• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Swift Audubon 8,5x44 do I have? (1 Viewer)

Sven W

Due to an unfortunate accident saturday, I need a quick replacement for my Swift Audubon 8,5x44. After some hard thought I have decided (99%) to replace it with a new Swift porro.

My old one was bought as a Swift Audubon 8,5x44 BWCF, and the shop still carry them at a reasonable price. My problem is that I'm not sure if this is the same as the 820, 820FD or possibly a third model. How can I tell the difference?

The old one is marked Model No 820 and has FOV 430 Ft at 1000 yards which if I understand it right has some significans for the id.

Thanks,
Sven

Thanks Ed,

So BWCF is the same as 820 and 820ED is the same as BWCF ED. I will try to see if I can find a local reseller which has the ED version as the price difference is so small.

/Sven

I wasn't able to find a seller of the ED version, so I bought a similar pair instead. Both where purchased as Swift Aubudon 8,5x44 BWCF. However there are a large number of differences between them, can somebody enlighten me? How can it be so large difference within the same model?

Weight: 788 grams on the old, 856 g on new.
Rubber protection: The old is slightly darker and the surface is smoother
Close focus distance: 2.1 m on the old, 3.5 m (new)
Field of view: about 5% larger on the old.
Sharpness, color etc: definitely better on the new, but this might be related to the fact that the old has lossed its alignment
Serial: 204436 (old), 506197 (new)

Sven,

I really haven't studied the 820 models, and concentrated on its predecessor, the 804. What you've said is rather confusing. Was your old one an 804?

Ed

elkcub said:
Sven,

I really haven't studied the 820 models, and concentrated on its predecessor, the 804. What you've said is rather confusing. Was your old one an 804?

Ed

Both are marked as Model No 820, and have identical markings. Like this one posted previously:
http://www.birdforum.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=35592

I forgot one important difference. The new one has rotating eyecups which never stays in the same place, the old had another construction and worked fairly well.

I'm confused as well, the difference is much larger than I had expected.

/Sven

Sven W said:

How can it be so large difference within the same model?

Weight: 788 grams on the old, 856 g on new.
Rubber protection: The old is slightly darker and the surface is smoother
Close focus distance: 2.1 m on the old, 3.5 m (new)
Field of view: about 5% larger on the old.
Sharpness, color etc: definitely better on the new, but this might be related to the fact that the old has lossed its alignment
Serial: 204436 (old), 506197 (new)

These differences suggest that you have a different binocular design, whatever its model number is. I'd suggest that you contact Swift (somewere in Europe) and find out what's going on. If you don't like what you have I hope you can get a refund.

Let us know what you find out please.
Ed
PS. The serial numbers may or may not be date coded. Did you buy the first one in 02 or 03 by any chance?

elkcub said:
The serial numbers may or may not be date coded. Did you buy the first one in 02 or 03 by any chance?

Yes the first one was bought in june 2002.

I will try to see if I can find something out. Apart from the eyecups, the differences are no big problem. I am also thinking about using some superglue to keep the eyecups in place.
/Sven

elkcub said:
These differences suggest that you have a different binocular design, whatever its model number is. I'd suggest that you contact Swift (somewere in Europe) and find out what's going on. If you don't like what you have I hope you can get a refund.

Let us know what you find out please.
Ed
PS. The serial numbers may or may not be date coded. Did you buy the first one in 02 or 03 by any chance?

Hi Ed

Dont know if this helps and its just something i heard via a Swift dealer in UK about 18 months ago which he mentioned in passing when i was testing an 820 Audubon with the twist out cups
He said that earlier models had the normal cups not twist up (whether he meant earlier 820 's or was referring to the older 804 model i cant be totally sure but in the context of the conversation i certainly took it as early 820 models not the previous 804 spec)
This would not explain weight differences though so perhaps Sven's spec is an entirely different varaition

Regards
Rich T

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back