• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

APM Telescopes Release Of The APM MS 6x30 Porro Prism Binocular (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I thought this might be of interest to some here who prefer using a moderately priced low power binocular for both Wildlife and Astronomy viewing. These first caught my interest back in 2018 when reading a discussion in the Cloudy Nights Forum about APM Telescopes developing a New line of Magnesium Porro Binoculars. I see now they finally got out all the bugs and will be able to be shipped later on this month. These can be pre-ordered now from Lunt Solar Systems or APM direct. I could not resist so I pre-ordered a pair. Price is $195 at Lunt Solar Systems. From the one review I have read , had favorable remarks.
Some of the spec’s : BAK4 Glass, Center Focus, IPD 57-72, FOV 9.3, Weight With Eyepiece Covers/Objective Caps ...591g, waterproof, Eye Relief 18.5 which might have been improved since their original prototype. They are being sourced from China (Kunming United Optic).

Last edited:
These new 6x30 APM are one of three I am currently considering purchasing. Very steady views I imagine, very pleasant to hold, light to carry, and cheap as chips. I wonder if the first batch has arrived in Germany?
How are you finding the prototype in use Canip? Compared to the Nikon 8x30 E11 for example?

Cheers
Andy

P.S.
Incidentally, one of the other two I fancy on paper is the Leica UV+ 8x50 ... about which I can find very little comment anywhere, except your ratings Canip, in your collection outlined on Binoculars Today.

I thought this might be of interest to some here who prefer using a moderately priced low power binocular for both Wildlife and Astronomy viewing. These first caught my interest back in 2018 when reading a discussion in the Cloudy Nights Forum about APM Telescopes developing a New line of Magnesium Porro Binoculars. I see now they finally got out all the bugs and will be able to be shipped later on this month. These can be pre-ordered now from Lunt Solar Systems or APM direct. I could not resist so I pre-ordered a pair. Price is $195 at Lunt Solar Systems. From the one review I have read , had favorable remarks.
Some of the spec’s : BAK4 Glass, Center Focus, IPD 57-72, FOV 9.3, Weight With Eyepiece Covers/Objective Caps ...591g, waterproof, Eye Relief 18.5 which might have been improved since their original prototype. They are being sourced from China (Kunming United Optic).
It’s been almost a year now since these caught my interest and out of curiosity pre-ordered these. Gave it a few months then cancelled my order. Recently on the Astromart site APM advertised these are really finally going to be shipped, really soon … in a week ? Just put another pair on order from Lunt Solar Systems. They started out at $199, now almost a year later it’s going to cost me $246 shipped if APM can deliver ? I do not need them and if I actually get a pair shipped to me I probably will not keep them but that darn ... CURIOSITY keeps on coming back.

Last edited:
It’s been almost a year now since these caught my interest and out of curiosity pre-ordered these. Gave it a few months then cancelled my order. Recently on the Astromart site APM advertised these are really finally going to be shipped, really soon … in a week ? Just put another pair on order from Lunt Solar Systems. They started out at $199, now almost a year later it’s going to cost me $246 shipped if APM can deliver ? I do not need them and if I actually get a pair shipped to me I probably will not keep them but that darn ... CURIOSITY keeps on coming back.
Well it’s now been 3 weeks since I preordered these again ! Again APM promised in a week they will be here ? Still no sign of shipping …only so much can be blamed on the Pandemic. Almost 3 years now since the first APM news statement announcing that these would be available for purchase. Still waiting patiently but not much longer.

Have they contacted you or given a reason as to why there is a delay? Maybe you're on LSS naughty list.

Have they contacted you or given a reason as to why there is a delay? Maybe you're on LSS naughty list.
Naughty or Nice, it’s been 3 years since APM has been talking these up. When I first read the discussion about APM designing/developing a new 6x30 porro on the CloudyNights web site almost three years ago I personally did not give them much thought as to a possible purchase. It was later after me purchasing and using a few of APM’s astro eyepieces which brought me back to rereading the discussion discussed there on CloudyNights. I had liked their eyepieces so much and given that their price point was really very reasonable, producing what I thought to be very high quality eyepieces … I thought maybe this Porro prism binocular they were introducing would also be of high quality, at what seems to me to be reasonably priced for what their spec sheet describes. APM has given numerous reasons for not having them to ship to possible customers. From the Pandemic, to supply problems and to manufacturing issues. These are all reasonable reasons …
but 3 years ?

I have heard this before. I have been waiting for over a year ….
I’ve read the threads and it’s been quite a saga. I’m happy to have found out about these last week from this thread here, rather than experiencing three long years of anticipation had I known. My fingers are crossed!

Today is Friday 24, that Friday!
Any news?
I have not heard any news yet …. like I said , I have seen that ship date in print many times over these last 3 years. It’s coming up on 4 weeks this Monday for me since I preordered a second time. I will give it a few more weeks, then cancel my preorder at Lunt Solar Systems for the last time.

I noticed there is only one piece in stock in the APM store: maybe the sample, or the last one from the first batch?
If it is truly the finished product now being offered, it must be the only one in the known Binocular Universe. These last 3 years I have yet to see any dealer actively selling in house stock, with any actually being shipped. I have only read one prototype review and that came out before APM made an announcement they had more refinement changes to be made before the final product was to be available to the public.

I only see a few members here who said they have preordered. I wonder how many actually have ? Maybe the real issue is ….. APM is not getting the demand in orders they had anticipated, having to wait for enough orders to make their profit numbers. Either way my lips have turned blue waiting.

The binoculars are now available for immediate delivery on the APM and Astroshop websites.
This morning I received an email from M.Ludes informing me of availability and inviting me to place the order.
The truth, however, is that now I no longer know if I want to buy it or not ...

The binoculars are now available for immediate delivery on the APM and Astroshop websites.
This morning I received an email from M.Ludes informing me of availability and inviting me to place the order.
The truth, however, is that now I no longer know if I want to buy it or not ...
For what its worth, I just placed 2 pairs in the APM order box to see ….. rejected, not enough in stock message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back