• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

North American splits (1 Viewer)

Interesting list, and another step in the undoing of the “great lumping” of a few decades ago (unless I’m forgetting something, all that’s left unchallenged at this point are Dark-eyed Junco & Northern Flicker).

The same practical arguments which were valid for lumping then are valid now. So I am pretty confident that after the current "second splitting" there will be "second great lumping". :-O

Of course, one would need a group of younger ornithologists to grow up, so they would feel that taxonomic change is something fresh and they would make a name of themselves.

:-O

A lot of the current splits are backed up with solid genetic evidence...much of the former lumps were based on strict interpretations not largely supported

I doubt we will see a great lump again, nor do I expect a new "species concept" to appear.

IIRC, there are researchers working on the flicker situation, although I am not sure if the Junco situation will ever reverse itself

A lot of the current splits are backed up with solid genetic evidence...

I would say, very few splits are based on meaningful genetic evidence: that is two breeding populations meet, and large genetic sampling shows no interbreeeding, ergo, they cannot hybridize.

The rest has no genetic evidence... Or genetic difference exists, but it is no speciation evidence - it falls within ranges where two populations could successfully hybridize and merge if they meet (broad in birds), and there is no serious way to tell that populations will not meet in future (bird ranges and habitats change quickly!).

I agree with Mysticete. We are unlikely to see a great lump again. The 1973 lump seemed to be due (in broad-brush terms, from my standpoint) to the application of a "similar forms not overlapping/narrowly hybridizing are conspecific" philosophy which has been replaced by looking at genetic and other differences.

A lot of current splits are based on genetic evidence showing no interbreeding for up to ~1 million years if I recall correctly.

If the AOU takes too long to act on these proposed splits, one only has to adopt the IOC list. The IOC publishes new splits every other month or so without the bureaucratic voting and thought that encumbers the stodgy AOU.

Maybe they're taking their time in the hope that further speciation will have taken place in the meantime. Surely it would be simpler to wait a few millenia and save themselves lots of hassle? ;) (Although maybe the only species around by then will be House Sparrow, and maybe a Mynah or two ...)

Solitary sandpiper was one that might be missing from the list based on the bar-coding results

Niels

I doubt we will see a great lump again, nor do I expect a new "species concept" to appear.

I agree that we will not see lumping of the sort embodied in the "Great Lumping Event" several decades ago, in which anything that could possibly hybridize is lumped. It is useful to remember that, for nearly two hundred years prior to the 60s and 70s, splitting was the norm.

However, if the "Great Lump" was an abuse of the Biological Species Concept, I do fear that in out times, the Phylogenetic Species Concept (or subspecies concept!) is abused as well. Thus, I would not be surprised if, in another decade or two, we see the "reeling back" or at least reorganization of some of our current species limits.

To go out on a limb, I see a ripe example in our scrub jays. I think Woodhouse's and California make good splits, but perhaps more palatable were the Island population relegated to a subspecies of the California. This sort of thing is at least a future possibility that does not require us to ignore genetic advances, etc, only to reinterpret how we use them. However, I do agree that lumping of this sort would not be considered "Great," and that scale of lumping is unlikely... or at least difficult to foresee!

Regarding new species concepts, I'm still not convinced we've seen the end. I'd like to see a more holistic species concept, with a better balance of behavior, genetics, and ecology. I'd like to see the Biological Species Concept recognize that hybrid zones will occur in certain environmental situations; I'd like to see the Phylogenetic Species Concept recognize that sometimes members of the same species just don't see each other for thousands of years, and I'd like the Evolutionary Species Concept to recognize that any new species is necessarily nested in an old one - and there are still plenty around! I'd also like to see the geneticists and ecologists be forced to agree, whenever a lump or a split is made!

Last edited:
I gather that this one didn't do it for you?

Johnson, N. K. et al. 1999. Resolution of the debate over species concepts in ornithology: A new comprehensive biologic species concept. Pages 1470–1482 in Proceedings XXII International Ornithological Congress (N. J. Adams and R. H. Slotow, Eds.). University of Natal, Durban, South Africa.

Species concepts

Johnson, N. K. et al. 1999. Resolution of the debate over species concepts in ornithology: A new comprehensive biologic species concept.
Sounds interesting (it's ref'd by Helbig et al 2002). Available online anywhere?

Richard

Last edited:
most definitions of the ESC allow paraphyly of species.

People have been announcing the end of the species concept debate for as long as I have lived...I don't see it being in resolved fully before I die.

This is fun! Top 28, including Sibley's 10+4. My very own layman's rating.

1. Willet
2. Whip-poor-will (AOU proposal)
3. Winter Wren (AOU proposal passed)
4. (NEW) Mexican Duck (closer to Mottled than Mallard, IOC splits)
5. Yellow-rumped Warbler (IOC splits)
6. White-breasted Nuthatch
7. Marsh Wren
8. Fox Sparrow
9. Spruce Grouse
10. Western Scrub-Jay
11. Eastern Meadowlark
12. Curve-billed Thrasher (AOU proposal)
13. Northern Pygmy Owl (voice, slight plumage)
14. Savannah Sparrow
15. Red Crossbill (I get a headache)
16. Northern Flicker (why split Gilded and not these? how numerous are the intermediates really?)
17. Harlan's Hawk
18. California Clapper Rail (Eastern Clappers closer to King)
19. California Raven (closer to Chihuahuan, but are there any plumage or vocal differences at all?)
20. Bicolored Blackbird (vocal and plumage differences)
21. Timberline Sparrow
22. Saltmarsh Nelson's Sparrow
23. The juncos (very different, but not in voice and DNA)
24. Purple Martin (Eastern/Western)
25. Red-shouldered Hawk (California, Florida, Eastern. Plumage and weird distribution. IOC potential)
26. Cactus Wren (California vs the rest. Plumage, voice)
27. Azure Bluebird (Arizona, Eastern. Distribution, plumage)
28. Merlin (Black, Prairie)

Plus a bunch of splits visavi extralimitals
* Common Gallinule (SACC already accepts)
* Black Scoter (voice, plumage. IOC splits)
* Hudsonian Whimbrel
* White-winged Scoter (plumage, contact zone in Asia. IOC splits)
* "Smithsonian" Gull
* Northern Shrike (closer to various Asian species than excubitor)
* Pacific Fulmar (plumage)
* Japanese Pipit
* American Pine Grosbeak (deep genetic split)
* American Goshawk (deep genetic split)
* Northern Harrier
* Barn Swallow (deep split in Palearctic, this groups with Asian ones)
* White-winged Crossbill
* Mew Gull

And a few question marks:
* Nashville Warbler (very weird distribution - are there any differences?)
* Warbling Vireo (often discussed, but based on what?)

Any thoughts?

This is fun! Top 28, including Sibley's 10+4. My very own layman's rating.16. Northern Flicker (why split Gilded and not these? how numerous are the intermediates really?)

Yes, lots of fun & an interesting list.

But about hybrid flickers, they’re sometimes quite numerous. Of the 6 flickers that have been regularly visiting my feeders for the last couple of months, for example, no less than 3 are intermediates & I’m way to the west of the official “hybrid” zone. [Just answering your question, BTW, not staking out a position with regard to the desirability of further flicker splitting].

Here’s a photo one of my hybrids: http://www.flickr.com/photos/fugl/4386068358/

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back