• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Korea - May (1 Viewer)

Kibet

I will be flying out next week, stopping in South Korea on way to a meeting in Japan, before returning to South Korea for just over a week of birding until the end of May(cheaper to do four flights rather than three). On landing, I will head to the lagoon next to Incheon Airport.

I already have got some great information from Birding Corea facebook group, and was looking to see if anyone else has any other nice sites. With it being good for migrants, I have been suggested to head to one of the Islands (Deokjeokdo due to proximity and amenities) and will likely set myself there for 2-3 days, possibly more.

To help with suggestions, it would be handy around Seoul and walking/public transport. I am a relaxed birder, and happy watching as well as photographs ("Don't try to take good pictures and feel bad, I take bad pictures but feel good" is my mantra), and will be taking Bins, Scope and Camera. I am not after any specific targets, or even particular groups, so just all round good experience.

Thank you in advance.

Kibet

If you're going to be in the Seoul area for a while, pick up a T-Money card at any of the major subway stations in Seoul. It's good for the Subway, Commuter Rail, and buses in Seoul, Incheon, and Gyeongi-Do.

My favorite place to bird near Seoul in the spring is Namhansanseong fortress. Take the #8 subway line to Sanseong Station, then the #9 bus to the end of the line.

The National Arboretum in Gangneung Forest (outside Uijeongbu) can be good. You have to make a reservation, but your hotel can probably help with that. Take the #1 line to Uijeongbu Station, then either a taxi (for about W15,000) or the #22 bus.

Since you'll have a scope, Dongmak Lagoon in Incheon can be good for waders as well as nearby Wolgot Inlet. The Lagoon is right across the street from Dongmak Station on the Incheon #1 line. There's also nesting Black-faced Spoonbills.

I also like Gwangyosan north of Suwon, but from Seoul it can be a trick to reach. Take the Seoul #1 line to Suwon station then the #13 bus to the end of the line.

One warning: Koreans are avid hikers. If you go to many of these places on a weekend, there will be crowds, so get there as early as possible.

I can also recommend a good local guide if you want to go that route. He can get you to places where the public transport doesn't go.

You can also check out eBird. There are few birders (mostly ex-pats) who use it regularly.

Thank you Jeff for all of the suggestions.

I have seen some of these mentioned, and so it is good to get some personal experience, including the transport.

It would be useful to know a recommended guide. If not for this trip, then for the future.

I normally use eBird a fair amount, which really helped with my US trips. Often I search by months and get inundated with grey blobs of no reports on hotspots for that month. It is funny for countries not using eBird, either is almost empty in hotspots or has so many with so little data.

Thank you again

Kibet

Hi Jeff, just to say that I did Dongmak and there was about 90 adults of the black faced spoonbills. Some were still on nests, and others were attending to their chicks.

I was rained out on namhansanseong today, only getting some common birds before having to be beaten by weather.

Gwangneung arboretum did give me Daurian redstart and grey backed thrush, in the first 45 minutes. Then it was a day that gave little else unfortunately.

Deokjeok island was fantastic, and especially the second day was very intense with bird variety. As they were on the top of trees, in the middle and on the ground, I am sure I missed some with only having one pair of eyes.

Hi Kibet,

Glad to know you're enjoying Korea! Shame you got rained out at Namhansanseong, tho.

My usual go-to local guide for travel beyond the reach of public transport in the Seoul area is ByoungWoo Lee. His webpage is www.birdingkorea.com. His English is fairly good, and knows where to find some unique specialties in the Seoul area (think Black Woodpecker!)

Nial Moores is the recommended guide in the Busan area and does a lot of the guiding for the International tour companies. I've never used him, since my business usually takes me to Seoul and not Busan, but he's very good.

Best,

JH

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back