• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nethybridge (1 Viewer)

First post...it's been a warm decent week.Todays best garden birds were a Jay, crested tit on peanut feeders,treecreeper and 2 GSwoodies.As usual the Red Squirrels put on a great show.
Rob

First post...it's been a warm decent week.Todays best garden birds were a Jay, crested tit on peanut feeders,treecreeper and 2 GSwoodies.As usual the Red Squirrels put on a great show.
Rob

Nice list there. Walki.g round Loch Morlich was stunned by the sheer number of Crested tits. 19 in two trees bouncing around.

A walk on Friday in Glenmore produced a Black Grouse and cresties and after trying 3 times for the Iceland gull at broomhill,Nethybridge managed to spot it yesterday after a 4th visit.Jay still about in the garden and a fair few Long tailed tits,cresties,treecreeper,great spotted woody and loads of chaffies.Not seen any Brambling about so far....any about?
Red squirrels still providing plenty amusement chasing about the garden/trees.

Nice list there. Walki.g round Loch Morlich was stunned by the sheer number of Crested tits. 19 in two trees bouncing around.

Wow, that's quite a flock of Cresties !! Got the impression they had a good breeding season last year.

PS Good to see Nethybridge having it's own thread Rob......keep it going!

Considering Nethy is such a mecca for birders and wildlife enthusiasts sad to see Highland Council has pulled funding a permanent ranger at the centre in the village hall. No idea why the CNPA doesn't have it's own dedicated Ranger service either, complete with identifiable vehicles as in most other NPs throughout the world. It would seem a good idea for the public to be able to have contact with identifiable "staff" of a National Park area, complete with a base and visitor centre but this seems not to be in their remit......anyway, I won't dwell on CNPA, housing developments, new villages, destruction of local woodland etc. etc. or I'll be here all day..;)

Last edited:
Considering Nethy is such a mecca for birders and wildlife enthusiasts sad to see Highland Council has pulled funding a permanent ranger at the centre in the village hall. No idea why the CNPA doesn't have it's own dedicated Ranger service either, complete with identifiable vehicles as in most other NPs throughout the world. It would seem a good idea for the public to be able to have contact with identifiable "staff" of a National Park area, complete with a base and visitor centre QUOTE]

Fully agree John.I enjoyed visiting the Centre a couple of years back and the Ranger Service were very helpful.

That really is a shame, the Rangers there did an awful lot to get children interested in wildlife and the outdoors and ran some good events.

Regards, Audrey.

Well said Audrey.Children or should I say,most children are more happy to be stuck In a room watching TV or playing computer games and the wildlife around them Is of no Interest to them,unless someone Introduces them to the birds,plants and mammals that they can see and they are the future hope to conservation.

I remember In the 1980's doing voluntary work at the Sands of Forvie Nature Reserve and I enjoyed taking school parties around the Reseve and pointing out the wildlife to them and most of them seemed very Interested and I only hope a few of them followed up their Interest.In fact I used to receive letters and paintings of what they had seen at the Reserve and It made It all worth It.

The Centre at Nethy had a great display,which would have caught the Imagination of many a child and It Is sad that this Is no longer available to children....and adults.

Highland Council do run an excellent ranger service, and run many local events throughout the year. So this effectively does cover the NP along with the Cairngorm Mountain ranger service who also run many events.

However I think there still should be a separate service identifiable specifically as National Park Rangers who interact with visitors as National Park staff. There should also be a central NP visitor and information centre where people know they can go for information in one place. Plenty of derelict space in Aviemore...ideally the eyesore of a garage remains that has greeted tourists for years now as they arrive from the south to the village!

Last edited:
Feeders in my garden here in Nethy fairly quiet but good to see a treecreeper on peanut feeders.Garden regulars but usually on trees of course and also getting insects off walls.Not seen them on feeders before.Colour ringed GSW also about...reported to usual channels.
24 Snow bunts at Lossiemouth this aft.

Several Chiffchaffs singing this year in the village. First I've heard in 15 years. Wonder if they are expanding range?

Several Chiffchaffs singing this year in the village. First I've heard in 15 years. Wonder if they are expanding range?

Not so much expanding their range, as intent on world domination!

I can remember when I was at school (mid-70s), my best friend's father was intent on finding the most northerly breeding chiffies in Britain - just north of Morecambe Bay in Cumbria.

They seem to have spread round coastal woodlands first - I have heard them round Gairloch, the woods along the north coast of Sutherland, Easter Ross and the Moray Firth over the last few years. They now seem to be spreading more and more into the interior.

Cheers

Gordon

Not so much expanding their range, as intent on world domination!

I can remember when I was at school (mid-70s), my best friend's father was intent on finding the most northerly breeding chiffies in Britain - just north of Morecambe Bay in Cumbria.

They seem to have spread round coastal woodlands first - I have heard them round Gairloch, the woods along the north coast of Sutherland, Easter Ross and the Moray Firth over the last few years. They now seem to be spreading more and more into the interior.

Cheers

Gordon

Blackcap too......a scarce bird in Strathspey 10 years ago, bird singing away in my garden now as I write!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back