• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TSN 773 - any experience? (1 Viewer)

Singlereed

Hello, I'm looking at options for a scope. I had a look at an 883 in a shop that had a fairly limited range of products on offer and I liked it very much although I was only able to compare it to a couple of lower and mid range options. Possibly, I will buy one but it is more than I really wanted to spend, especially once I've added digiscoping equipment for my m43 camera and a tripod.

So, one option that would save me £500 and half a lb in weight is the 773. Has anyone tried one? I understand it will have a bit less light gathering ability than an 88mm but otherwise I think the spec is similar with the same options for digiscoping with a camera.

I'm not going to be sitting all day looking through it but one thing I liked with the 883 compared to cheaper options was the nice bright picture in the eyepiece which was easy and relaxing to look at - even at higher magnifications. I felt the cheaper scopes I looked through were just too hard to use and would have frustrated me as I was squinting and searching to get a decent image - although there was nothing wrong with the images once I got there.

I did a forum search and could find no mention of the 773. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hello, I'm looking at options for a scope. I had a look at an 883 in a shop that had a fairly limited range and I liked it very much although I was only able to compare it to a couple of lower and mid range options. Possibly, I will buy one but it is more than I really wanted to spend, especially once I've added digiscoping equipment for my m43 camera and a tripod.

So, one option that would save me £500 and half a lb in weight is the 773. Has anyone tried one? I understand it will have a bit less light gathering ability than an 88mm but otherwise I think the spec is similar with the same options for digiscoping with a camera.

I'm not going to be sitting all day with it but one thing I liked with the 883 compared to cheaper options was the nice bright picture in the eyepiece which was easy and relaxing to look - even at higher magnifications. I felt the cheaper scopes I looked through were just too hard to use and would have frustrated me.

I did a forum search and could find no mention of the 773. Thanks in advance.

I tried a 773 and ended up returning it for an 883. I think one of the main advantages of higher end scopes is the quality of the view at higher magnifications. And I didn't think I was getting that to the same extent with the 773. The 883 is more expensive, but I figured I was going to be using the scope for 20 years or more, and if you spread out the cost over that amount of time, it's not so much. And if you get a lightweight tripod and head, I find the weight of the 883 quite reasonable.

500 pounds is a good amount of money, but for a lifetime purchase, and being already decided to make a serious purchase, I think you should go for the one you want, if it's reasonably sensible as a budget option.
Then you have a number of models that are definitely as good or better than the 773 in the same price range. The Nikon Monarch 82 for instance and the Meopta S2 HD are scopes that have been reviewed as being as good as any with a great value....The other option is the used market.. If you are ready to purchase, a used 883 will cost you probably the same or less than a new 773... Try placing an add in the wanted section of the forum classifieds for a high end scope, you might get a great deal from a forum member

Last edited:
I concur with post #2, pay the extra for the 883, different design and higher specification. The 660 and 770 series were okay at the time, but the 880 range another step up.

The 883 image is way better than the 773 in my opinion, I went through the same process when I bought mine. look for a 2nd hand one if you can't stretch to a new one.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back