Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Best Antivirus

Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 10:44   #1
DaveN
Derwent Valley Birder

Best Antivirus

I recently purchased a new PC which came with a month's free antivirus with Mcafee. The free month ends tonight and I was wondering what to do. A friend who knows a bit about computers (well more than me anyway) said a free version of Mcafee or AVG should suffice. But I was wondering what others think would be the best option. As it's a new PC I don't want to compromise it by getting basic free protection if that's not enough to fully protect me. So I'd be grateful for any opinions.

Wyver Lane list 154-latest Great White Egret. Derbyshire list 242-latest Honey Buzzard. Carsington Water list 197-latest Wood Sandpiper.

Last edited by DaveN : Tuesday 20th February 2018 at 11:59.
Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 12:35   #2
Mono
Hi!

The built in protection that comes with Windows 10 is more that adequate. The most important anti-virus tool is behind the keyboard! Check the bona fides of any links, especially in emails, before you click on them.
Old Tuesday 20th February 2018, 12:56   #3
delia todd
Moderator but....... If I say the wrong thing put it down to Senior Moments
BF Supporter 2018

That's what I was told too, Mono. I've never 'paid' for an anti-virus yet and never picked up anything.

Mind I'm not a great one for clicking on things that I don't understand, so am careful. Even if I'm pretty sure an email is from my bank, I go in my own way, not through the link they provide.

2006 63, 2007 52, 2008 46, 2009 32, 2010 31, 2011 27 Total 81

Latest Patch tick: Magpie

The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing - Socrates

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 22nd February 2018, 10:40   #4
DaveN
Derwent Valley Birder

Many thanks both. I was completely unaware that Windows 10 had inbuilt adequate protection. However, can I just pick your brains again. I did a quick google search of Windows 10 protection and it mentions that it is "good enough as long as you couple it with a good anti malware program." Is that something I will already have or is it something I should maybe download? Cheers.

Wyver Lane list 154-latest Great White Egret. Derbyshire list 242-latest Honey Buzzard. Carsington Water list 197-latest Wood Sandpiper.
Old Thursday 22nd February 2018, 11:28   #5
Mono
Hi!

There can be a lot of paranoia in writing about computer security, some anti-malware products will flag up advertising cookies as "threats". There is also a desire to up-sell products, all the free anti-virus and anti-malware products have bigger and "better" premium offerings.

Using the Windows 10 Defender with automatic updates (the default setting) is fine.
Old Thursday 22nd February 2018, 13:08   #6
Bubbs

I took my Desktop in for a simple updates problem and the tech guy completely lost everything. Needless to say I wasn’t going to give him a second chance and took it to a guy who had been recommended to me. He recovered everything and at the same time installed Malwarebytes free and it is wonderful. Further to that; a recent brilliant article in a Saturday glossy magazine stated that there was no need ever to pay for protection.
Old Thursday 22nd February 2018, 18:01   #7
d.steeley

Hi, I also have a new PC. I am happy to stick to Windows Defender (already installed on W10 machines) and Malwarebytes Anti-malware free.

Dave
Old Friday 23rd February 2018, 13:41   #8
DaveN
Derwent Valley Birder

Thanks for the replies all. I'm happy to stick with Windows 10 then. Cheers.

Old Friday 23rd February 2018, 15:18   #9
jape

The advantages to paid security are usually addons like backup, multiple devices, lost device recovery, remote data wipe if lost etc.

The advantages of free anti-virus are, free, many have frequent automatic updates, quick response to new threats, scheduled scans at various levels. Good review sites help choice and will refer to these points and disadvantages such as advertising.

It is in my consideration foolish not to extend the Windows Defender coverage but the extent to which you do that depends on some research into the above points, operating ram, memory, amount and intent of browsing and spam received etc..

Another alternative is to go to a Linux OS with basic free antivirus. You save data too that way but it is a slight learning curve.

Backups of data, docs and pics are also certainly as important. Do not rely on one method. I am a retired electronics tech. and have managed a computer store. I have seen quite rare, but devastating virus and other attack destruction. 'Set and forget' of any decently reviewed free antivirus that scans in background and checks realtime should not interfere with computer usage and will, at least once in a lifetime, prove worthwhile for home users in my experience. I use Eset but have used AVG, Kespersky and others, changing according to reviews where pertinent and usually when advertising or purchase prompts get annoying. For anyone with any enterprise where one holds data or information concerning others, the AV is essential.

Malwarebytes free already mentioned is very good software and covers areas not in all AV software but if i recall you do have initiate some scans. I always use it or similar.

Research for an hour, make choice, set and forget, backup all data both on and off site. It is a real world, be careful.
Old Friday 23rd February 2018, 18:01   #10
gdhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jape View Post
Malwarebytes free already mentioned is very good software and covers areas not in all AV software but if i recall you do have initiate some scans. I always use it or similar.
Malwarebytes scans can be scheduled or initiated on demand. The "threat scan" takes less than ten minutes on my new Windows desktop.

Gary H
Old Friday 23rd February 2018, 18:57   #11
jape

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdhunter View Post
Malwarebytes scans can be scheduled or initiated on demand. The "threat scan" takes less than ten minutes on my new Windows desktop.

Gary H
thank you Gary. I really like that software but the free version had restrictions on something last year, either updates or scheduling. it is not a bad thing to set a weekly reminder to check scheduled updates and backups anyway.

i am now completely on android os with no lack of any usual function including office software and that suits me. especially as i save gigabytes on windows updates now i am on mobile data. thus i freed my heavily MS based win 10 laptop for occasional use with a light linux os. should have done it years ago but people, including me, are often constrained from drastic change by conservative attitudes to reliability.
Old Thursday 19th April 2018, 15:08   #12
kamino17

only Kaspersky for me
Old Thursday 19th April 2018, 16:29   #13
Jim M.
Choose Civility

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamino17 View Post
only Kaspersky for me
Wouldn't touch them myself. Last I heard they have been linked to the KGB--accused of providing KGB with special access to anyone who uses it. US Government now prohibits anyone in the government from using it.

BF Supporter 2013 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: