• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Highland garden (1 Viewer)

Nice thread Marcus, Wigeon in the garden eh? They feeding on the fat balls or seed feeder? :)

King Eider if full plumage off Burghead just now if your heading this way. Plus flock of 10 Whoopers in field beside main A96 on the Nairn side of Inverness airport roundabout.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I have been across for the Eider a few times - what a stunner!

Have you had it in the harbour yet? That would be something special. I understand it does come in but I have never had it there despite trying in all conditions and tides...?

Cheers. Marcus

Hi Keith,

According to birdtrack we are on 53 for the year. I imagine the total for the garden is about 65, but I don't think I have had anything I wont see this year (except maybe Pom Skua).

Real shortage of mammals. Go to Chanonry which I can see form the house and Grey Seal is pretty common but I've not recorded one yet. The other real shortage I have is garden birds oddly enough.

(number in brackets is number of birds days from birdtrack when I have completed a proper observation)

Mute Swan (2)
Whooper Swan (2)
Pink-footed Goose (2)
Greylag Goose (3)
Wigeon (2)
Teal (1)
Scaup (1)
Eider (1)
Long-tailed Duck (2)
Goldeneye (2)
Red-breasted Merganser (2)
Slavonian Grebe (1)
Shag (1)
Grey Heron (3)
Red Kite (1)
Buzzard (3)
Kestrel (1)
Peregrine (1)
Oystercatcher (3)
Lapwing (3)
Dunlin (2)
Snipe (2)
Woodcock (1)
Black-tailed Godwit (1)
Curlew (2)
Redshank (2)
Turnstone (1)
Black-headed Gull (2)
Common Gull (3)
Herring Gull (2)
Great Black-backed Gull (3)
Feral Pigeon (2)
Woodpigeon (1)
Skylark (2)
Meadow Pipit (1)
Rock Pipit (1)
Pied Wagtail (yarrellii) (3)
Dunnock (2)
Robin (1)
Fieldfare (2)
Song Thrush (1)
Redwing (2)
Goldcrest (1)
Blue Tit (1)
Jackdaw (3)
Rook (3)
Carrion Crow (3)
Hooded Crow (3)
Starling (3)
Chaffinch (2)
Brambling (1)
Linnet (2)
Twite (1)

Last edited:
Met one of my neighbours (the dairy farmer) this afternoon who informed me of a dead, dog otter 1/2 a mile away. Also, turns out his wife is a keen birder and has asked if we can all get together for a dram to discuss putting up some bird hides up on the shore for the local school children to visit after visiting his dairy.

They keep a bird list on the farm and have some really interesting breeding species and some Hares that I can go and photograph. Excellent.

Last edited:
Real gales blowing across the water today brought us a new species in the form of two shelduck batlling in the wind. Biggest count of barwits yet at 112 along with 12 knot. A further 20 scaup and two long tailed duck.

3 blue tit made a visit to the garden at the weekend as did a dunnock. 50 or so Oycs on the lawn and the usual Whooper.

Real gales blowing across the water today brought us a new species in the form of two shelduck batlling in the wind. Biggest count of barwits yet at 112 along with 12 knot. A further 20 scaup and two long tailed duck.

3 blue tit made a visit to the garden at the weekend as did a dunnock. 50 or so Oycs on the lawn and the usual Whooper.

We are meant to be getting something like 80mph winds on Saturday. It'll be interesting to see what turns up. I'll not be out today, its just too dreich.

Wonderful conditions for seawatching this morning with flat conditions and good visibility.

2 x Black Throated Diver (new species)
1 x Great Northern Diver (new species)
22 x Long Tailed Duck
9 x Eider
8 x Slavonian Grebe
2 x Scaup
11 x RB Merganser
5 x Goldeneye

Usual waders and ducks on shore and a Brambling over.

Grey Seal for the mammal list at last.

Just missed the shots of a lifetime.

A peregrine came through and chased the birds over the water before nailing a Lapwing into the sea and then the grounded bird and started plucking as I dashed for the camera. Came back and Buzzard is mobbing the Peregrine before eventually stealing the kill. Mid air combat of all kinds!

Gutted, no worthwhile shots. Still great garden action!

Only just stumbled across this thread, Marcus - superb read and some fabulous images! Well done and good luck in the wilds of Scotland.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back