Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Bird list Camargue - France

Old Thursday 19th March 2015, 17:28   #1
1206Miiskaa

Post Bird list Camargue - France

Hello guys,
have you ever been in French National Park Camargue? Do you have bird list which species is possible to find there? Or your own bird list containing birds you saw there? We are going there in May and we are really looking forward to it. It would help us a lot. I found some bird lists but it gaves "only" 180 species :) and I heard that there are around 400 species. And we are curious about it...

Could someone help me?

Thanx!
Old Thursday 19th March 2015, 18:08   #2
Peter C.
...just zis guy, you know?
BF Supporter 2018

Hi Miiskaa,

As this is your first post on BF, let me start by saying 'welcome to the Forum!'

Now, I have spent a few days on the Camargue, about 4 years ago I think, but I don't have a list just for there. My list would be very poor anyway, since the one day we went down to les Salins (the salt pans), le Mistral was really kicking up, and so it was hard to stand up straight, never mind look at birds! Of course, that didn't stop us from seeing a lot of flamingoes, and shorebirds were certainly plentiful - I particularly remember the stilts. A Pallid Swift was a nice find, though.

Had much better luck at the "barrens" of le Crau, just east of Saint-Matin-de-Crau. This is totally different kind of place, but home to all kinds of birds we didn't see anywhere else in France, like European Roller, Southern (Iberian) Grey Shrike, Tawny Pipit, and Hoopoe. We totally "dipped" on the Lesser Kestrel and the Little Bustard, but we are assured they are there. Birds are shy, though, so a scope would have been really useful; missed several species that were in plain view, but just a bit too far away for us to ID.

Perhaps in May, birds will be singing and/or displaying, and you will have better luck (we went in August).

Last edited by Peter C. : Thursday 19th March 2015 at 18:13.

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 19th March 2015, 18:33   #3
1206Miiskaa

Thanks for your reply and welcome! :)

Yes, the timing is perfect and we presume that birds will be very active. But we also have to be lucky!
As you mentioned le Crau, we are going to visit this area too. It looks interesting and kinds you mentioned are remarkable! Hope, our trip will be successful and full of interesting (bird)watching. :)
Old Saturday 28th March 2015, 22:25   #4
timsg80
Gregor Tims

Got some info on what I saw in the area in August 2013 in the link below if you're interested. It is such a fantastic place for birds, lucky you going there!

http://http://gregorsbirdblog.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/south-of-france-10th-august-30-september.html?m=1

gregorsbirdblog.blogspot.com
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: