• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Weekend in Buenos Aires (1 Viewer)

simmojunior

Hi everyone,

I'll be working in Buenos Aires in just over a week's time. I have a weekend free so plan to go birding. I have just got back from 3 weeks birding in Thailand so do not want to spend too much (e.g. do not plan to use guides). I wondered if anyone had any suggestions about where I should go?

From reading online, I plan to spend one day at Costanera Sur so really after ideas for the other day. I could hire a car but this is not my preference.

Thanks,

Oli

Two days in Costanera Sur?

Otamendi is another good site. I had a vague plan to try and get there - it looked doable by public transport Zarate line - but in the few days I passed through BA as I moved around Argentina it just seemed so much easier to spend the day looking for new things at Costanera Sur!

Last edited:
I also considered Otamendi when I went in 2014, but also opted for double helpings of C Sur, which I didn't regret. I was told that if getting the train to Otamendi to take the precaution of keeping optics out of sight. Whatever you decide I hope you do well, and let us know how you got on.

Happy travels

James

Hi Oli,

You could easily spend 2 days in Costanera Sur - it's a big and diverse place with plenty of great birds. For a couple of different species (i.e. Rufous-sided Crake) you could consider hopping on the local commuter train to Acassuso. Walk down to the river to visit Ribera Norte which has riparian woodland and a viewing platform.
I've not visited Otamendi, but have heard the same safety warnings from local birders - maybe visit with a guide or local group?
Personally, with two days I would do the following: early start along the Laguna de Los Coipos (outside Costanera Sur, which only opens at 8 am). The northern half is best and has both Masked Duck and Lake Duck. Then spend most of the morning and early afternoon in the reserve proper. Next, pick up a rental car (plenty of places downtown) and drive north. Quick visits to Vicente Lopez and Ribera Norte (which closes 6 pm) should give you some additional species you won't get in CS. The traffic is a little crazy in downtown BA, but eases up once you get past the airport. From there, head out of the city to Zarate and then north to Ceibas in southern Entre Rios (easy motorway drive, about 2 hours). Stay at the Rio de las Aves lodge which caters for birders and has both comfy and cheap bunk accommodation (and great food!). Their private reserve has an impressive bird list and Ceibas is one of the best birding spots in the entire region. Do the lodge grounds in the morning (bring waterproof boots or wellies!) and you should have 80-odd species. After lunch do a slow drive around the 'Ceibas loop' for things you've missed, and you can be back in BA for a late dinner. I know you're not keen on getting a car, but in this case it's worth the bother!
The whole place is great for birds; I found 136 species in BA and Entre Rios, but if you're Noah Strycker you can get 146 on a single day in Ceibas ;) https://www.audubon.org/news/birding-without-borders-day-14

Have a great trip and let me know if you need any detailed info!
Joost

Unless you're particularly motivated to see the two Reedhaunters, I would agree with everyone else's recommendations to skip Otamendi. Otamendi is also hot, very dusty due to passing cars, and with little shade during the summer, in case you do go. Also take note that Costanera Sur is closed on Mondays.

As far as Rufous-sided Crake goes, you can see it at Costanera Sur nearly as easily as at Ribera Norte. The special bird at Ribera Norte is Curve-billed Reedhaunter. The special birds at Otamendi are the two Reedhaunters and Red-and-white Crake. In my opinion, the Vicente Lopez reserve is not worth the time taken to visit - Ribera Norte is better, Costanera Sur is much better.

If you do want to get out of the the city, the option of going to the Ceibas/Perdices area of Entre Rios with a rented car is a better choice than going to Otamendi in my opinion and will yield many more species. I actually don't know my way around the birding sites there very well so can't give specific guidance - most of my visits have been while I've been underway to/from Uruguay, Corrientes, or Misiones, and I've had bad luck with either high winds or really muddy roads so haven't explored as much as I'd like.

I don't know what your exact dates/plan are, and I'm busy this weekend, but if it is next weekend that you're in town let me know and I can probably join you for a long morning or day at Costanera Sur. During the week you can also visit the canal/lagoon in front of Costanera Sur in the early mornings and evenings and get a lot of species without even having to set foot in the reserve.

Cheers and freel free to ask any other BsAs questions!

Hi Oli,

You could easily spend 2 days in Costanera Sur - it's a big and diverse place with plenty of great birds. For a couple of different species (i.e. Rufous-sided Crake) you could consider hopping on the local commuter train to Acassuso. Walk down to the river to visit Ribera Norte which has riparian woodland and a viewing platform.
I've not visited Otamendi, but have heard the same safety warnings from local birders - maybe visit with a guide or local group?
Personally, with two days I would do the following: early start along the Laguna de Los Coipos (outside Costanera Sur, which only opens at 8 am). The northern half is best and has both Masked Duck and Lake Duck. Then spend most of the morning and early afternoon in the reserve proper. Next, pick up a rental car (plenty of places downtown) and drive north. Quick visits to Vicente Lopez and Ribera Norte (which closes 6 pm) should give you some additional species you won't get in CS. The traffic is a little crazy in downtown BA, but eases up once you get past the airport. From there, head out of the city to Zarate and then north to Ceibas in southern Entre Rios (easy motorway drive, about 2 hours). Stay at the Rio de las Aves lodge which caters for birders and has both comfy and cheap bunk accommodation (and great food!). Their private reserve has an impressive bird list and Ceibas is one of the best birding spots in the entire region. Do the lodge grounds in the morning (bring waterproof boots or wellies!) and you should have 80-odd species. After lunch do a slow drive around the 'Ceibas loop' for things you've missed, and you can be back in BA for a late dinner. I know you're not keen on getting a car, but in this case it's worth the bother!
The whole place is great for birds; I found 136 species in BA and Entre Rios, but if you're Noah Strycker you can get 146 on a single day in Ceibas ;) https://www.audubon.org/news/birding-without-borders-day-14

Have a great trip and let me know if you need any detailed info!
Joost

Thanks Joost! I emailed Rio De Las Aves but unfortunately they are shut. Think I'll stick to Costanera Sur unless I decide at the last minute to hire a car and go to Ceibas.

Unless you're particularly motivated to see the two Reedhaunters, I would agree with everyone else's recommendations to skip Otamendi. Otamendi is also hot, very dusty due to passing cars, and with little shade during the summer, in case you do go. Also take note that Costanera Sur is closed on Mondays.

As far as Rufous-sided Crake goes, you can see it at Costanera Sur nearly as easily as at Ribera Norte. The special bird at Ribera Norte is Curve-billed Reedhaunter. The special birds at Otamendi are the two Reedhaunters and Red-and-white Crake. In my opinion, the Vicente Lopez reserve is not worth the time taken to visit - Ribera Norte is better, Costanera Sur is much better.

If you do want to get out of the the city, the option of going to the Ceibas/Perdices area of Entre Rios with a rented car is a better choice than going to Otamendi in my opinion and will yield many more species. I actually don't know my way around the birding sites there very well so can't give specific guidance - most of my visits have been while I've been underway to/from Uruguay, Corrientes, or Misiones, and I've had bad luck with either high winds or really muddy roads so haven't explored as much as I'd like.

I don't know what your exact dates/plan are, and I'm busy this weekend, but if it is next weekend that you're in town let me know and I can probably join you for a long morning or day at Costanera Sur. During the week you can also visit the canal/lagoon in front of Costanera Sur in the early mornings and evenings and get a lot of species without even having to set foot in the reserve.

Cheers and freel free to ask any other BsAs questions!

Thanks Josh very helpful. The weekend is 12th and 13th January so do let me know if you're free for some birding. I've seen Rufous-sided Crake in North Peru so not that bothered about that but other things are targets.

I may end up having to spend one day doing touristy things with my colleague in the city but it should be flexible which one.

In terms of field guide, all I've got is Van Perlo's Brazil. Am I right in thinking that should be sufficient?

As far as Rufous-sided Crake goes, you can see it at Costanera Sur nearly as easily as at Ribera Norte. The special bird at Ribera Norte is Curve-billed Reedhaunter. The special birds at Otamendi are the two Reedhaunters and Red-and-white Crake. In my opinion, the Vicente Lopez reserve is not worth the time taken to visit - Ribera Norte is better, Costanera Sur is much better!

Hi Josh,

What are the water levels like at CS? When I visited it was very dry and not really crake habitat. I liked the small northern reserves, esp Ribera Norte - dipped the Reedhaunter but did glimpse a Dot-winged Crake (censored on eBird of course :)). Costanera Sur is an amazing place for sure, I was still finding new birds there on my fifth visit of the week (male Diademed Tanager, vagrant Euler's Flycatcher - chuffed!).

Cheers,
Joost

Thanks Joost! I emailed Rio De Las Aves but unfortunately they are shut. Think I'll stick to Costanera Sur unless I decide at the last minute to hire a car and go to Ceibas.

That's a bummer, but Costanera Sur for a day or two is no hardship! Have a great trip :t:

Thanks Josh very helpful. The weekend is 12th and 13th January so do let me know if you're free for some birding. I've seen Rufous-sided Crake in North Peru so not that bothered about that but other things are targets.

I may end up having to spend one day doing touristy things with my colleague in the city but it should be flexible which one.

In terms of field guide, all I've got is Van Perlo's Brazil. Am I right in thinking that should be sufficient?

I should be around and thus far don't have any plans - we can keep in touch via PM for that.

Van Perlo's Brazil isn't a great guide but it's not the end of the world. For the most part there aren't many ID challenges around here. The Argentina guide is also not great, and can be kind of hard to find / expensive. The eBird list of expected species for Costanera Sur is a good reference:

https://ebird.org/argentina/barchart?byr=2000&eyr=2019&bmo=1&emo=12&r=L472208

Hi Josh,

What are the water levels like at CS? When I visited it was very dry and not really crake habitat. I liked the small northern reserves, esp Ribera Norte - dipped the Reedhaunter but did glimpse a Dot-winged Crake (censored on eBird of course :)). Costanera Sur is an amazing place for sure, I was still finding new birds there on my fifth visit of the week (male Diademed Tanager, vagrant Euler's Flycatcher - chuffed!).

Cheers,
Joost

I've not been in about a month as I was travelling but it should still be quite good, it usually doesn't dry up until late summer/autumn. Dot-winged Crake at Ribera Norte is a good tick! I've only seen it and heard it at Punta Rasa, though I also think it has to be in a lot of other sites closer to the city, just under-reported or sites that are harder to access. There are the odd reports from the local reserves though I don't think it's resident as it's really a salt-marsh bird from what I understand. Rails are good at wandering as well, of course.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back