• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2016 (2 Viewers)

Are Starlings uncommon in your neck of the woods Warixenjalka?

No. I see those every week (but not every day)- Not winters thought. So It could be Starling quite well. I have never seen Redwing on / for my yard, so I didn't count it. But I have seen them near my house recently, probably migrating Redwings. I have a feeling that Redwings like more wilder forest areas than other thrushes.

From April 19th-today:

69. Broad-winged Hawk
70. Northern Saw-whet Owl - calling
71. White-throated Sparrow
72. Savannah Sparrow
73. Brown Thrasher
74. Field Sparrow
75. Blue-headed Vireo
76. American Bittern - New yard bird #101. Flying over! Nice bird for a yard!

From April 19th-today:
76. American Bittern - New yard bird #101. Flying over! Nice bird for a yard!
Round here Bitterns count as great year birds, let along garden birds! Congratulations.

Seems luck is in all round at the moment. Rainy day here, sat at upstairs window typing and look up to see No 42 Osprey fly past. Fab. Fairly common visitors to the nearby lake, but usually when there are more leaves on the trees so I am less likely to spot one from home. No 72 for the life garden list. Very nice.

Super raptor day, beginning with an Osprey flying over with an enormous fish fairly early on, then a purple patch in early afternoon with first a Lesser Spotted Eagle slowly drifting over, then a female Montagu's Harrier arriving to spend about half an hour in my meadow, rounded up by a White-tailed Eagle drifting to the south. Also, a steady passage of Marsh Harriers, a few Common Buzzards and one Sparrowhawk.

Perhaps even more notable, flying over whilst the Montagu's Harrier was quartering, a very nice flock of eight Great White Egrets heading south - second record this spring, but my seventh record ever for my land and the largest ever flock (just exceeding the seven on 4 May last year).

Also newly arrived Willow Warblers, a flock of about 20 Tree Pipits, one Hawfinch and, rather pleasing, two pairs of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers actively establishing territory and nest excavating. Bittern still booming.

81. Montagu's Harrier
82. Lesser Spotted Eagle
83. Osprey
84. Willow Warbler

Despite a decidedly cold spring, I am four ahead of where I was this time last year.

Last edited:
No more than we are for Swifts....having seen them both on the 17th...albeit several miles from home!

I won't see the first Swift until the first week of May in Nottingham but had a Swallow over yesterday, rare here as I'm on the edge of the City.

In Russia, Barn Swallows are called 'Village Swallows' with House Martins being 'Town Swallows'

A

Super raptor day, beginning with an Osprey flying over with an enormous fish fairly early on, then a purple patch in early afternoon with first a Lesser Spotted Eagle slowly drifting over, then a female Montagu's Harrier arriving to spend about half an hour in my meadow, rounded up by a White-tailed Eagle drifting to the south. Also, a steady passage of Marsh Harriers, a few Common Buzzards and one Sparrowhawk.

Perhaps even more notable, flying over whilst the Montagu's Harrier was quartering, a very nice flock of eight Great White Egrets heading south - second record this spring, but my seventh record ever for my land and the largest ever flock (just exceeding the seven on 4 May last year).

Also newly arrived Willow Warblers, a flock of about 20 Tree Pipits, one Hawfinch and, rather pleasing, two pairs of Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers actively establishing territory and nest excavating. Bittern still booming.

81. Montagu's Harrier
82. Lesser Spotted Eagle
83. Osprey
84. Willow Warbler

Despite a decidedly cold spring, I am four ahead of where I was this time last year.

Do you get Many Divers Jos?

My missus just had a lovely sum-plum Black-throated on a lake near home which is a state tick for us. Being so close to the City, most of he lakes around here are very busy with swimmers and fishermen in the summer so Divers don't hang around to breed.

Andy

Last edited:
Do you get Many Divers Jos?

My missus just had a lovely sum-plum Black-throated on a lake near home which is a state tick for us. Being so close to the City, most of he lakes around here are very busy with swimmers and fishermen in the summer so Divers don't hang around to breed.

In Lithuania, Black-throated Divers breed in very small numbers, the locations not far from my land.

On my land however, I always thought chances of one flying over were possible, but small ...but then on 16 April last year, I got a superb record of a flock of six Black-throated Divers flying over, followed minutes later by a flock of 17 birds, with a Red-throated Diver also with them!!!

In Lithuania, Black-throated Divers breed in very small numbers, the locations not far from my land.

On my land however, I always thought chances of one flying over were possible, but small ...but then on 16 April last year, I got a superb record of a flock of six Black-throated Divers flying over, followed minutes later by a flock of 17 birds, with a Red-throated Diver also with them!!!

That sounds lovely,
we've neen expecting to find them, they breed commonly not far away but being shy, they tend to be on the more remote lakes, away from people and in Russia these can be very hard to access if not impossible.

Butterflies again Jos, do you get Scarce Fritillary? I had one record last year. Having looked for it at a known site and failing 3 times, I found one on my local patch 300m from home!

Andy

I won't see the first Swift until the first week of May in Nottingham but had a Swallow over yesterday, rare here as I'm on the edge of the City.

In Russia, Barn Swallows are called 'Village Swallows' with House Martins being 'Town Swallows'

A

Same here in Bulgaria Andy - Selska lyantnavitsa for Swallow and gradska lyatnavitsa for House Martin.

Been out for a walk this morning and came back to a Lesser Whitethroat (no. 26) in next door's garden.

Chris

Started yesterday with a pair of No 43 American Black ducks flying over in search of open water on the now thawing lake. Lots of new year birds spotted while canoeing on the lake during the day, but none have made it to the garden yet.
Ten minutes at dusk with a cuppa on the back deck added No 44 Common Loon calling on the lake and No 45 Ruffed Grouse drumming in the woods. Both birds I usually see in/from the garden at some point during the year too.

The warblers are arriving, so the next couple of weeks should be fruitful. I was back in the UK for the main influx of warblers in mating-plumage last year, and I'm looking forward to some easier ID- than last autumn!

Good job I'm a calm type (and don't have much hair left to tear out anyway) as, following my earlier 'Was it a Feral or a Racing Pigeon" dilemna, on Thursday morning my vis-migging session in the garden turned sour when a distant pale male Harrier sp went north, at exactly the wrong height to see wing pattern. There have been lots of Montagu's Harriers passing through the area (at least, at lower altitudes not far away) so that's favourite, but it seemed very pale (in the bright sunlight) and there have been several Pallids seen this past two weeks in southern France too, so ANOTHER species escapes me. Maybe I should take up stamp-collecting (or buy Forsman's raptor id book ;)). I was moved to see a little group of five Blue Tits chugging north, I wonder just how far they still had to go to their final destination..............

on Thursday morning my vis-migging session in the garden turned sour when a distant pale male Harrier sp went north, at exactly the wrong height to see wing pattern. There have been lots of Montagu's Harriers passing through the area (at least, at lower altitudes not far away) so that's favourite, but it seemed very pale (in the bright sunlight) and there have been several Pallids seen this past two weeks in southern France too, so ANOTHER species escapes me. Maybe I should take up stamp-collecting (or buy Forsman's raptor id book ;)). .

No question Richard; go for the Forsmans.....stamps are just too boring.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back