• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in the Charente-Maritime department (1 Viewer)

Phil Andrews

It's only Rock and Roller but I like it
United Kingdom
I am due to spend a week with the wife's family in Gemozac during August. Sensing I probably will need to escape at some point for my sanity can anyone recommend any good birding locations in the area, ideally no more than 30 minutes drive from Gemozac No particular target species other than stuff I don't normally encounter in Britain.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Phil,

Head straight towards the Gironde estuary for Aquatic Warbler ! There's a ringing station operational in August at Mortagne-sur-Gironde run by Biosphere Environment ( http://www.biosphere-environnement.com/ >> Actualités and scroll down for the details. Contact Raphael to arrange a visit etc.) There'll be other interesting stuff to see in the area as well and it's only 15 minutes away so you could sneak off regularly ;-)

A bit further afield (45 mins) there's a nice little reserve (Terres d'Oiseaux) at Port de Callonges west of St-Cires-sur-Gironde and just north of the nuclear power station. Given that there'll be plenty of migrants coasting south at this time the possibilites are endless all along the estuary.

Eugene

You can head north west 30 ks or so to Le Gua, lots of ponds, pools, waterways near the mussel beds, you should see Marsh Harrier, Black Kite, Short toed Eagle & Black winged Stilts, the cereal fields of Sablonceau nearby are good for Montagu's Harrier too.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back