• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Red Kites in Oxon & ideas for W. Sussex (1 Viewer)

Karl J

*** Firstly apologies to anyone who read this thread under its previous title - I deleted that & re-posted with what I consider a better heading. The content is the same though ...........

As I'm planning on attending the BF members meeting at Pagham on October 26, I reckon it'd make for a good weekend - from Friday morning to Sunday. So I'm looking for a few ideas.

Firstly, Red Kite ??? . Looking at the route down on Friday, it can't be too far from from kite country. Where would be good ? Other posts suggest the Oxford area and a vantage point near Radnage - does this still hold true for late Oct ?? Or are there any better places or reserves etc for a couple of hours with kite as the main objective ? A bit of a detour isn't a problem as I'll have a car that weekend.

Secondly, as I'm stopping in the Bognor-ish area Friday, where would be a good day out Saturday ? Again I'll have a car to get about.

Bound to be something else I've not thought of as well ???

Carlos,

As a Bongor Regis resident (Bognorian?), two sites spring to mind in and around the Bognor area.
Chichester Gravel Pits will give good duck numbers whilst Selsey Bill for seawatching should definitely be given a go.

I nearly forgot my favourite place. Kingley Vale is a hidden Yew forest gem to the north of Chichester.

See you at Pagham Harbour for the BF Meet.

Rob Hope

_________

Egrets, I've had a few

Cheers Rob, yes I'm looking forward to it.

The local knowledge is appreciated - 3 sites there that sound worthy of a look, particularly Kingley Vale. Looks like it has some interesting archeology as well - that'd be a real bonus.

I see there's Langstone Harbour in my RSPB book, is that worth a look in ?

And a good place for Red Kite, somewhere between Norfolk & Pagham, anyone ?

Well, I failed myself, Carlos, but our Oxon. friends tell us that the hills immediately to the south of Princes Risborough are a good place to see Red Kites.

Hi Carlos, I've no first-hand experience,but did save this information from a previous posting that may be of help.

Can't vouch for it as I haven't been that way to check it out for myself as yet and apologies for not crediting the author,whose name I forget.

"A 15 minute diversion from your motorway journey will give you close views as follows:

If you leave the M40 at junction 5 and follow the minor road (off the A40 north of Stokenchurch) south West towards Christmas Common stopping at Cowleaze Wood (it has a car park) you can view red Kites from the north eastern point of the woods (while resting on a fallen oak) overlooking the valley beyond. Follow the public footpath through the wood and stop where the wood ends and the fields begin.

The red Kites will arrive shortly. While you're there you may spot Fallow deer and Red Deer in the valley below.

My second view of a Red Kite was from a hotel window in Thame after a long day at a conference."

Have a good trip.

Carlos: I can confirm what grousemore says. This is Aston Rowant nature reserve.

We use to travel to Oxford twice a term when my son was at Oxford. We would often stop exactly as described to view the kites. In fact you will more often than not see them from the motorway.

If on the minor road to Christmas Common you take a right turn about half a mile after leaving the A40 you come (after about half mile) to a car park on the north side of the motorway. From ther you can walk on the escarpment above the M40. There are often kites flying here too.

The area around Princes Risborough is a fantastic place to see Red Kites, they're pretty much guaranteed if you travel along the M40 in that area, I was there a couple of weeks ago. (My partner had an interview in Monks Risborough and I went along for the ride - I'm glad I did!). We saw six Kites in the space of 3 minutes on the M40 near High Wycombe.

I would have thought it was a little out of your way but when I go for Red Kite in the Chilterns I always go here, Bix not far from Henley and a simular area as Grousemore and others have mentioned near Christmas common.

I have usually seen them before getting out of the car but have often seen up to 8 birds in the sky at once along with a few buzzards and sometimes on the ground feeding or in trees. It's well worth a look if it's not to far out of your way.

Langstone Harbour, Farlington Marshes, Hayling island area is excellent for birds but similar to Pagham Harbour I guess, it depends how much time you have to explore these areas.

See you on the 26th :t:

Rich

Cheers folks - excellent !

Just been putting a few rings on the road map, as I'm leaving Yarmouth about 9ish on Friday and won;t need to be at the b+b til evening there should be plenty of time to look about & have a couple of extended rest stops. I'll settle for that !!

Thanks - see you on the 26th

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back