• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Does Rock Partridge occur in upland Turkey? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Ok I have managed to find some literature saying it does occur in the extreme west, but I wondered if it occurs in mountainous habitat above Side/Oymapinar Reservoir, which are east of Antalya.

Of course you need to i/d the bird in question to separate it from the very-similar and widespread Chukar, and I didn't do that, but just curious really as the bird I saw a few years back was in ideal Rock Partridge habitat, high in the rocky mountains above the reservoir.

Chukars themselves can occur in mountainous districts I believe.

Ok I have managed to find some literature saying it does occur in the extreme west, but I wondered if it occurs in mountainous habitat above Side/Oymapinar Reservoir, which are east of Antalya.

Of course you need to i/d the bird in question to separate it from the very-similar and widespread Chukar, and I didn't do that, but just curious really as the bird I saw a few years back was in ideal Rock Partridge habitat, high in the rocky mountains above the reservoir.

Chukars themselves can occur in mountainous districts I believe.

Absolutely yes to the last part, can't help with the first question though.

I think there has been in the past (and probably still is) some taxonomic confusion as to the species limits of Rock Partridge and Chukar. As far as I'm aware though Rock Partridge (as currently recognised) doesn't occur (at least naturally) in Turkey. Interested to hear what others have to say on that though.

And as Jos says, you'll get Chukar way way up on rocky mountains.

I did think as much, thx both.

They do occur in Turkey but not as far eastward as the area I was asking about- as far as I know.
Wonder if they hybridise?

Hi, just found this thread and wanted to clear an apparent misconception - Rock Partridge does not occur in Turkey, at all.
Thank you, apologies for the misinformation in my post.
Someone told me it did, but it appears only as far as neighbouring Bulgaria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back