• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron Imagic BGA SE (1 Viewer)

I've just recieved a set of these bins and I can tell you they are truly fantastic. I can tell no difference between these and some Ultravids I have used previously.

Crisp, bright image, extremely wide field of view, nice in the hand, not massively expensive, a thoroughly good buy.

What one do you have? I was quite interested in the 7x42. How is the CA on them?

Cheers!
Gary

I've got the 10x42-I think the 7x42 has got an even wider FOV as well.

The CA is present, as would be expected with binouclars without ED glass, but it is only really apparent when I do strange things with the binoculars, such as look into them from a really strange angle, or look directly into an area of high light contrast (such as the dark face of a tree with the sun shining brightly around it. 95% of the time there is no CA.

Hope this helps.

I've got the 10x42-I think the 7x42 has got an even wider FOV as well.

The CA is present, as would be expected with binouclars without ED glass, but it is only really apparent when I do strange things with the binoculars, such as look into them from a really strange angle, or look directly into an area of high light contrast (such as the dark face of a tree with the sun shining brightly around it. 95% of the time there is no CA.

Hope this helps.

Yes, thanks. Sounds like they are a bit better than the Nikon Monarchs that I have at the moment. They have rather a lot CA which is a shame as in other respects they are quite nice for the price. I guess I'll just have to try a pair out for myself - not always easy with Opticron as not every shop stocks them.

Incidentally I notice you are aiming to get a set with quite low magnification-just thought I'd add that if you are going from binoculars with a small FOV to ones with a big FOV you might be able to handle more-my backup pair is a 10x25 Opticron Vegas which can be a bit tricky to use, but my new ones with the wider FOV are beautiful at 10x in terms of shake etc.

For the price, you can't go far wrong with the Oasis 8x42's. I tested a load of bins in this price range and these were optically far superior. The whole package in terms of waterproofing, coatings weight etc. make them excellent value for money imho. I own a pair of SLC's but would be just as content with a pair of these for all the percievable difference it would make.

Just a minor heads up though for any current Imagic owners. If the twist up eyecups start to feel 'gritty' during retraction/extraction, peel of the rubber eycups and check that the 3 screws that hold the swivel eyepieces on are nice and tight. What was thought to be simply debris was one of these screws working loose that eventually fell out unnoticed until the eyepiece drooped over to one side! All of the other screws throughout were still nice and tight.

Despite this (presumably rare occurence), I would NOT knock the build quality of these bins so please don't be put off! Far worse has happened to bins twice the price!

All credit to Opticron for superb after sales service. I explained the problem to an engineer at 2 in the afternoon and had replacement screws (one spare) the following morning!

Although sadly after light cleaning with the supplied cloth the coating of one of the lenses has gone a strange colour-not a clue why, as I wasn't exactly laying into it.

Although sadly after light cleaning with the supplied cloth the coating of one of the lenses has gone a strange colour-not a clue why, as I wasn't exactly laying into it.

Sounds scary!! I tend to only use cotton buds or a cotton hanky for wiping off dusk and lint etc ~ been doing this to my long suffering Opticron TGA's for years with no trouble!

Is the view effected?

Matt

I don't think the view is affected, but it looks rather weird and is totally unexpected as the coatings are meant to be quite durable and not exactly able to be damaged by light use of the official Opticron cloth!

What I'll do is ring the service department up on Monday to see what they say. Hopefully it will still be repairable free since it is on a warranty and I wasn't exactly trying to clean it with a blowtorch!

Hopefully it will still be repairable free since it is on a warranty and I wasn't exactly trying to clean it with a blowtorch!

If they are damaged they will most certainly be repaired (if not replaced) free of charge on warranty, opticron have a great customer service reputation...they also have a UK based service department so you won't be kept waiting while they are serviced at the country of origin!

Let us know how you get on!

Matt

Basically I got my mum to ring them up after telling her the details (as they are only open during office hours), and she said that she was talking to the chap in charge, who said that coatings are meant to be very robust and practically undamageable "unless you cleaned it with sandpaper".

He's asked me to send him a picture of the lenses to make sure they "are not the one in a million" that go wrong after simple cleaning.

Incidentally he thought that the colour change might be down to grease or something else in the air landing on the cloth and smearing the glass.

I can also testify for the build quality of these binoculars as I have just had a bit of an OMG moment-the bins slid out of their case, flying down about two foot, to go smack onto a metal car door, and then onto a stony drive.

Cue much shaking and swearing!

However they appear fine, with no decollimation and just a slight dent in the armouring. Thanks be to any deity you care to mention!

I seem to be having a right bloody troubled time with these bins so far! I can't think what'll happen when I save up for something like a Zeiss Diascope!

This the view of a Nature photographer in Norway

They are not in the same league as Leica Swarovski etc as suggested in the original post. If that is was is being suggested let alone stated by South West Optics then its a very mighty statement!

They may be comparable to the likes of the SLC / Conquest or Minox but as good as the FLs / ELs / HGLs / Ultravids ? --- no way hose!

Dan, a step up from the Verano (and the Helios AM-6, which is a Verano clone) would be the Opticron BGA SE. A fair bit more than your top price, at £355, but I thought I'd toss it in anyway. The old BGA was much the same (I believe) as the Pentax DCF SP, so the new SE should be even better than that much praised model. To give you an idea of the quality of the BGA SE compared to the Classic, again at 8x42, here are the scores given to them by Kikkertspesialisten (out of 12) for Resolution, Contrast, Brightness, Edge Sharpness, Glasses-friendliness and Build Quality:

Classic....9+...10....9+..8+..11..11–
BGA SE..10+..10+..9+..11..11..11

Leica Ultravid 8-42 HD 11- 11- 10 11 11 11 =10,7
Swarovski EL 8,5x42 WB 11- 11 10 11- 11 10+ =10,6
Zeiss Victory 8x42 + FL 10+ 11 10+ 11 11 10 =10,6

Opticron Imagic BGA SE got =10,5 if 3+ = 1

This is ratings based on quality not prices, and it is birdwatchers and proffesionals that have given these grades!!!

The owner of a bino-store in Norway recomended me Opticron over Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski, and he sells them all. He told me to choose
10x42/8x42 Imagic BGA SE over more expensive Opticron's and said that they were equal to or better than Swarovski SLC 10x42 WB new, which is the same as EL optical wise(EL is lighter and more compact) Soon I will go there and check myself, I never told the guy that I had a budget, however I told him that my family which hunts reindeer allways have used Zeiss and Swarovski, and that I wondered if they are worth the price over other brands like Vortex, Opticron, Nikon, Meopta Kite and so on. I am 100% sure that he makes more profit if I buy Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski, since they go for twice the price of Opticron Imagic BGA SE!

Different views on this subject....

any hint of grease on the lens will give the affect described some times when cleaning coated lenses you dont realise you have finger grease on the cloth and next think you have a silver streak on the surface, looks allmost as though you've taken the coatings off!
it can be dificult to remove and tends to smudge giving the impresion you've taken more of the coating off. if i get grease on a lens i use a solvent and clean wipe to remove any greasy marks and hey presto its gone and they look normal again as continual rubbing with a dry cloth seems to have no affect at removing grease on glass.
i've had no problems with mine

regards mark

Had a chance to try out the 8x42 Imagic se recently and found it a very likeble piece of kit, noticably clearer and sharper than the model it replaces (BGA Classic) though not much brighter. The extra field of view was also apparent as was the close focusing....overall the binocular felt very well made and reminded me of my old Minox BD 7x42!!

However, they're still not enough to beat the amazing HR WP 8x42, also from Opticron!! As soon as I put them to my eyes I could tell in an instant they were brighter, sharper and more contrasty...they don't have a great field of view or close focus but once you're locked onto a target I doubt you'd get a better image from any roofprism less than a Swarovski SLC, Zeiss Conquest, Nikon HG or Leica Trinovid!!

Matt

Sometimes I wonder.....

Today I got my hands on a few binos that I wanted to check out, this is my short resume.

The weather was cloudy but clear, with deasent light.

Leica Ultravid 8-42 they were very good on optics, but didn't like the feel of the focusing wheel and they are not worth the price at all. they cost 2,9 times the Imagic

Swarovski EL 8,5x42 WB Brilliant optics, but they feel clumsy compared to Opticron. However the optics are excelent, but pricy! they cost 2,5 times the Imagic.

Zeiss Victory 8x42 + FL this was a disapointment, they are good, but for the price they were not good enough. They cost 2,4 times the Imagic

Opticron Imagic BGA se 8-42 These bins are unbelievable, optics and feel are totally insane for the price and the competition.

I couldn't really tell the difference between Imagic, Leica and the El. I could probably look for things that could separate them, but I used them like I would use any bins and I am surpriced on behalf of the Opticron Imagic, I also tried the DBA and Aurora and they were not better. However, the Aurora was very compact, but they cost almost twice the price and are not worth it.

I did switch between all the binos I mentioned, back and forth and there is no doubt in my mind when the day comes

However, the best binos that I tried was the Swarovski SLC 8-56 but at 1,29KG or almost 3lbs, they will stay at home, but they were insane good!!!

Has anyone compared these to the now discontinued Minox BD 8.5x42/7x42 BR?

I had an old pair of 7x42 which I liked very much but no longer have, just wondering how similar the same spec Opticron would fare as I'm pondering over a demo pair I've seen recently..unfortunately I can't get to try them out in person!!

Matt

Hello everyone!

Opticron BGA SE series pincushion and "globe-effect" the distortion of how large an Nikon HG, and Leica Ultravid, Leica Trinovid compared to a series?
Nikon HG 8×32 binocular I looked for myself, but maybe that Opticron BGA SE 8×32 too meets the my claims, only the 64° I am worried about experiental fields of sight because of the distortion.

I use web translation, because of this excuse me if the question is understandable difficultly.

Hello everyone!

Opticron BGA SE series pincushion and "globe-effect" the distortion of how large an Nikon HG, and Leica Ultravid, Leica Trinovid compared to a series?
Nikon HG 8×32 binocular I looked for myself, but maybe that Opticron BGA SE 8×32 too meets the my claims, only the 64° I am worried about experiental fields of sight because of the distortion.

I use web translation, because of this excuse me if the question is understandable difficultly.

You are right, that makes no sense at all

All I can say, owning a pair, is; they are not as good, optically speaking - smaller sweet spot, not as sharp (personal opinion), duller - as the Alphas you mention. They are fairly heavy, not as heavy as the Nikon. But what they are; is extraordinary good value for money. They are 95% of the quality of the top bins for 30% of the price, plus you get a 30 year warranty from a company with one of the best customer services around. I highly recommend them.

Paul

All I can say, owning a pair, is; they are not as good, optically speaking - smaller sweet spot, not as sharp (personal opinion), duller - as the Alphas you mention. They are fairly heavy, not as heavy as the Nikon. But what they are; is extraordinary good value for money. They are 95% of the quality of the top bins for 30% of the price, plus you get a 30 year warranty from a company with one of the best customer services around. I highly recommend them.

Paul

This is useful information, thanks for the reply!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back