• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Iguazu (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

I am planning to go to Iguazu in february or march but have a few questions:

Is it a good time for birding during these 2 months?
When is there less people at the falls?
Any birdwatching guide/company you recommend?
Hostels to recommend (or to avoid)?
I have a modest budget but being 46 years old, I don't necessarily want to live in a youth hostel :)

I speak French, English and a little Spanish.

Thank you!

Marie-Hélène

Hi everyone,

I am planning to go to Iguazu in february or march but have a few questions:

Is it a good time for birding during these 2 months?
When is there less people at the falls?
Any birdwatching guide/company you recommend?
Hostels to recommend (or to avoid)?
I have a modest budget but being 46 years old, I don't necessarily want to live in a youth hostel :)

I speak French, English and a little Spanish.

Thank you!

Marie-Hélène

I went out with Guy Cox (English expat who has lived in south america for many years) who guides in the area http://www.toucanbirding.com

If your budget stretches to it then pretty much the highlight of my six weeks in Argentina was a few days spent here: http://www.surucua.com/index.php/en/home They can arrange pick up from Iguazu I think. It is well worth the effort to get there. I was only there 2 days as my time was limited, in hindsight it deserves 5 days minimum.

In Iguazu itself I stayed one night in Marco Polo Suites, which was quiet, clean, well equiped, reasonable value but a bit far out of town so I din't explore so much as I might have otherwise.

Most bird I saw in parc provinciales Urugaui.
The easiest is sleeping in a tent and start in the morning.
But is also reachable by car from Karadya.
If You do not hire a car, ask the owner of Karadya for transport.

Independent birding is not too hard there either. The forest is reasonably open. I found a track into the main area of forest on the Argentine side of Iguazu, away from the masses of tourists and had some great birds. This was a while ago though so it may have changed.

I can definitely recommend a package with Karadya and/or Surucua if you want to maximise what you see/do in limited time - and to get advice on timing and practicalities. See their tour options.

Not sure about cheaper options other than liaison with a local guide like Guy Cox.

Not sure on timing as we were there in October - which was optimal for birds and weather. March will probably be quieter and cooler than February.

Hi Marie-Hélène,

If you don't mind staying outside the national park, there are plenty of cheap places in Puerto Iguazu itself. Getting to the park from town or anywhere along road nr 12 is easy by shuttle bus (expensive option) or the on local bus (cheap option and much more fun imo). I highly recommend you visit the Hummingbird Garden (Jardin de los Picaflores) on the corner of Belgrano & Fray Luis Beltran. Their feeders attract a range of hummers and you get fantastic up-close views.
Just outside Puerto Iguazu is an area of forest that's being developed (Selva Iryapu) with a variety of mid-range hotels opening up. It's between town, the river and the Hilton Resort/Golf course. As it's in the forest (sort of) you get some nice birding around the hotel itself, but the downside is you need a cab to get around.
In the NP itself your best bet is the Macuco trail. Relatively quiet and with good birding. The falls themselves are spectacular, definitely do the tourist loop and train to the edge of the falls. A day trip to the Brazilian side is recommended as well if you've got the time - the experience is way more 'theme park', but the different views you get of the falls are worth it.
Finally, I regrettably didn't have time for the Surucua or Karadya lodges, but have seen nothing but positive reviews - being outside the tourist zone they get a lot of birds you won't see around the falls themselves.

Have a great trip!
Joost

There isn't really a bad time to visit. Feb/March it will be warm, not too crowded, and the falls should be roaring - more water during the summer generally. More chance of rain as well. Between the falls and the chance of rain, choose clothes/shoes that will be comfortable when wet. As long as you avoid Easter you shouldn't have any crazy crowds. I recommend getting to the falls as early as you can in the morning - fewer people, more birds :)

Others have already covered Karadya and Surucua - I don't have experience with either so won't comment other than I believe Karadya is more affordable as a place to stay than Surucua? Guy Cox is a great guy and would be a good option if you're looking to go guided.

As far as where to stay in town - no particular recommendation but lots of options in Puerto Iguazu. If you find something affordable in the area mentioned above that is closer to the Hilton, east of Ruta 12, you'll have better birds around your hotel and if you leave your hotel on foot.

I agree with the recommendation for the Jardin de Picaflores, and the recommendation for the Macuco trail in PN Iguazu. As far as enjoying the falls themselves,there are three areas - a lower boardwalk, an upper boardwalk, and the Garganta del Diablo (accessed by train or walking). I like to do the lower two boardwalks in the morning, and the upper boardwalk is definitely better in terms of views. Then in the afternoon you can talk the train (or walk, good birding if you walk it) to the Garganta del Diablo, as you have better light most of the time this way. If you do two successive days in the park, the second day is 1/2 price, which is a nice way to take better advantage of the Macuco trail.

I am not certain the Brazilian side of the falls is really worth it, I greatly prefer the Argentine side, and the birding options are better on the Argentine side.

If you want to go completely independently/cheaper, you can visit the falls and the Macuco trail, bird around town a bit, but then you should think about renting a car and driving to Parque Provincial Urugua-i (free, camping only, bring a tent or sleep in your car), and also using your car to bird Ruta 101 through the park. Camping at Urugua-i also gives you an excellent chance of seeing Tapir at night. There is more great birding further away from Puerto Iguazu depending on how much time you have. The next "top" site with lots of different birds would be PP Cruce Caballero (a rental car might not get you all the way there but you can park at the entrance and walk the last km). Cruce Caballero is good for Vinaceous-breasted Parrot, Helmeted Woodpecker (with luck or help), Araucaria Tit-Spinetail, Antpittas, Owls, and lots more.

If you want more info on independently birding the area, feel free to ask, I spent almost 3 weeks camping and birding all over with a 4WD camper. Had a great time, saw all the specialties and tons more, I really love Misiones.

A side note, for the really motivated, the best forest in Misiones (and purportedly the largest intact tract of truly pristine old growth Atlantic Rainforest) is in a reserve called Papel Misionero, which is past Parque Provincial Caa-Yari some distance (South of San Pedro). Spectacular place and forest, but 4WD is mandatory and there are zero facilities there.

Suerte,
Josh

At PP Urugaui Tapir is also possible to see early in morning at sun comes up.
Sometimes also at day in the river. But I see them also when was small rain.

Cruce Caballero I made with Guy Cox, who lived not far away in San Pedro.
My opinion, 4 x 4 is needed in every case.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back