• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Conquest HD 8x32 v old Trinovod or SLC? (1 Viewer)

Whahaha that's pure gold. Amazed nothing cracked under that truck. Would've like to have seen it dropped that many times on concrete though ;)

Nah, both Trin bn and Conquest I can get for good prices now. Would be mainly as travel bins so size and weight are important. Leica has the head on that although Zeiss might offer somewhat better optics. For close focus I'm gonna get a Papilio or Zeiss mono next year so close focus is not much of an issue. That combo would then replace my kowa 6.5x32. Though totally not sure about this all yet...

Lee, post 20,
You know that in science an experiment is only valid if it is repeated at least tree times with the same result. Did you repeat it already?
Gijs van Ginkel

Never seen these experiments performed with the eyepiece twisted out into viewing position and therefore unprotected by the chassis.
I'm guessing they are the weak point of any roof binocular

The Conquest HD is a better binocular, is very well made, and will have a 5 year no fault + limites lifetime warranty (whereas the Leica will not have any warranty if I understand their policy). If size and weight are a big concern I'd consider the 8x25 Victory Pocket as I thought it was optically superior to the Conquest HD, which is again optically superior to the Leica Trinovid series.

Justin

I recently bought a pair of Conquest HD 10x32 to try out as I'm exploring this format. I ended up returning it but not because of the optics, and definitely not because of any lack of ruggedness.

I would second those who disputed your initial assumption of them not being very rugged; on the contrary, I think it's quite the opposite, and I would consider the Conquest HD among the most rugged options you could find in that price class. The eyecups are rock solid when they lock into intermediate positions. They also excel in brightness, sharpness, extreme close focus, and very wide FOV.

I had them at the same time as Kowa Genesis 10x32 and Nikon EDG 10x32, and while my personal ranking put the Conquest 3rd in that group, I thought to myself multiple times that the Conquest would be the one I would choose if I needed something no-nonsense and rugged for hard field use or travel. Not only is it the cheapest (used), it feels bomb-proof and solid like a little brick, very reminiscent in that sense of the classic 32mm BA/BN Leicas. They also are the "ugliest", just a simple black "utilitarian" look, like they are "all business", and you can toss them on the floor of your car or in the trunk or in a backpack and use them hard for a decade and they might look kind of nasty but the optics and mechanics will still be perfect. And the combination of outstanding sharpness for long-range + best in class close focus + very fast focus knob means they are a great "all arounder" when you can only have one binocular that you want to use for anything.

The only issue with them for a dedicated travel bin is they are a bit chunky and heavy for a 32. But not sure if "as small as possible" is the top priority for you.... if it is, I would keep my eye out for a used Ultravid HD which is superb optically, very rugged, and noticeably smaller and lighter than most good 32s.

How is the eyecup design of the Trinovid BN? I read they are somewhat small, should I think towards the Meostar's 8x32? Those failed on my face because of that.
The BN eyecups are very solid, and never struck me as small. I don't have ours (which we still love) handy at the moment but think the eyecups are about the same size as this UV's, which measure ~35mm. They are however either up or down, no intermediate stops as on the UV.

Take a look at the ultravid 8x32's too. I much preferred these to the ziess 8x32 fl's, though not as bright gave a better overall view, more contrast and to my eyes a richer warmer image. From what I have read these have the same glass as the trinovid BN's but in a lighter, more compact body.

Perry

Ultravid 8x32 and Victory FL 8x32 are both excellent if slightly different.
I found the Conquest to have good optics but bad ergonomics : a sticky focus wheel with play in it, objective covers that don’t quite fit, Rai guard that sticks and cannot be removed quickly, and heavy. I do not like them very much.

Everyone has different opinions on these it seems. I have what I think are excellent examples of both the HDs and the BNs. I like them both very much, but to me the HDs are a full step up in resolution and contrast - they simply feel like 15 years more modern, which they are. The view on the BN is more constrained and old skool, but you really only notice if you compare them. I just love the BNs so much however as a beautiful, lovely piece of gear - all that Leica wonderfulness is really special. They are what my wife grabs every time, which tells me something. I do treat the Leicas a bit more carefully, and I am far too hard on the Conquest HDs, and they just keep trucking - they are truly a classic, high value binocular - arguably the best value all round bin out there, as long as the blackouts don't affect your view (varies it seems, for me no issues with two clicks).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back