• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What's with all the feathers? (1 Viewer)

suzka50

This morning,when I went to fill my feeders, I noticed a bunch of feathers under a pine tree. It looks like something may have killed a bird, but there is no evidence, just feathers. Later I noticed the same scene under another pine tree about 20 feet away. I live in northern NJ in a pretty wooded area and I am wondering if anyone can shed some light as to what might have happened? As long as I"ve been feeding wild birds (about 26 years) I have never seen anything like this! I presume it is from mourning doves, as they usually roost in the pines around my house.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi again suzka.

As you'd already said Hello, I've moved this post to the Information Wanted forum, which would be better suited to your question, I think.

So that you can find it easily, I've also subscribed you to the thread. You'll be notified of any replies. It's easy to unsubscribe whenever you want.

Sounds as though a Bird of Prey snatched the bird and moved on with it to finish stripping it before eating it or carrying it away.

Sounds like the remains of a hawk kill, Sharp-shinned or Cooper’s perhaps. In a common scenari, the kill is made on or near the ground where it’s partly or wholly plucked before being carried off into a tree or other high perch and eaten.

Edit:
Oops, see that KC’s beaten me to the punch on this one. . ..

Last edited:
Try looking for any stray animal in the area, that is feeding on these birds. This could be the work of a cat or any other wild animal. Also, check for the presence of any predatory bird in the woods.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back