• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Small fast bird in flight - Florida (1 Viewer)

Zackiedawg

While out in the local wetlands in South Florida, I walked into a 'hunting' ground for numerous small swallow/sparrow-like brown birds, moving at extreme speed, low over the water, small chirping sounds, erratic patterns of flight with quick directional changes...far too fast to identify any patterns, though they looked relatively plain. Clearly they were a brown/grey color with little or no patterns, and with a buff or white underparts. Small black all-purpose bill, looked like black feet and legs. I managed to get a shot of one as it was darting about:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/131317709/original

I've temporarily labeled it 'sparrow' but the closest I can come to a possible ID by looking through the guides would be possibly an eastern phoebe.

Can anyone identify it by the photo and description?

Also as a bonus ID, I believe this is a solitary sandpiper, but if anyone is able to confirm, it would be appreciated:
http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/image/131317707/original

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all, and thank you for the help.

The first bird is Northern Rough-winged Swallow, I think - happy to be corrected.

The second looks like Greater Yellowlegs - also happy to be corrected.

Cheers
Josh

Great shot of the Swallow. Also nice shot of the Greater Yellowlegs. I suspect the white eyering on the Yellowlegs is what led to your ID. While this is one of the field marks to distinguish Solitary Sandpiper, it does need confirmation of other marks like leg color (greenish yellow) and bill length to narrow down the choice to this species.

You have the id's just wanted to say great photo of the swallow, they are hard to follow much less get in focus!

Thank you all for the identifications...and the compliments on the catch - it isn't my sharpest photo - but it took probably 10-15 shots to get one even this good - they really do dart around quickly! I hadn't even considered that type of swallow - wasn't one I was familiar with down here...so I guess it's a new spotting for me.

Thank you as well on the yellowlegs...funny, I originally labeled it a greater yellowlegs, then changed the ID to sandpiper because of the pattern on the back and the eye-ring making me think it didn't quite look right for yellowlegs. I should have stuck with my first instinct!

Ah...thank you! I had 'sparrow' labeled there before, and added northern rough-winged, but forgot to change to 'swallow'! Appreciate the heads-up.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back