• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (1 Viewer)

I went to Burton Mere Wetlands today, Highlights were 2 reed bunting and 2 avocets. My year total is now up to 59.

All my pictures from today are in my blog which the link for is in my signature below.

My year list is now up to 103
New birds from today were:
Green Woodpecker (less than 1 metre away from me!:eek!:)
Peregrine Falcon
Wood Sandpiper (though small chance it was a Green SP)
Swallow

Forgot Little Egret
Year list now 104

Last edited:
My year list is now up to 103
New birds from today were:
Green Woodpecker (less than 1 metre away from me!:eek!:)
Peregrine Falcon
Wood Sandpiper (though small chance it was a Green SP)
Swallow

Forgot Little Egret
Year list now 104

Believe that would be the first record of Wood Sand' in the UK this year (far too early), so what features lead you to ID it as Wood? They are very similar.

Sam

Believe that would be the first record of Wood Sand' in the UK this year (far too early), so what features lead you to ID it as Wood? They are very similar.

Sam

Agree- it's very early. Contests if it is!
Although I thought there may have been one reported a few days ago. Might just be me imagining things! Maybe I'm getting too much sun...
For my personal list (not specific to a country) I've seen 42 year birds so far, do I'm on 221 for Britain and Spain. Still 179 for Britain. I was hoping to get to 180 before I left.
Welcome btw Silverstar!
Michael

Hi folks, sorry for no updates, I'm in Norfolk at the moment and its been a busy week. Have had a good time so far with some decent birds on my newly adopted patch on private land surrounding my mum's house + elsewhere in the county. Certainly a non-bird highlight on the patch so far was an Otter on Wednesday; a stretch of the River Wensum runs along my patch and it was along here that I had it. Will update the yearlist tomorrow evening and provide some patch and general norfolk accounts after I have spent a day in the Broads/East Coast and hopefully will have managed a few more yearticks.

You're correct in your suspicions Michael, there's was one at a site in Kent a couple of days ago I think (can't remember the site though) so there is an outside chance that silverstar's (welcome by the way) bird was a Wood Sand. Much more likely to be Green Sand tho, seems to be a good number of them dotted about at the moment.

Cheers

Joseph

Last edited:
You're correct in your suspicions Michael, there's was one at a site in Kent a couple of days ago I think (can't remember the site though) so there is an outside chance that silverstar's (welcome by the way) bird was a Wood Sand. Much more likely to be Green Sand tho, seems to be a good number of them dotted about at the moment.

Cheers

Joseph

Cheers guys.:t:

As it happens, I was in Kent! The Sandpiper had quite distinct 'spangling' and pale orange-ish long legs.
It was flushed by a pair of flying Gadwall before I cold take a picture.:-C

Todays new bird was a Martin. Unfortunately it was quite dark so I was unable to tell whether it was a House or Sand. I'd be grateful for an ID so below I've posted some brightened shots;)

Attachments

• _DSC1818.jpg
    _DSC1818.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 55
  • _DSC1820.jpg
    _DSC1820.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 51
  • _DSC1821.jpg
    _DSC1821.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Cheers guys.:t:

As it happens, I was in Kent! The Sandpiper had quite distinct 'spangling' and pale orange-ish long legs.
It was flushed by a pair of flying Gadwall before I cold take a picture.:-C

Todays new bird was a Martin. Unfortunately it was quite dark so I was unable whether it was a House or Sand. I'd be grateful for an ID so below I've posted some brightened shots;)

Sand! Note brown colouration and large white face-mask. In flight the easiest indication is whether or not it has a white rump, as this is very noticeable. Oh, and good pics! I've never managed one of a Sand Martin!

Sam :t:

Some new yearbirds for me today: Little Blue Heron, Osprey, Common Gallinule, Wilson's Snipe and House Wren. Puts me at 103.
In other news, the Eastern Bluebirds in my yard have hatched 5 young.

1st) Birding Maniac (UK, Durham) - 179 species
2nd) Birder of the South (UK, South) - 166 species
3rd) Jonny721 (UK, Lancashire) - 150 species
4th) Simmojunior (UK, London) - 147 species
5th) Joseph N (UK, Aberdeenshire) - 147 species
6th) Armin Kreusel (Germany) - 134 species
7th) Halcon (Spain) - 114 species
8th) Midlands Birder (UK, Midlands) - 109 species
9th) Silverstar24 (UK, London) - 104 species
10th) Joshua B (Australia) – 103 species
11th) Ospr3y (USA) - 103 species
12th) Adin 92 (Malta) - 80 species
13th) Knotsbirder (UK, Nottinghamshire) - 79 species
14th) Goldfinch12 (UK, Lancashire) - 59 species
15th) Wildlifelove (UK, Essex) - 56 species
16th) Sandhill Crane Lover (USA) – 54 species
17th) Mari E (Japan) - 50 species
18th) Mworks (UK, Lancashire) - 39 species
19th) Beth598x (UK, South) - 19 species

Nice work guys, sounds like birding has been decent for you all recently. What are you on for the year Sam? You haven't updated in a while and I'm sure you've seen plenty of decent things since you last did.

I am on 147 now after the last week or so in Norfolk. Hopefully will manage a few more yearticks before I leave as I'll be birding the North Norfolk coast on Tuesday. Some of the highlights of my stay away from my patch down here have been 2 Woodlarks at an undisclosed Breckland site, 2 Stone Curlews at Weeting Heath and 4 Garganey at Lakenheath, amongst other things such as Bearded Tit and Crossbill. A day on the Broads was pretty quiet, but 2 Short-eared Owls were nice to see hunting near Acle.

I've been birding my new patch on private land round my mum's house near Norwich everday since arriving here, and its been pretty good. Some of the highlights have included Kingfisher, Barn Owl, Otter, a now daily Cetti's Warbler and Little Egret. Both Kingfisher and Cetti's Warbler were year ticks, and the patch has provided me with other easy yearticks such as Chiffchaff, Blackcap, Swallow, Lesser Redpoll and Green Woodpecker. To give you a better idea of the area, a post will shortly be on my blog which includes what I've seen there this week if anyone is interested.

Joseph

Last edited:
Sorry Joseph, my "listing" computer has been playing up of late and I haven't been able to update for a while. However I got it working for a few minutes and found that I'm now on 121. Summer migrants have included 2 Garganey, Chiffchaff, all three hirundines, Yellow and White Wag, Common Tern. Other recent highlights include lots of breathtaking views of Cetti's on patch, along with the Tern, 3 Ruff and Redshank, and a stunning 2w Iceland Gull whilst dipping the Thayer's. Also a good trip into Yorkshire provided views of SEO, Little Gull, 2 Black-necked Grebes and a stunning displaying Red-necked Grebe. However a brilliant spectacle at Parkgate yesterday takes the biscuit: no less than 8 SEO's (probably more), Merlin, 2 Peregrines and a ringtail Hen Harrier hunting the saltmarsh, and then finally the wagtails down the road at Burton Mere Wetlands RSPB. Anyway, a couple of recent shots from the last few weeks (some of them haven't resized all that well unfortunately):

Attachments

• Garganey 4 (1200x678).jpg
    Garganey 4 (1200x678).jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 52
  • SEO 2 Small.jpg
    SEO 2 Small.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 46
  • Spoonbill 4.jpg
    Spoonbill 4.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Hen Harrier.jpg
    Hen Harrier.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 53
  • RN Grebe (1200x633).jpg
    RN Grebe (1200x633).jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
A couple more from the patch:

Attachments

• Cettis Warbler 2 Small (1200x854).jpg
    Cettis Warbler 2 Small (1200x854).jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Great Tit (1200x768).jpg
    Great Tit (1200x768).jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Weasel (1200x676).jpg
    Weasel (1200x676).jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Reed Bunting (1200x798).jpg
    Reed Bunting (1200x798).jpg
    202 KB · Views: 44
  • Blue Tit (1200x806).jpg
    Blue Tit (1200x806).jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 39
Probably my worst birding year ever!!!

Just not been able to find the time at all. Although I am defo going to try and get the ball rolling again. Going to Scotland in June for a weeks birding holiday so that will give the list a real boost.

My year list for 2012 now stands at 57 but I haven't added any birds since the 6th January!!

Regards
Marcus

Marcus, you need to come birding in my patch. I'm sure you could attain many lifers! I need to go birding abroad. Western Europe sounds so tempting! I would love to see those European Robins!
Also, yearbirds Orchard Oriole, Eastern Meadowlark, Red-headed Woodpecker, and Great Crested Flycatcher have been added to my yearlist, putting me at 107 birds so far. Can't wait for migration to kick in!

I have a few new birds to add to my list from today:
Egyptian Goose,
Stonechat,
Chiffchaff,
Song Thrush, chuffed about seeing this bird for the first time:-O
And possible, Mistle Thrush

The last bird (Mistle Thrush), I'm not so sure about since it was only around for a few seconds so below I've attached an image. I thought Mistle Thrush because of the spottiness but I'd appreciate other peoples thoughts.

Carl

Attachments

• _DSC1851.jpg
    _DSC1851.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 69
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back