• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White Pelicans? (in Turkey) (1 Viewer)

sgokce

Hi everyone,
I was walking around today. I saw a bird group like a cloud. They were very very away from me. I pushed my small camera's limits by using optic zoom + digital zoom to identify them. So the photo qualities are very very bad.

They seemed white-black coloured from the long range. But they weren't flying like storks. Because they were turning right or left as a group suddenly. They weren't hovering either. The group members were also very close to eachother. The flying behaviours seemed different from storks to me.

I know the pics are terrible. But maybe somebody can identify them by the informations i give? Are they White Pelicans or Storks? Thank u for your help in advance...

Attachments

• IMG_6652 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6652 (Large).JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_6654 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6654 (Large).JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 210
  • IMG_6655 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6655 (Large).JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_6656 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6656 (Large).JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_6658 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6658 (Large).JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 113
Additional two terrible pics:) By the way, the bird group sometimes turn left or right like a group of Starlings. I don't think Flamingoos would fly like that.

Attachments

• IMG_6653 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6653 (Large).JPG
    28 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_6657 (Large).JPG
    IMG_6657 (Large).JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
buckeye, white storks don't cirlce so close together and not in formation (i.e. not looking all into the same direction). in this case i'm absolutely sure, just came back from a trip to the danube delta (like every year) where i saw 1000+ ind.
nils, of course there might be a few dalmatians in that flock but the huge mass definitely are pelecanus onocrotalus (white stork wing pattern, 3rd pic).such a large flock of dalmatian's would be a sensation either.

best,

Last edited:
buckeye, white storks don't cirlce so close together and not in formation (i.e. not looking all into the same direction).
I know. Well, I know that white storks don't soar, or flap, in formation - though they certainly do circle as close together as these are. But... no-one said the birds in pic 3 are circling. (Whether they are circling or not, I still think these are probably white pelicans - but I think it unwise to say 'definitely'.)

You can tell that that they are circling by the different photos showing upper and under shots.

If you can rule out Dalmatian on wing pattern. You can rule out White Stork on shape (and like Lou, on flock shape/formation). What else are they? I'm with Lou - definitely White Pelicans - and like Lou I too was watching hundreds in similar circling flocks only two weeks ago.

By the black in the wing pattern.
More importantly, how is white stork excluded by those who say 'definitely'?

In my limited experience, I saw funnels of White Stork like this from PODA in Bulgaria. My first reaction was....Oooh Pelicans. But after being allowed to scope the funnel, I agreed with the residents/experts. Storks for me I reckon.

dave...

You can tell that that they are circling by the different photos showing upper and under shots.
...but only because (as it turns out, if you check the EXIF data) all the photos were taken within a 40-sec period; otherwise there would be no proof that the birds in pic no. 3 are circling. Behaviour thus indicates that they are white pelicans.

You can rule out White Stork on shape
No, you can't. Such shape as is discernible (which is in pic no. 3 only) fits white stork as well as it fits white pelican.

...but only because (as it turns out, if you check the EXIF data) all the photos were taken within a 40-sec period; otherwise there would be no proof that the birds in pic no. 3 are circling. Behaviour thus indicates that they are white pelicans.

the proof is in that this is a series of images showing both uppers and unders - they're circling. You don't need meta data to tell you this.

No, you can't. Such shape as is discernible (which is in pic no. 3 only) fits white stork as well as it fits white pelican.

Sorry, I disagree - its discernible to me (and seemingly others). You disagree cos you cant see it yourself.

But they weren't flying like storks. Because they were turning right or left as a group suddenly. They weren't hovering either. The group members were also very close to eachother. The flying behaviours seemed different from storks to me.

According to the observer, the birds are circling and they are not storks. We shouldn't forget to give credit to the observer's description sometimes...

On a side note, I'd just add that I have never seen a flock of White storks circling "in unison" like Pelicans, but Abdim's storks flocks behave exactly like a flock of pelicans when rising on thermals, changing direction at the same time, etc...

P.S: White pelicans for me too ;)

the proof is in that this is a series of images showing both uppers and unders - they're circling. You don't need meta data to tell you this.
Pic no. 3 is the only one in which birds are identifiable, and in that pic they could be flying in a straight line unless you know what's happening immedately before and after that photo was taken.

Sorry, I disagree - its discernible to me (and seemingly others).

Sorry, I disagree (we could go on like this indefinitely). I accept that you believe it's discernible to you. The 'seemingly others' is your interpretation of things that people haven't said.

You disagree cos you cant see it yourself.

I disagree because I believe you to be mistaken about the discernible differences between the shape of white pelicans and white storks in flight at great range and/or in mushy photos.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back