• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Yellowlegs vs Lesser Yellowlegs (1 Viewer)

Dave S

Corporate Lacky
The only book I have with info on these shows two very similar pictures, yet cites that the main distinguishing feature other than size is the lenght of the bill. Unfortunately, the photo present of the greater and lesser both have similar length bills (porportionally).

Any clues as to which one this is?:

Attachments

• 2004-04-16-04-1500-12-800.jpg
    2004-04-16-04-1500-12-800.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 401
Looks like flavipes to me. A little hard to judge because the head is turned away and down. To eyeball this one I usually cut an immaginary line from where the forehead ends vertically on top of the bill insertion down through the chin (and so it includes the cone of the bill insertion along with the bill). Then I measure the head onto what I have cut off. The flavipes bill is about 1.25 - 1.40 X the head, anything more (usually much more because the bill is noticeably longer on melanoleuca ,about 1.65 to 1.8 X the head) is the Greater YL.

Last edited:
Hard call, but I think I'll go the other way, for T. melanoleuca - note the stout bill, with a hint of a paler base, and the fairly extensive barring on the flanks. Overall, it has the look of quite a bulky bird too, in European terms comparable to a Greenshank (same size as Greater Y'legs), not slim like a Marsh Sandpiper (same size as Lesser Y'legs). And a short primary extension, too, tho' that may not be too useful.

Michael

I'm for Greater. As mentioned by Michael, note extent of the fairly heavy barring (almost stripes) on flanks. Bill is hard to call, but seems fairly heavy compared to the Lesser I have seen. This fits better with the Greater that I saw regualarly in SA, often in companionship with Lesser. Finally, dark streaks often appear much denser on the neck of Lesser. Hence, Lesser often appear to have a neck that is darker than Greater's.

Last edited:
I admit I'm lazy on differentiating these two and rely too much on the bill length and on this one it's not a good profile. I will have to take your indications and try to learn them as well as bill length is not enough. Will study it from my database later tonight.

Greater Yellowlegs for me. This bird just appears too bulky as previously mentioned not to mention the strength of the bill. Lesser yellowlegs is a much slighter bird and I think the barring on the flanks clinch it.

Another vote for greater.... as evr with me a gut reaction based on jizz... this looks a big bird and has a hint of Greenshank to it.

Having only seen both yellowlegs on drawings and photographs but not in life I got the impression that there is some similarity to Greenshank in Greater YL and some similarity to Marsh Sandpiper in Lesser YL. Therefore I would also go for Greater Yellowlegs here.

I also feel that the photo of the bird is a Greater Yellowlegs for the reasons sited above. I live on a major migratory flyway and see hundreds of Lesser and Greater Yellowlegs each year.

As a couple of people have pointed out the flank barring is an easy shortcut on breeding birds like this - obvious in Greater, none or virtually none in Lesser.

Dave

Greater

having been lucky and seen lots of both in the field in recent years I've noticed many more Lessers mistaken for Greaters than vice versa. In pix it's still tricky though for non breeders, but in real life I've found Greaters to stand out fairly well. If you're not sure in the field it's probably a Lesser.

Lessers can show quite a bit of barring on the flanks.....

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back