• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Target species in Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania (1 Viewer)

Trystan

I'm considering visiting the Baltic states next year, renting a car and covering all 3 countries.

My top targets would be Steller's eider, Hazel grouse, Tengmalm's and Pygmy owls and Great snipe, probably in that order.

My question is, is it feasible to get all of these species in one visit during the winter months, late February being preferred?

Thanks in advance.

Steller's Eider is quite possible at Undva on Saaremaa. Great Snipe is basically impossible. I don't think they'll be there until late April. The others are possible but will probably require a bit of luck and/ or help from guides.

Thanks Andrew,

I'm hoping to find someone who can help with the best locations, perhaps even use a guide for a day. If I was to move the trip to late April to try for the snipe I imagine that Steller's eider would then be gone?

Cheers

If I was to move the trip to late April to try for the snipe I imagine that Steller's eider would then be gone?

Yes :)

The best location for Steller's Eider is very simple to find, a guide is not needed - put Undva into google maps and you will see it is a peninsula. The best spot is the very northern tip or in the small bay immediately west. Numbers vary, and have been moderately low in some recent winters, but they are usually not difficult to find.

Last edited:
Yes :)

The best location for Steller's Eider is very simple to find, a guide is not needed - put Undva into google maps and you will see it is a peninsula. The best spot is the very northern tip or in the small bay immediately east. Numbers vary, and have been moderately low in some recent winters, but they are usually not diffcult to find.

You mean Tagalaht, doesn't look that small, there' a smaller bay to the West?

I need Steller's, thought this would be a nice, easy weekend from the UK when we go home but I assume there's a ferry journey required?

Last edited:
Tengmalm’s is mega rare in Estonia, not sure about the other countries. A trip in March could get eider, pygmy owl and hazel grouse I guess.
May could get snipe and PO and HG will still be there but more difficult.
Kaarel vohandu who is a BF member can do day guiding.
Cheers
James

You mean Tagalaht, doesn't look that small, there' a smaller bay to the West?

I need Steller's, thought this would be a nice, easy weekend from the UK when we go home but I assume there's a ferry journey required?

Yep, meant west - the small bay immediately west of Undva point (ie between Undva and Vilsandi). In my experience, the tip of Undva tends to be most reliable, but if in this small bay, they are often near the beach.

Tengmalm’s is mega rare in Estonia, not sure about the other countries.

I would not call them very common in Lithuania either, though 'relatively' easier in early spring when calling ...if you know localities. You would need a massive dose of good luck to just stumble upon one - to the best of my knowledge, they don't hang out in toilets here either.

Is Hazel Grouse easy in Estonia ?
This year I had 4 Hazel Grouse in Bavaria. But in some years I have no Hazel Grouse.
Middle of March is possible to hear the whistle, if you know where they expect in the mountains.
Hazel Grouse is more difficult to find then Black Grouse and Capercaille.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back