• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon published a new 10x25 image stablized bino (1 Viewer)

https://www.nikon-image.com/products/sportoptics/stabilized_binoculars/10x25_stabilized/

It's light, compact and stylish.
But the lack of ed glass seems to indicate the optic is mediocre.
And it does not mention the degree of its IS system(only 80% less vibration), which may mean the IS system is also mediocre.
But it looks nice and easy to carry, these features are not commonly associated with IS bino, are they?

Thanks for the heads-up. Indeed it looks nice but the price seems to be more than 700$ (for example at Yodobashi camera), which is a bit expensive for a compact. You can buy a Canon 12x36 IS3 for the same price.

https://www.nikon-image.com/products/sportoptics/stabilized_binoculars/10x25_stabilized/

It's light, compact and stylish.
But the lack of ed glass seems to indicate the optic is mediocre.
And it does not mention the degree of its IS system(only 80% less vibration), which may mean the IS system is also mediocre.
But it looks nice and easy to carry, these features are not commonly associated with IS bino, are they?

Well, Nikon offers an inexpensive Trailblazer 10x25, so perhaps that was ginned up with an IS system.
It looks compact and lightweight, so if it is reasonably effective at filtering out the jitters, it should sell very well. Certainly us Canon 10x42ISL packmules would be grateful for something smaller and lighter, as long as it is half way decent.

I think these new Nikon 10x25 IS compacts are very nice and are probably a 10x25 LX with IS. The Nikon 10x25 LX doesn't have ED glass either but it is still an excellent 10x25 compact with very sharp edges using field flatteners. I think these will be some competition for the Zeiss Victory 10x25 because their FOV is only slightly smaller, and they are only a few ounces heavier, and they fold up smaller with the double hinge, and they have the big advantage of IS which will be really beneficial especially on a compact binocular that is little harder to hold steady anyway. You could easily use these one handed with the big focuser and the IS would help stabilize them from shaking. The CR2 lithium battery in the center hinge is nice also because it is lighter and smaller than the AA batteries that a lot of the Canons use. You can't really compare them with a Canon 12x36 IS3 which is way bigger and heavier. If they give you an 80% reduction in shaking that is a lot. I will take one in blue.

Last edited:
Wow, those look interesting. One thing that puts me off from IS devices is that they're usually really long and bulky, usually reverse Porro binoculars, but these look unlike anything I've seen (I'm not aware of other IS binoculars that "don't look like IS binoculars", but then, I've never really been curious about them). 410 g is pretty hefty for a x25, but then, a stabilized 10x in foldable format can really offer something desirable to part of the audience that would never consider something like a IS Canon or Fujinon, for example.

Last edited:
These look promising. I had considered the Canon 10x25 but I wasn't convinced they were quite compact enough. These Nikons seem like they will pack down nicely. My only concern is the relatively low FOV combined with short eye relief.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back