• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds 'starve' at S, Korea wetland (1 Viewer)

Hi,

I am sorry to see that news. The Saemangeum Wetlands was the first ever campaign I was involved in with great support from the RSPB who were already involved and David Conlin of Proact who inspired me , Charlie Moore and BirdsofKorea. I would like to thank them all, they worked so hard and got so little support.

I didn't know the destruction of the wetlands would have this effect so quickly.

We have seen what has happened to the rainforests and changes in weather patterns. now this will we ever learn?

Think, it could be an area next to any one of us next.

Ann :-C :-C :C :egghead:

Very sad news indeed. When will the human race ever learn?
Jo

Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money. ~Cree Indian Proverb[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Incredibly sad, I was there on a guided tour with Nial Moores 3 yrs ago and we saw Spoon-billed Sandpiper and Nordmann's Greenshank along with Broad-billed Sandpiper, thousands of Great Knot, Red-necked Stints etc, one of the most magical estuaries I have ever seen. Even then the tidal flow had changed due to the wall being nearly completed.

Hi Ann,
Thanks for the kind words.
The campaign to save what's left of Saemangeum isn't over yet: we (as in Birds Korea) are on the ground surveying at the moment with a 40 person team from six or seven countries and the issue is receiving a lot of media coverage (at last). South Korea is due - unbelievably - to hold the 2008 Ramsar Convention and we're working hard to get them to recognise their obligations under Ramsar and at least re-open the sluice gates built into the sea-wall and allow some tidal flow. additionally we want them to declare the neighbouring Geum estuary a Ramsar site: at the moment this estuary is proving vitally important - it too though is slated for "reclamation".
If anyone would like more details I keep the Birds Korea website regularly updated: it's nowhere near as sophisticated or modern as BF, but as we're all unpaid volunteers we're doing the best we can! the URL is http://www.birdskorea.org.
Thanks for your support
Charlie

I have just sent mine, now on 191, if every member of BF sent one just think of how many emails would be sent. Come on Guys and Gals it is so important we save this vital wetland, how do we explain to future generations if this is lost and birds like the Spoon-billed Sandpiper are lost forever. Sorry I am going into my Bob Geldoff mode. :-C

Email sent. Sent the link to my friends who are passionate about wildlife conservation but aren't into birds so didn't even know about the destruction of this habitat. They were very interested in it and have sent their emails too. Lets hope its not too late to do something to save this important place.

After a visit to Korea last year this will have to be a war simply because they want to build on all of the wetlands not just a small part. In fact the guide that led the party took great pleasure in telling us so.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back