• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A (Pricing) Blast From The Past (1 Viewer)

I think I bought my first full size Leicas in 1991, 10x42 BA "Ultras". It was a hard pill to swallow ponying up $1000. I never regretted it though.

I think I bought my first full size Leicas in 1991, 10x42 BA "Ultras". It was a hard pill to swallow ponying up $1000. I never regretted it though.

The thing that gets me is that 10 years later (in 2001), a top-end bin from Leica, Zeiss, B&L, or Nikon could still be had for $1000 or less (e.g. I got my Leica 8x32 Trinovid in ~1998 for $710), but then, when Swarovski priced the EL at $1250, things were never the same after. I'm not claiming cause-effect, just that prices started ticking up significantly around 2001 after a long period of stability. The climb to ~$1600 or so happened quickly. Maybe, in hind-sight we've been in another period of relative stability. Top-end bins are now priced ~$2500 but it seems that they often sell for less (even under $2000) for one reason or another.

--AP

That's how I remember it as well, Alexis. A relatively sudden ramping up in prices. When birding bins hit the $2k mark I remember thinking that's it, I'm out.
Used are another story.
It's not that I'm not willing to pay for premium optics, it's that I'm not willing to pay that much for something that I use handheld. There just isn't that big of a difference for me, after a certain point.
Handling and ergonomics are more important, to me.

Last edited:
Opticron Elite 9x35s! My first bins in 1985. £120 I think they were.
Didn’t really suit me as a glasses wearer but there weren’t many bins for us species back then.
Wish I still had them, I’d love to see what I think of them now.

Things didn't cost less ....... the money was worth more.

Yes, the fall in the value of the dollar was a big part of it. However, nothing else that I like to buy rose in price like bins did, so they stick out in my memory, _and_ my salary didn't increase correspondingly. :(

--AP

I bought my Leica 8x20 BCA in September 1990 for the same £211 shown on the price list, but from a different dealer.

14 years later I bought a Zeiss FL 8x42 for £915, which is almost double the prices of the 7x42/10x40 Dialyts shown on the price list.

Fascinating looking back in time.

Lee

Much of the quality in those 1990 optics can be had today for under $1000. In some cases, much less. The best optics in 2018 are luxury items and one should expect to pay a premium. The rules of supply and demand cannot be ignored.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back