBA Oasis. What I like is the FOV, but has anyone tried them in the field?
I agree with you on fov - it's very important. My wife has the 10x25 Ultravids and they excel ergonomically - that oversized focusing wheel is really very useful in the field. The ultravids also do offer a pretty near "walk-in" view once you get used to them. Perhaps their major claim to fame is their brightness, though - stunning for such a compact glass.

scampo said:
I agree with you on fov - it's very important. My wife has the 10x25 Ultravids and they excel ergonomically - that oversized focusing wheel is really very useful in the field. The ultravids also do offer a pretty near "walk-in" view once you get used to them. Perhaps their major claim to fame is their brightness, though - stunning for such a compact glass.
Thanks, Scampo and Caesar; I eventually plumped for the Ultravids, as they are really pocketable, and the DBA´s were that bit bulkier, to the extent that if I were going to carry them I might as well take my 8x32 ELs instead. The compacts I needed for cycling, walking with the kids, that kind of thing, So I decided to sacrifice FOV for pocketability, and you´re right, out of the store, the brightness of the Ultravids is quite stunning, well into twilight. The focusing is lovely too, the big wheel is great, and it´s very quick, with remarkable depth of field for compacts. I must now undertake to give up my addiction to buying binoculars before I bankrupt myself. Thanks for the advice!

Sancho said:
Thanks, Scampo and Caesar... I must now undertake to give up my addiction to buying binoculars before I bankrupt myself. Thanks for the advice!
You'll not regret buying bthem - a beautiful piece of advanced designwork by Leica. Old Mr. Leitz would be shocked at the quality, I feel sure, but proud his company are still at the cutting edge.

How do people find the narrow (20mm?) eyecups of the Ultravid 8x20? I tried them a couple of times and the view was very good, but it felt like sticking the blunt ends of a couple of pens in my eyes. I guess you're meant to use them held clear of your eyes, but doesn't that get tiring?

I was looking at the Opticron DBA Oasis 8x21 because of its 131m FOV, 1.8m close focus distance, 17mm eye relief, more face-friendly size and (presumably) excellent quality optics. But where I am I can't find a pair to try. I was also looking at the Imagic BGA PC 8x25, but imagine the quality would be a lot less.

Michael.

MacGee said:
How do people find the narrow (20mm?) eyecups of the Ultravid 8x20? I tried them a couple of times and the view was very good, but it felt like sticking the blunt ends of a couple of pens in my eyes.

yep sounds how I found them.

if you go to the opticron website www.opticron.co.uk it has a contact email and phone number, they 'll know the nearest stockist for the DBA's

MacGee said:
How do people find the narrow (20mm?) eyecups of the Ultravid 8x20? I tried them a couple of times and the view was very good, but it felt like sticking the blunt ends of a couple of pens in my eyes.

I laughed out loud when I read this - totally how I found the Leica Ultravid 8x20s, too..... But then I looked through them again today and against my expectations decided that I'd live with the "blunt pens" effect because of the wonderful image quality and truly portable package - and walked out of the shop carrying the Ultravids, with a significantly lighter wallet!

BTW, the only slightly unnerving thing I have noticed on the Ultravids is that they "only just" focus to infinity before hitting the endstop - OK for me, but I think it would be a problem for someone relying on focussing "beyond infinity" to avoid wearing eyeglasses. Can anyone who owns Trinovid/Ultravid 8x20s let me know whether this is usual for these, just in case I have a maladjusted pair?

Many thanks,
Keith.

ferryman said:
the only slightly unnerving thing I have noticed on the Ultravids is that they "only just" focus to infinity before hitting the endstop - OK for me, but I think it would be a problem for someone relying on focussing "beyond infinity" to avoid wearing eyeglasses. Can anyone who owns Trinovid/Ultravid 8x20s let me know whether this is usual for these, just in case I have a maladjusted pair?
Many thanks,
Keith.

My 8x20 Ultravid certainly focuses beyond infinity, but not by as much as many other binoculars. Once focused at infinity, I can rotate the focus knob an additional 45 degrees or so (maybe a bit less).
--AP

My 8x20 Ultravid's focus at infinity with the pointer on the focus knob at 12 o'clock or just a hiar clockwise of that. The stop is at about 2 o'clock or about 60 degees. Great bin.

Thanks, folks.

Mine seem to focus at infinity with the pointer at "1:30PM" with the end stop at "2:30PM", so perhaps a little close to the edge, but I'll live with it - might get it looked at if I ever send them back for anything else.

I agree that they are really great bin - they seem superb in all conditons except when it's really overcast.

Keith.

With Ultravid 8x20 I can't focus further than about 70m, with HG 8x20 I am on the end stop at infinity, and with the Swaro 8x20 I've got plenty of adjustment left at infinity.
Guess which I bought?
For reference, my prescription is -6, both eyes.
It's best to avoid being on the end stop if possible, as prescriptions do change, especially if you are younger.

andrew_s said:
With Ultravid 8x20 I can't focus further than about 70m, with HG 8x20 I am on the end stop at infinity, and with the Swaro 8x20 I've got plenty of adjustment left at infinity.
Guess which I bought?
For reference, my prescription is -6, both eyes.
It's best to avoid being on the end stop if possible, as prescriptions do change, especially if you are younger.

Andrew;

Interesting observation. Just checked Swaro 8x20 and it went past inf. about 3/4 turn or 270 deg. Checked the Nikon 8x20 HGL and it went past inf. a little over 1/4 turn or 100 degs. I don't know what -6 means, my last check was 20/25 right eye and 20/20 -2 left and I really do not know what that means as far as comparing to diopters. Think it is about normal for 61. Looks as if Swaro does have more range.

Ron

I have tested Optricon DBA Oasis 8x21 and Nikon HG 8x20 shortly.

I found the Optricon to have a little easier "eyeplacement", maybe because of a bigger ocular lense. Goes almost out to the edge of the ocular. And maybe because of the 10% bigger exitpupil. When panning with the Optricon it is "wavy" (dont know the word in english). Maybe the image seemed a little "glassy" as well.
Nikon had none of that.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back