Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Collins Bird Guide for Android Survey

Old Thursday 15th June 2017, 19:30   #126
turin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobhowe View Post
Does anyone else find that when the photos are selected and zoomed in it won't let you scroll down so the bottom section can't be seen?
I had this problem but was fixed in an update
Old Friday 16th June 2017, 12:49   #127
Gordon

In reply to John Cantelo

I wouldn't commit 100%. But, I run lots of non Amazon stuff on the Kindle Fire.

Can't remember the details but I've installed Google Play Services/Google Store/Google Services Framework as required. Needles to say all info needed to get round Kindle's limitations are available on the web!!!.

Best to contact the app developers for advice though.
Old Friday 16th June 2017, 16:44   #128
dipperone

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-W View Post
It is a different "branch" of the Android OS on a Fire, so unless you can install Google Play on the Fire, the answer would be no.
Unless and until it is available on the Amazon Apps.
I have just downloaded the Collins App on my Kindle Fire HD 8( 6th gen) without any problems. Follow these instructions on this link https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how...n-fire-tablet/
It takes a few minutes to load once downloaded and away you go!
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 18:19   #129
wedejaz
Paukštukas

Is it only me who still has long response search issues?
Old Sunday 18th June 2017, 22:54   #130
tapaculo
Mildly Obsessed
BF Supporter 2018

Collins Guide, iOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Scott View Post
It's a bargain at £12.99 (or £17.99 on itunes). Pity I've got an iPhone!
It works just fine on my iPad Mini. (What a fabulous app!) Is there some particular problem on an iPhone, or am I misunderstanding you?

BF Supporter 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 19th June 2017, 02:33   #131
fugl
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapaculo View Post
It works just fine on my iPad Mini. (What a fabulous app!) Is there some particular problem on an iPhone, or am I misunderstanding you?
I think he's complaining about the price of the Apple version vis-a-vis the android. I've had the Apple version since it came out and it's worked flawlessly on all my iOS devices.

--Gerard Manley Hopkins

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 19th June 2017, 08:51   #132
dalat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedejaz View Post
Is it only me who still has long response search issues?
I had this issue, but it was solved with an update. Perhaps check the version number to make sure you got the last updates...?
Old Friday 23rd June 2017, 08:17   #133
wedejaz
Paukštukas

Yes me is up to date. And I've contacted the developers before the major update on this issue.
But looks like I have to deal with it and look forwards new updates.
Old Friday 1st September 2017, 21:00   #134
Hermann

A quick note on the Collins Guide:

I finally took the plunge and actually bought a couple of apps for my android, among them the Collins Guide. So far I really, really like it. It's fast, no hiccups at all on my Note 4 running Android 6.01. Great app.

BTW, does anyone here have any experience running Android in a sandbox under Windows 10? My tablet is a Windows 10 tablet for a variety of reasons, and I'd quite like to be able to run the app on it.

Hermann
Old Sunday 10th September 2017, 08:20   #135
Essex Tern
BF Supporter 2018

Am loving the app - am going to leave the paper copy at home now, and replace this with a powerbank to recharge (should I need to) my phone on the go going forwards.

Biggest positives for me are the zoomable images, and the playable voices.

An improvement that could help me is if we could set the initial menu icon to be one bird across, rather than two, making this bigger, also with bigger text. Also if the narrative on each bird etc were zoomable - I could then use it without my glasses!

BF Supporter 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 12th September 2017, 07:44   #136
Egret

My wife and I have installed the Android version on our phones and its working well. However, I cannot see any instructions as to how to transfer the app to a new phone. I know that, on this thread, it was said to be easy to do it between Iphones. Anyone know how it works for the Android version? Fortunately, we both have new phones and won't face the issue for a while!
Old Tuesday 12th September 2017, 08:17   #137
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
My wife and I have installed the Android version on our phones and its working well. However, I cannot see any instructions as to how to transfer the app to a new phone. I know that, on this thread, it was said to be easy to do it between Iphones. Anyone know how it works for the Android version? Fortunately, we both have new phones and won't face the issue for a while!
I think if you installed it from Google Play you should be able to install any apps you've bought previously onto a new device. You would just set up the new device with your Google account and download.

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 15th September 2017, 22:57   #138
John-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egret View Post
Andrew's answer is correct, if you buy any app from the Google Play Store, a record of it is retained, so as long as you are using the same Google (Gmail) account, you can reinstall it on any other device.
Old Saturday 30th December 2017, 14:25   #139
Winterdune

When I first purchased the app in the week it was released as a beta I asked the developers if we'd be getting the video library available on IOS. They replied that we would and they estimated about six months. That's gone by now but we don't yet have the video downloads options so I have contacted them again and am waiting for a reply. Does anyone else have any news on this?
Old Saturday 30th December 2017, 23:16   #140
Winterdune

Had a reply. They are hoping for January!
Old Tuesday 2nd January 2018, 16:36   #141
hwinbermuda

Good day
Is there a thread anywhere on using this app for Android, please?
Happy with it as a guide, but am having a devil of a time adding to lists, and in particular adding to multiple lists at the same time.
Thank you in advance for any direction
Harry
Old Saturday 24th February 2018, 07:58   #142
Essex Tern
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofford View Post
When I first purchased the app in the week it was released as a beta I asked the developers if we'd be getting the video library available on IOS. They replied that we would and they estimated about six months. That's gone by now but we don't yet have the video downloads options so I have contacted them again and am waiting for a reply. Does anyone else have any news on this?
Not sure if just available to beta testers currently, but videos are now here in beta version at least.

Unfortunately I won’t be able to test them all, as I shan’t be buying them again, (bought them all on iOS for home reference on iPad) but found at least one for free, House Sparrow, and that works just like iOS.

Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 08:45   #143
Winterdune

Yes I have had a message saying that they are now available. They cost £5.99 for common birds, £8.99 for scarce and another £8.99 for rare. Has anyone bought them yet? If so what do you think?
Old Saturday 10th March 2018, 12:03   #144
Essex Tern
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofford View Post
Yes I have had a message saying that they are now available. They cost £5.99 for common birds, £8.99 for scarce and another £8.99 for rare. Has anyone bought them yet? If so what do you think?
They are nice to have, and as I say I have them all on iOS - but did find that House Sparrow and Blue Tit are free (and possibly others) so if you want to see what they are like test them there - look to be the same videos as with iOS.

I would say they are ideal for home use, especially on a tablet, but I am unlikely to use in the field, hence not buying again for my Android phone.

Old Sunday 15th April 2018, 18:28   #145
peter.jones
You may say I'm a dreamer.. but I'm not the only one

Chromebooks are starting to emerge with the ability to use Android Apps from the Google play store.
don't suppose anyone has used this app on a chromebook?

(Never saw the point in chromebooks until very recently, but I suspect in the near future a 2in1 model will be replacing my android tablet and my laptop which is used solely for web browsing, youtube/netflix and filling in survey spreadsheets.)
Old Thursday 12th July 2018, 19:49   #146
Winterdune

I bought one of the video packs but can only play them in one of the two devices I have the app installed on. Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Thanks
Sean
UPDATE - solved by reinstalling the app.

Last edited by Winterdune : Friday 13th July 2018 at 18:21. Reason: Update
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: